Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Facets of Honor Webcomic

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Facets of Honor Webcomic
Post by Greentea   » Wed May 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Greentea
Commander

Facets of Honor, a webcomic series designed to fit between the Silesian pirates comic (the Free Comic Book Day one) and the upcoming second run in June, are available on IO9. See the first one here http://io9.com/scifi-heroine-honor-harrington-returns-to-comics-in-thi-1702569080 The next one will be released next week.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Re: Facets of Honor Webcomic
Post by Evergreen Studios   » Wed May 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Evergreen Studios
Official Representative

Thanks for posting that up ; here's the second one out today!

http://io9.com/honor-harrington-confron ... 1704210548
Post by Dca   » Fri May 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

Powerful! At least for those of us who know the story. The longitude makes it tough to align with the book plots, but this is an important theme. Maybe it's just me (or foreshadowing) but I wouldn't take a little blood on tile amiss. In any case, this is not only a cornerstone of Honor's personality, I see parallels in current treatment of women in combat and STEM roles.
Post by wetnavy   » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:41 pm

wetnavy
Ensign

Dealing with sexual assault is a very difficult and touchy subject for all forms of media entertainment. Issue 2, Mended, deals with how Honor's experience at the academy was a major part in forming her character. The Mary Sue website interviewed Mairghread Scott, the writer for Mended, about how she approached the issue and collaborator Dr Andrea Letamendi.

http://www.themarysue.com/mairghread-sc ... -of-honor/

TMS: Andrea, often when The Mary Sue writes critically about the way violence against women is depicted in media, we’re told to calm down because “it’s just a show/movie/comic/game.” As a psychologist (or as a nerd!), what are your thoughts on the influence of comics like Mended on readers and fans?

Andrea Letamendi: The characters themselves may not be real, but their stories are very real; so to dismiss narratives about trauma is similar to silencing those who have lived that experience in one way or another. As a mental health provider, I’ve worked with both men and women who have experienced what’s called MST – Military Sexual Trauma – which includes exposure to sexual assault or repeated sexual harassment occurring during one’s service in the military workplace. MST deserves attention because it often goes unrecognized and is associated with difficult feelings like shame, guilt, self-blame and other damaging emotions that impact a person’s commitment, outlook, and dignity as a service member. This is why Honor’s story is so important to me. Honor is the women, men, and children I have worked with who have survived something life-threatening and disparaging, and who have the perseverance and willpower to keep moving on. It’s because Honor, and characters like her, are not real that we are able to carry a safe and educational dialogue about these issues, and welcome those who are trauma survivors into these roles we call “heroes.”

I think that it's a thoughtful interview and shows the care with which the writer's, illustrators and Evergreen are taking with the Honorverse.
Post by pokermind   » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:36 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Nimitz looked better less satanic.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to Multimedia