Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/70s?

David's and Jacob Holo's newest alternate, cross history novel.
Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/70s?
Post by Montrose Toast   » Tue May 28, 2019 2:01 am

Montrose Toast
Commodore

Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:24 pm
Location: Westminster, Colorado, USA

I started expecting and anticipating events half-way through - like it was a re-read from decades back book.

I'm talking about sections not snippeted.
"Who Dares Wins"
Top
Re: Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Wed May 29, 2019 12:19 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Commander

Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 pm

Montrose Toast wrote:I started expecting and anticipating events half-way through - like it was a re-read from decades back book.

I'm talking about sections not snippeted.


The following is a list with alternate futures fighting it out:

Fritz Leiber's Change War stories (_The Big Time_ is the longest - were the competitors known as the Snakes and the Spiders?)

Keith Laumer's _Dinosaur Beach_

Jack Williamson's _The Legion of Time_ (serialized in 1938, it is the oldest on this list)
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Top
Re: Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/
Post by Dilandu   » Thu May 30, 2019 12:03 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Posts: 2004
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

Well, some parts have a striking similarity with old "Command & Conquer: Red Alert" game:

* Hitler dies early under mysterious circumstances - check.
* Nazi party not in power in Germany - check.
* Stalin became the Big Bad for totally nonsencial reasons - check.
* USSR started the World War 2 in 1945 by invading Estern Europe - check.
* Western nations eagerly formed some sort of "Great Alliance" - check.
* USA get involved for vasically no reasons for them to do so - check.
* ...Who cares about all those Russians killed, er, I mean, glorious victory for Democracy & Free Market - check.
* Totally ridiculous post-communist government (premier Romanov from Tsar family in Red Alert 2, german general as a "prince" of Ukraine in Gordian Protocol) - check.

Seriously, one or two similarities I would dismiss as aciidental. But eight? ;)
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 am

TFLYTSNBN
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1519
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Dilandu wrote:Well, some parts have a striking similarity with old "Command & Conquer: Red Alert" game:

* Hitler dies early under mysterious circumstances - check.
* Nazi party not in power in Germany - check.
* Stalin became the Big Bad for totally nonsencial reasons - check.
* USSR started the World War 2 in 1945 by invading Estern Europe - check.
* Western nations eagerly formed some sort of "Great Alliance" - check.
* USA get involved for vasically no reasons for them to do so - check.
* ...Who cares about all those Russians killed, er, I mean, glorious victory for Democracy & Free Market - check.
* Totally ridiculous post-communist government (premier Romanov from Tsar family in Red Alert 2, german general as a "prince" of Ukraine in Gordian Protocol) - check.

Seriously, one or two similarities I would dismiss as aciidental. But eight? ;)



I would suggest that the common themes are a probable coincidence given American attitudes about Hitler, the Nazis, the Germans, Stalin, the USSR and Russians. Hitler is viewed as the trigger that turned Germans into monsters and started WW2. With Hitler eliminated, Germans rehabiliated, and WW2 (as we know it) averted, the only plausible nemises is Stalin and the USSR.
Top
Re: Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:09 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Posts: 2004
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
I would suggest that the common themes are a probable coincidence given American attitudes about Hitler, the Nazis, the Germans, Stalin, the USSR and Russians. Hitler is viewed as the trigger that turned Germans into monsters and started WW2. With Hitler eliminated, Germans rehabiliated, and WW2 (as we know it) averted, the only plausible nemises is Stalin and the USSR.


Yes, this is a (unfortunately) common oversimplification of the actual picture. Pretty annoying, must admit, but probably becuse I did not expect to meet such thing in RFC book.
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:01 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Posts: 2409
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Dilandu wrote:Well, some parts have a striking similarity with old "Command & Conquer: Red Alert" game:

* Hitler dies early under mysterious circumstances - check.
* Nazi party not in power in Germany - check.
* Stalin became the Big Bad for totally nonsencial reasons - check.
* USSR started the World War 2 in 1945 by invading Estern Europe - check.
* Western nations eagerly formed some sort of "Great Alliance" - check.
* USA get involved for vasically no reasons for them to do so - check.
* ...Who cares about all those Russians killed, er, I mean, glorious victory for Democracy & Free Market - check.
* Totally ridiculous post-communist government (premier Romanov from Tsar family in Red Alert 2, german general as a "prince" of Ukraine in Gordian Protocol) - check.

Seriously, one or two similarities I would dismiss as aciidental. But eight? ;)


Well, I'll take your word for the similarities. I sort of have to, since I've never played or read the game in question.


"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Top
Re: Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:29 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Posts: 2004
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

runsforcelery wrote:
Well, I'll take your word for the similarities. I sort of have to, since I've never played or read the game in question.


Well, then it's just a perfect example of "how complex coincidence could sometimes be". Or, a parallel thinking from common starting point (and an example of historical determinism also...)
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Posts: 2409
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Dilandu wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:
Well, I'll take your word for the similarities. I sort of have to, since I've never played or read the game in question.


Well, then it's just a perfect example of "how complex coincidence could sometimes be". Or, a parallel thinking from common starting point (and an example of historical determinism also...)


Could it also at least possibly be a bit of "in the eye of the beholder"?

Just asking.


"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Top
Re: Do large parts read familiar? From something in the 60/
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:16 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Posts: 2004
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

runsforcelery wrote:
Could it also at least possibly be a bit of "in the eye of the beholder"?

Just asking.


A probability, yes) After all, there are small lie, big lie, monstrous lie, and - above all them - statistical similarities)))
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top

Return to The Gordian Protocol