Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

HonorCon 2014 - Intro Animation

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: HonorCon 2014 - Intro Animation
Post by hvb   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:11 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Graysons with soft southern accents? :shock:

Last I hear they was corn-belters, not from the bah-yoo. :mrgreen:

So a soft north-by-northwestern accent. :lol:

Kornati-Split wrote:It would be fun to have the Sollies, as the bad guys, speaking with an East Coast Yank accent :D
Graysons are a no brainer with a soft, southern accent.
But how about the Sillies? Honestly, never thought about them till now :?:
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:49 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:
yannosh wrote:Tester damn it people!
THERE. IS. NO. SUCH. THING. AS. SINGULAR. NATIONAL ACCENT!
There are regional trends that are common for accents, but that is all they are - widespread trends, not any kinds of hard and fast rules.
There are multiple widespread accents just in the wider London area for pity's sake!
So, why in the name of all holy and unholy should anyone with half a sense expect just a few accents from populations of multiple planets?!?
Frankly, I find the notion of multiple people of the same world speaking with widely different accents far more organic and palatable, and think it would just go to enforce the idea of just how much nondiscriminatory (as compared to todays) the cultures of honorverse truly are.

Sory for the inflammatory tone and language I just used, but one of my berserk buttons found itself violently slammed.

While you are correct, David Weber himself has said that he imagines certain accents for the different planets. The text also talks about accents common to specific planets.

Most of the local accents in the world today date from the period before ubiquitous worldwide communications. It is plausible that, as colonies are typically founded by a limited number of cultural groups which become united in a worldwide communication network, the entire planet develops an accent common to a large portion of the population. In effect, the entire planet becomes the entire community with a common speech rather than the isolated communities of history.

It might not happen that way, but it is plausible.

I think that there is a good chance that it will happen that way. You can see the beginnings of it today in the United States, where a lot of the regional accents are being softened into a more common American standard. The accents to exist, but they are becoming less pronounced, and this is with television and radio being widespread for only about 75 years (post WWII). Given hundreds of years of widespread telecommunications, I would expect that most planets will have a fairly common dialect/accent.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Kornati-Split wrote:It would be fun to have the Sollies, as the bad guys, speaking with an East Coast Yank accent :D
hvb wrote:Graysons with soft southern accents? :shock:

IIRC, the textev is that Grayson speech is soft almost a drawl, which is much more of a southern accent than midwestern, even though the majority of Graysons originated from Idaho a thousand years before the current Honorverse time.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by hvb   » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:50 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Why thank you for the correction kind sir; why there I was, thinking that the dialects spoken in Boise and Baton Rouge was distinguishable by more than just a softness and slowness of the pronounciation, like syllable weight, pitch, vocabulary, grammar, and whatnot. How silly of me. :o

Well, there we have it folks, Idahoese (Idahoican? Idahoise?) spoken at a drawl sounds just like Southern Comfort it would seem. :roll:

fallsfromtrees wrote:
hvb wrote:Graysons with soft southern accents? :shock:

IIRC, the textev is that Grayson speech is soft almost a drawl, which is much more of a southern accent than midwestern, even though the majority of Graysons originated from Idaho a thousand years before the current Honorverse time.

Return to Multimedia