Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

HonorCon 2014 - Intro Animation

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
HonorCon 2014 - Intro Animation
Post by Evergreen Studios   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Evergreen Studios
Official Representative

Hi All - thought we would post this little sequence up for all those who couldn't attend HonorCon this year. We decided it would be fun to do a little introduction piece for the presentation using our prototyper technology ; it's based on some characters we built for The Secret Fleet. It's not representative of anything in particular, purely for your entertainment!(*)

Hope you enjoy!

http://bit.ly/HonorconIntro

(*) As such please direct people to the link here rather than sharing the link everywhere
Re: HonorCon 2014 - Intro Animation
Post by hvb   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:14 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Are you quite sure this isn't the sequence for the orthodontist convention? :P

I am with Tourville, I don't find CG Nimitz cuddly either.

Evergreen Studios wrote:Hi All - thought we would post this little sequence up for all those who couldn't attend HonorCon this year.
[snip]
http://bit.ly/HonorconIntro
Post by pokermind   » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:20 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Cute. I also agree with Tourville the new Nimitz is far from cute & cuddly, sigh. :lol:

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by clancy688   » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:07 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

That surely looks *a lot* like some kind of Mass Effect Mod. :shock:
Post by Dca   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

Did Lester mis-read Locke's rank, or did the costumer mess up? Both RMN crew were referred to as Lt Commander, but Locke had 2 pips while Grace had 3. Minor detail in a nice rendering, although I hope you'll use human actors for the movie.

I'm more interested in the accents. I like Tourville's French, although I can't get "dirty English knnnnn-igts" out of my mind. I had always imagined Manticore having a London accent in general, although the slow aristocratic version might be more like Charles Emerson Winchester III. (Better than a Southern accent!) Locke had a pretty ordinary American accent though, which I found jarring.

Will the Gryphons have Scottish accents? I hope so, unless you want to make up totally new accents. And what is a Sphinx accent? Irish? South African? Please not Australian! And I hope the Graysons have another distinctive accent. Texas, maybe, given their C&W preference.
Post by hvb   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:22 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

As for accents, the Sphinxian accent is said to be crisper ... than Manticore III 1900 PD-contemporary English (which we don't know how soft & mealy-mouthed is, so that is a comparison with an unknown standard :geek: )

The following comparisons seem "standard":
Manticore III: The Queen's English (as opposed to US same)
Aristocrats (Manti III & elsewhere): "Drawling" (US/UK examples?)

Sphinx: Crisper ... maybe US Bronx Accent-ish vs Manti III Queens English? (Sphinx' US Queens vs M III's the Queens might be taking the joke too far :lol: )
... albeit with both Harrington & White Haven being located in Wales, maybe a mirror-reversed Welsh accent, with the stretched bits being chipped and etc., would be more the ticket (and maybe as funny too :mrgreen: ).

Gryphon: Scots has been suggested a number of times ... Irish might also be a possibility.

Haven (the system, not the whole polity) is going to be talking English with a francophone accent. Peeps from other places in the PRC could have other accents ... or if schools on their homeworld teach Native + French + English, with a somewhat non-French francophone note.

Similarly Andies from New Berlin would speak English with a (sometimes heavy) German note ... except that would be a German that has itself been heavily accented with the original Cantonese of the original colonists.
The lower decks would probably be very Cantonese-influenced, while the aristocratic officer corps would be far more Prussian-influenced (so a New Berlin mustang would be recognizable by accent alone)
... the schools of other Andermani Empire worlds likely teach Native + English + German (or + German + English), for a similar-but-different effect as for the PRH above.
:ugeek:

Dca wrote:Did Lester mis-read Locke's rank, or did the costumer mess up? Both RMN crew were referred to as Lt Commander, but Locke had 2 pips while Grace had 3. Minor detail in a nice rendering, although I hope you'll use human actors for the movie.

I'm more interested in the accents. I like Tourville's French, although I can't get "dirty English knnnnn-igts" out of my mind. I had always imagined Manticore having a London accent in general, although the slow aristocratic version might be more like Charles Emerson Winchester III. (Better than a Southern accent!) Locke had a pretty ordinary American accent though, which I found jarring.

Will the Gryphons have Scottish accents? I hope so, unless you want to make up totally new accents. And what is a Sphinx accent? Irish? South African? Please not Australian! And I hope the Graysons have another distinctive accent. Texas, maybe, given their C&W preference.
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:46 pm

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Does anyone else think Tourville looks vaguely like Albert Einstein?
Post by yannosh   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:08 pm

yannosh
Commander

Tester damn it people!
THERE. IS. NO. SUCH. THING. AS. SINGULAR. NATIONAL ACCENT!
There are regional trends that are common for accents, but that is all they are - widespread trends, not any kinds of hard and fast rules.
There are multiple widespread accents just in the wider London area for pity's sake!
So, why in the name of all holy and unholy should anyone with half a sense expect just a few accents from populations of multiple planets?!?
Frankly, I find the notion of multiple people of the same world speaking with widely different accents far more organic and palatable, and think it would just go to enforce the idea of just how much nondiscriminatory (as compared to todays) the cultures of honorverse truly are.

Sory for the inflammatory tone and language I just used, but one of my berserk buttons found itself violently slammed.
=-.--.--.*.--.--.-=

Ceterum censeo Foedam solariam delendam esse.

Even the best in the world cannot measure up to a dozen highly motivated good-enoughs.
Post by SWM   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:23 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

yannosh wrote:Tester damn it people!
THERE. IS. NO. SUCH. THING. AS. SINGULAR. NATIONAL ACCENT!
There are regional trends that are common for accents, but that is all they are - widespread trends, not any kinds of hard and fast rules.
There are multiple widespread accents just in the wider London area for pity's sake!
So, why in the name of all holy and unholy should anyone with half a sense expect just a few accents from populations of multiple planets?!?
Frankly, I find the notion of multiple people of the same world speaking with widely different accents far more organic and palatable, and think it would just go to enforce the idea of just how much nondiscriminatory (as compared to todays) the cultures of honorverse truly are.

Sory for the inflammatory tone and language I just used, but one of my berserk buttons found itself violently slammed.

While you are correct, David Weber himself has said that he imagines certain accents for the different planets. The text also talks about accents common to specific planets.

Most of the local accents in the world today date from the period before ubiquitous worldwide communications. It is plausible that, as colonies are typically founded by a limited number of cultural groups which become united in a worldwide communication network, the entire planet develops an accent common to a large portion of the population. In effect, the entire planet becomes the entire community with a common speech rather than the isolated communities of history.

It might not happen that way, but it is plausible.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Kornati-Split   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:22 am

Kornati-Split
Ensign

It would be fun to have the Sollies, as the bad guys, speaking with an East Coast Yank accent :D
Graysons are a no brainer with a soft, southern accent.
But how about the Sillies? Honestly, never thought about them till now :?:

Return to Multimedia