Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Tales of Honor: Bred to Kill #1 *Spoilers*

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Tales of Honor: Bred to Kill #1 *Spoilers*
Post by Greentea   » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Greentea
Commander

So I stopped by my neighborhood comic store and picked up issue #1 of the new arc. It is indeed a completely new story that never appeared in canon before. Honor and the crew are on leave (sometime between the events of Honor of the Queen and Honor's tour through Silesia after Basilisk Station) when she learns Uncle Jacques has gone missing on a notorious pleasure station. She asks Harkness for assistance, which means Scotty tags along. It is definitely a bit more intriguing than the last arc (partially aided by being a new story) and the artwork feels a bit cleaner. I also know understand what Weber meant by a few things that don't quite make sense. I would not expect a genetic slave to just admit it, it'd make more sense if the person found out who Honor is then showed her tongue. Otherwise it is quite intriguing. Again the arc starts in a flashback sequence. We know Honor starts in trouble and we are seeing what led up to that, before seeing how she gets out of trouble.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Re: Tales of Honor: Bred to Kill #1 *Spoilers*
Post by hvb   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:30 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Nice improvement on Nimitz by Linda Sejic! :mrgreen:

... I still don't like the "not-mid not-a-pelvis" location of the mid-limbs -which may, alas, be something Evergreen has locked in as a "too much sunk cost to correct by now" feature- but other than that, the feel is much closer than the first go-around by Jung-Guen Yoon & Sang-Il Jeong, and not just because he has finally put on a fur coat. :roll:

If the mid-limbs could be moved to the correct location, which physiology happens to be an important plot point in the very book the backward-glancing is executed from, and if the paws could feature more manipulation-enabled fingers, we would IMHO be just about there.

Greentea wrote:So I stopped by my neighborhood comic store and picked up issue #1 of the new arc. It is indeed a completely new story that never appeared in canon before. Honor and the crew are on leave (sometime between the events of Honor of the Queen and Honor's tour through Silesia after Basilisk Station) when she learns Uncle Jacques has gone missing on a notorious pleasure station. She asks Harkness for assistance, which means Scotty tags along. It is definitely a bit more intriguing than the last arc (partially aided by being a new story) and the artwork feels a bit cleaner. I also know understand what Weber meant by a few things that don't quite make sense. I would not expect a genetic slave to just admit it, it'd make more sense if the person found out who Honor is then showed her tongue. Otherwise it is quite intriguing. Again the arc starts in a flashback sequence. We know Honor starts in trouble and we are seeing what led up to that, before seeing how she gets out of trouble.
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:51 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

When is the next edition coming out? I need my HH fix!!!!
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:58 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Spoiler Alert!!!!

If the beast shown at the end is a Hexapuma and the beast shown at the start is a Peak Bear then there is something amiss, my impression from the books is that a Hexapuma is bigger than a Peak Bear.
I could be wrong and if I am I fully expect to be shot down in flames :mrgreen:
T&R
GJS

Post by SWM   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:11 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Spoiler Alert!!!!

If the beast shown at the end is a Hexapuma and the beast shown at the start is a Peak Bear then there is something amiss, my impression from the books is that a Hexapuma is bigger than a Peak Bear.

Peak bear is not as dangerous as a hexapuma, but is definitely bigger.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Frankjg   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I absolutely liked the way this series started. 3 musketeers causing trouble. I especially liked the how Harkness and Tremaire were intorduced into this adventure. Scotty's reaction to the lady in Harkness's room was priceless. The best part of this issue, that had several good parts. Can not wait till issue #2.

Keep up the good work. Two big thumbs up.
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:03 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

SWM wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:Spoiler Alert!!!!

Peak bear is not as dangerous as a hexapuma, but is definitely bigger.

Finally found my copy of the Letter from Stephanie short story, and the Peak Bear is described as viewing a human as a snack, whereas a Hexapuma would consider a human as a single serving.
T&R
GJS

Post by Direwolf18   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:13 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Holy crap Nimitz doesn't induce nightmares!

Wooo!
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:16 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

And who is the man behind the veil? Nimitz notices him, but then does nothing. Hmmmm....

Could be Uncle Jacques (Nimitz would know him), but if not, my bet is a certain Audobon Ballroom personage known to us (Nimitz would taste that he is on the same side--and just a focused as a treecat).

We shall see, eventually.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Multimedia