Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

HV RTS game

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
HV RTS game
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:04 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Does any forumite know if there are any RTS games for the HV, like Red Alert, Age of Empires or Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Re: HV RTS game
Post by munroburton   » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:42 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Nope. Not a sniff. :(

There was Tales of Honor - not exactly a RTS, but the only official HV video game, along with the SITS tabletop game. Support for the former has ended with the collapse of Evergreen Studios, unfortunately.

I know people tried to create mods for various popular games, but those have been shut down and are not encouraged.

As for the games you listed, ehh. They're all ground-based strategy games - I'd really prefer something more spacey like Homeworld or Sins of a Solar Empire.
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:11 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

I know people tried to create mods for various popular games, but those have been shut down and are not encouraged.

An astoundingly stupid and shortsighted policy.

You simply can´t beat the creativity of thousands.
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:52 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

munroburton wrote:Nope. Not a sniff. :(

There was Tales of Honor - not exactly a RTS, but the only official HV video game, along with the SITS tabletop game. Support for the former has ended with the collapse of Evergreen Studios, unfortunately.

As for the games you listed, ehh. They're all ground-based strategy games - I'd really prefer something more spacey like Homeworld or Sins of a Solar Empire.

Munroburton, was that circa windows 3.1/ME/95?

I seem to remember a game of that era that was based on building up a space faring polity, can't remember the name though.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by munroburton   » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:39 pm

munroburton
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
munroburton wrote:Nope. Not a sniff. :(

Munroburton, was that circa windows 3.1/ME/95?

I seem to remember a game of that era that was based on building up a space faring polity, can't remember the name though.

95/98. The first Homeworld came out in 1999. The stock game was awe-inducing back then - I still remember the demo vividly. And it was extremely mod friendly, perhaps explaining why it was third on a top ten list made in 2010, eleven years after its release. Sequels weren't as good as the original, unfortunately.

When I refer to it as an example for a HV game, I meant as in a combat sim. Grouping ships together(good ol' ctrl+1-9), using formations and throwing them around a three-dimensional map. The mothership-style logistics and battlefield production is completely wrong for HV, of course.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:29 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

munroburton wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:Munroburton, was that circa windows 3.1/ME/95?

95/98. The first Homeworld came out in 1999. The stock game was awe-inducing back then - I still remember the demo vividly. And it was extremely mod friendly, perhaps explaining why it was third on a top ten list made in 2010, eleven years after its release. Sequels weren't as good as the original, unfortunately.

When I refer to it as an example for a HV game, I meant as in a combat sim. Grouping ships together(good ol' ctrl+1-9), using formations and throwing them around a three-dimensional map. The mothership-style logistics and battlefield production is completely wrong for HV, of course.

Fantastic game made even better with the Homeworld Remastered set that was released earlier this year. They imported the original game into the HW2 engine (unfortunately, with the same limitations as the HW2 engine - dice rolls for weapons hits instead of real-time calculations for particle collisions in the first game, and some other stuff I can't recall), with resolutions up to 4K, a completely remastered soundtrack, including voice acting - they brought back the same woman that vioced Karan S'Jet/Fleet Command in the original. Only voice actor that wasn't brought back was Cambell Lane (the Bentusi), due to his being deceased.

Both HW and HW2 were remastered, and the original versions were also released with the same set. Cataclysm wasn't included since Barking Dog Studios did that one, and unfortunately, they didn't include the Raider Retreat missions that were released seperately (for free) a few months after the original game was released. No biggie... I still have my original game discs (for all three major releases) + the Raider Retreat disc.

I ended up buying the Collector's Edition that includes a very nice HW2 mothership model that stands about 14-15 inches tall including the display stand. Plugs into a USB port to light up the engines and docking bays. It also came with an extremely well-made Art of Homeworld book about 250 pages of high-quality paper, a smaller (in physical dimensions only) and updated version of the original game manual (which I also still have) that includes all the Hiigaran back history, overview of the clans, ship list, etc., and a HW2-style logo keychain.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:23 am

munroburton
Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:Fantastic game made even better with the Homeworld Remastered set that was released earlier this year. They imported the original game into the HW2 engine (unfortunately, with the same limitations as the HW2 engine - dice rolls for weapons hits instead of real-time calculations for particle collisions in the first game, and some other stuff I can't recall), with resolutions up to 4K, a completely remastered soundtrack, including voice acting - they brought back the same woman that vioced Karan S'Jet/Fleet Command in the original. Only voice actor that wasn't brought back was Cambell Lane (the Bentusi), due to his being deceased.

Both HW and HW2 were remastered, and the original versions were also released with the same set. Cataclysm wasn't included since Barking Dog Studios did that one, and unfortunately, they didn't include the Raider Retreat missions that were released seperately (for free) a few months after the original game was released. No biggie... I still have my original game discs (for all three major releases) + the Raider Retreat disc.

I ended up buying the Collector's Edition that includes a very nice HW2 mothership model that stands about 14-15 inches tall including the display stand. Plugs into a USB port to light up the engines and docking bays. It also came with an extremely well-made Art of Homeworld book about 250 pages of high-quality paper, a smaller (in physical dimensions only) and updated version of the original game manual (which I also still have) that includes all the Hiigaran back history, overview of the clans, ship list, etc., and a HW2-style logo keychain.

Yup, the amount of background stuff you got in the HW and HWC manuals is breathtaking. Actually took them on holiday as reading material once. :D

Return to Multimedia