Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

New Nimitz Sneak Peek

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

What do you think of the new Nimitz creative direction?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Love it
33%
Meh
57%
Hate it
10%

Total votes : 21

New Nimitz Sneak Peek
Post by Evergreen Studios   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Evergreen Studios
Official Representative

We here at Evergreen have read and discussed the feedback the Honorverse gave us regarding Nimitz. We heard you loud and clear. Take a look at where we are now and let us know what you think! http://www.bit.ly/ToHNimitz
Re: New Nimitz Sneak Peek
Post by Greentea   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Greentea
Commander

It's an improvement. I can see how treecats got the name treecats and I can see how they can look cute most of the time, until they don't. I'm not 100% wild, but it is a definite improvment that fits more in how I picture Nimitz.

Evergreen Studios wrote:We here at Evergreen have read and discussed the feedback the Honorverse gave us regarding Nimitz. We heard you loud and clear. Take a look at where we are now and let us know what you think! http://www.bit.ly/ToHNimitz
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by Senior Chief   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:13 am

Senior Chief
Commander

Evergreen Studios wrote:We here at Evergreen have read and discussed the feedback the Honorverse gave us regarding Nimitz. We heard you loud and clear. Take a look at where we are now and let us know what you think! http://www.bit.ly/ToHNimitz

Looks to feral, not something that someone would want sitting on their shoulder.
Post by crewdude48   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:34 am

crewdude48
Commodore

You really should have an option between "meh" and "love it.". Something along the lines of "pretty good, but definitely a hundred times better than some of the older stuff."
Post by SWM   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:28 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

I could take that. I'm voting Love It, but would really put it at 4 on a 5-point scale. It looks like it would work pretty well.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by SWM   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:30 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Weird. I voted Love It, but that is still showing 0 votes.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by hvb   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:34 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

crewdude48 wrote:You really should have an option between "meh" and "love it.". Something along the lines of "pretty good, but definitely a hundred times better than some of the older stuff."

Well I just posted this on the thread Spacewiki started, but it qualifies as a between "meh" and "love it", and with some input on the why and wherefores thereof. :geek:

Spacekiwi wrote:[failed-url deleted]

Have to say Evergreen, He's starting to look much better. Proportions seem a little off, but that might be the angle, and the viciousness/cute balance is much better this time round. :)

I concur with fallsfromtrees. Overall a marked improvement, definitely ball-parking, but not quite there yet.

In specific:

Arms/Forelimbs & Midlimbs: much closer to what I would hope for than the “T-Rex forelimbs” from the running sequence.

The forelimb hands don’t seem to have fingers long enough at all to give the good grip needed for a Paleolithic tool-user species, also they are tetradactyl: three forward-pointing fingers is correct … plus an opposable thumb, also known as Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Image.

Midlimb thumbs seem absent/not-shown as well; I would like to see at least ‘vestigial partial duplication’ of the forelimb thumbs on a scale of say the Bonobo thumb (‘apposable’, but not ‘opposable’ if one likes that terminology), Phalangeridae Marsupials are another example and have the advantage from the artist’s POV that they have three fingers: just grap a pic, crop the opposable thumb number to one; heck, keep the distal thumb for the true-hands and the proximate thumb for the foot-hand; one stop shopping; fiddle with length until it looks like it can hold and use a net, a basket, and a handaxe/flint-knife, and just add fur.

Size is still a bit large for shoulder-carry, but also a step in the right direction. (Yes, Honor is a heavy-worlder, but she also needs to be able to shoulder-carry him on that self-same heavy world, so that parameter should be largely a wash).

The facial expression doesn’t look at all like the treecat we all know … to be a stinker, that is. Ok for some other more serious ‘cat (being serious), but not Laughs Brightly.

Still not sold on the horns / bifocated Parasaurolophus crest / “<bleek> tubes” or whatever they are; what is their biological function … that David Weber omitted to tell us about because it wasn’t important to any particular story so far, yet was biologically advantageous enough for it to be retained be natural selection?

The otter like-on-the-inside/cat like-on-the-outside tail is also absent from the image, so cannot be commented on.

Not liking the sideburns/mane on this one, but better hands & a clearly visible and well executed midpelvis/midlimb arrangement (which is not clearly visible in the Evergreen pic, but could already be similarly implemented, no telling from that angle):

Post by strapakai   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:24 pm

strapakai
Ensign

This critter is a step in the right direction.
I really don't like the sideburns.
I think the ears are way too long. They would freeze right off during winter. They should be smaller and round along the lines of a lynx.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:55 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Much better. :)

Maybe just remove the mohawk and shrink him slightly now? still looks slightly too big to sit on her shoulder too well.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by biochem   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:57 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

Much Much better. I agree though that you need something between love it and Meh.

It's a huge improvement and much less likely to generate a "Get the shotgun and shoot that thing" reaction, but it still isn't cute enough. The facial features are too sharp and need to be relaxed a bit.

http://www.quora.com/From-a-psychologic ... ts-so-cute

Return to Multimedia