Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

New Nimitz Sneak Peek

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

What do you think of the new Nimitz creative direction?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Love it
33%
Meh
57%
Hate it
10%

Total votes : 21

Re: New Nimitz Sneak Peek
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:07 am

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Best one yet, though I agree it's not perfect. The angles of the face seem a bit too harsh/severe to be cute+cuddly.

On the other hand, the pupil-less zombie Honor placeholder drawing made me snort.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

It's amazing the difference the fur makes. Much, much better. Still not perfect, but I'd say he's actually acceptable now.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:50 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Agree that is it is much better. Would have preferred a scale of 1-5, instead of 1-3 I voted Loved it, but would have voted 4 instead of 5, given the choice
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by pokermind   » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:30 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Still has that devil cat look better but still misses being cute and cuddly by a country mile. This is the Honorverse not Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy so what's with the Giant mutant space goat look?

David wanted treecats to look non threatening and are until the claws come out. Your concept is they look dangerous, hmm not easy to have both :D

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:06 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

I pretty much agree with everyone else - it's definitely a vast improvement, but still short of what most of us think a treecat should/ought to/might look like.

My biggest issues are the horns (those need to just plain go, as in away), and the constant pissed-off look he has had since day one. If I ever saw a cat, tree variety or standard terran, with that look, I'd be extremely wary. The entire point of treecats is that they look nice and sweet and fuzzy and cuddly - until they're not.

How many scenes are there in the books where children are playing with various 'cats? Would you let your child play with the one in the image? I wouldn't, and my kids love cats.

Edit: I voted Meh because while he's much better, he still falling short.
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:22 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

Agree with the previous posters. It's a big improvement - though not quite there yet.

I voted 'love it' anyway because I appreciate the effort and I really think compared to where you guys started out you are 90% there now.

MaxxQ wrote:I pretty much agree with everyone else - it's definitely a vast improvement, but still short of what most of us think a treecat should/ought to/might look like.

My biggest issues are the horns (those need to just plain go, as in away), and the constant pissed-off look he has had since day one. If I ever saw a cat, tree variety or standard terran, with that look, I'd be extremely wary. The entire point of treecats is that they look nice and sweet and fuzzy and cuddly - until they're not.

How many scenes are there in the books where children are playing with various 'cats? Would you let your child play with the one in the image? I wouldn't, and my kids love cats.

Edit: I voted Meh because while he's much better, he still falling short.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Hmm, a thought - how does that Nimitz throw a frisbee? Because Nimitz really needs to be able to throw frisbees and tennis balls, etc.
Post by hvb   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Crown Loyalist wrote:Hmm, a thought - how does that Nimitz throw a frisbee? Because Nimitz really needs to be able to throw frisbees and tennis balls, etc.

Finally, someone who mentions the other (more subtle?) glaring problem.

'shameless plug' :mrgreen: of my page 1 post, where I wrote:The forelimb hands don’t seem to have fingers long enough at all to give the good grip needed for a Paleolithic tool-user species, also they are tetradactyl: three forward-pointing fingers is correct … plus an opposable thumb, also known as Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Image.

Without opposable thumbs, Nimitz is going to loose half his repertoire. Petting zoo, stalking and <bleek!>-and-leap Kzinti rip-offs will be all that's left. :(
Post by mark   » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:51 pm

mark
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Looks a lot better. Maybe you could create a version of him playing chess? I think that would add a nice, thoughtful look, and probably does quite a bit of legwork to establish a rational mind hiding inside..
Post by Kornati-Split   » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:33 am

Kornati-Split
Ensign

Getting there, Evergreen, but still needs some work. Ask yourself this, would you let your teenage daughter/niece bring that thing into your house? As things stand now I'd let it play in the front yard with adult supervision, on a leash ;)

Return to Multimedia