Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

The Myth of the Eastern Front

David's and Jacob Holo's newest alternate, cross history novel.
Re: The Myth of the Eastern Front
Post by GregD   » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:45 am

GregD
Lieutenant Commander

Dilandu wrote:A really good English-language book about the (unfortunately, popular) myth of "clean, honorable Wehrmacht":

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/217 ... tern_Front

This myth - on which, unfortunately, "The Gordian Protocol" relied upon quite a bit - is basically a post-war construct, created with the one simple goal: to make re-militarization of West Germany less appalling to Europeans. So, the myth was created that "it was those bad SS who done all crimes and massacres, and Wehrmacht was not involved on any significant level". Being Russian (whom ancestors happens to be under German occupation on Ukraine) I knew rather perfectly, that it is a lie.

So, I rather recommend this book to Western readers. It shows rather perfectly, that it is not enough to "just remove Nazi party from power" to create "good, noble German Army against those evil Russians"; to do that, you basically need to filter the whole Wehrmacht, completely removing all Nazi sympathizers (i.e. more that a half of total number of officers, especially on the top).

Wow, you just don't get it, do you?

1: The Holodomor was the deliberate murder of Ukrainians by the Soviet Gov't. That is documented in nauseating detail

2: What the Gordian Protocol relies on is that the Ukrainians wanted to ally with the invading Germans against Stalin, but the Nazi commanded invading Germans were murderous bastards. This is, again, well documented in history.

3: Invading Germans NOT commanded by insane Nazi bastards do not need to replicated the murderous idiocies of the Nazi commanded Germans. What part of that can you not grasp?

4: In our Nazi v. Commie timeline, everyone committed atrocities on the Eastern Front. I'm aware of that, David's aware of that, and I'm pretty sure his co-author is aware of that. Extrapolating from that to "any Germans, no matter what their leadership, would initiate the commission of atrocities on the Eastern Front" is a jump you're going to have to justify with more than "the, the Wehrmacht under the Nazis did it."
Re: The Myth of the Eastern Front
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:07 am

Dilandu
Admiral

GregD wrote:
1: The Holodomor was the deliberate murder of Ukrainians by the Soviet Gov't. That is documented in nauseating detail

Since I'm half-Ukrainean, whom grandparents lived through Holodomor I think I knew about it a bit better than you...

3: Invading Germans NOT commanded by insane Nazi bastards do not need to replicated the murderous idiocies of the Nazi commanded Germans. What part of that can you not grasp?

You seems to not grasp, that the majority of murderous idiocies were performed not by Nazi, but by the pretty average German soldiers. And German soldiers, well... have BAD reputation even since World War I. You seems to not know anything about German atrocities in Belgium and in occupied Eastern areas. And this was LONG before any Nazi appeared on horizon.

Thing is, while Nazi were the extreme, the average German nationalists weren't anywhere better. German nationalism was not some Nazi invention; it was far older concept.

4: In our Nazi v. Commie timeline, everyone committed atrocities on the Eastern Front. I'm aware of that, David's aware of that, and I'm pretty sure his co-author is aware of that. Extrapolating from that to "any Germans, no matter what their leadership, would initiate the commission of atrocities on the Eastern Front" is a jump you're going to have to justify with more than "the, the Wehrmacht under the Nazis did it."

First of all, not "everyone". Italians were decent guys.

Secondly, while I'm sure David aware of that, you seems to not grasping the fact, that any 1930s Germans, no matter what their leadership, would initiate the commission of atrocities on the Eastern Front, simply because of deeply-rooted nationalism and century long propaganda of Germany's "divine right" to conquer & subjugate. Germany were notoriously nationalistic, with heredity-based concepts of citizenship & very enthusiastic acceptance of social-darwinism since the old German Empire unification.

And no, it was impossible to threw Germans out of that without beating them HARD. No "Kaiser" would be able to stay in power in 1940s if he wouldn't be ultra-nationalistic to the core. While the German's military crimes may be less... organized without Nazi, they still would be as horrific as possible, when you send a bunch of nationalists absolutely assured that their destiny is to conquer "lesser races", take their land & rape their women over the "untermench" population.
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)

Return to The Gordian Protocol