Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Bringing Nimitz to Life

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: Bringing Nimitz to Life
Post by crewdude48   » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:49 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

Blackwarder wrote:OMG what the hell was that? A devil Spawn? Seriously? Where is the nice catlike cuddly stinker we all love and cherish?

And am I the only one who didn't see the mid-feets?

Warder

Oh, you did see his mid limbs. They are the ones attached to his shoulders. What you didn't see are his for limbs. They are little T-rex looking arms coming out of his chest.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:58 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi CrewDude48,

Exactly!

Kudos to you and HVB and all the rest for expressing the subtext problem with the comic and the animation.

I totally agree Nimitz has to be first seen as cuddly and cute, his deadliness is innate but like Victor, Leviathan lurks below, unseen until roused.

The anatomical critique regarding the fore pair being so far forward is right on, the T-Rex arm comparison seems quite valid.

For me it might be someone falsely admiring Nimitz looking all cuddly, and when their back is turned he unsheathes all his claws in distaste, and HH tut-tuts him and he relaxes and snuggles up to her; or where the person can't see, he flexes one set of his claws while HH tut-tuts them done.

So he's obviously cute, because EVERYONE REACTS TO TREECATS THAT WAY, but he/they can be fierce is the subtext.

I would think that the cuteness would have been a prime consideration from the get-go, with the lethal transformation [he's still fluffy cute] that has everyone going OH WOW!

Then the audience is going to be eagerly watching to see it happen again.

L

crewdude48 wrote:I fully agree that cute and cuddly with the ability to rip your face off is the way to go. Imagine the impact the dinning room scene would have if most people did not suspect that he could do that. Have a scene earlier in the movie where he gets startled and pops out his claws to get across the fact that he is not a teddy bear, but make him the instantly loveable that he is in the books. I do not feel that there is any good reason to make him frightening. Any Armsman who let that Nimitz into the Protector's house should be shot.

As for the anatomy, I think it looks...off. It looks like a regular 4 legged climbing mammal with a pair of T-rex arms stuck on its chest.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

...I lack both the skill and the computational power to try to create anything like that, but a small thought occurred to me.

There are Treecats (Weber approved) on the covers of several books. Wouldn't that have made an OK starting point?

Of course, after all the work that has been done, throwing it all out and re-starting would be a waste, but it could be worth seeing if the image can be tweaked in that direction a bit...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:51 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Michael Everett,

Unfortunately most of the cover Nimitz's don't meet with RFC's approval, for one reason or another.

Now if RFC were to have a fan competition for a picture of Nimitz and treecats, he might be buried under all of them, but there might be a few that were right on.

L

Michael Everett wrote:...I lack both the skill and the computational power to try to create anything like that, but a small thought occurred to me.

There are Treecats (Weber approved) on the covers of several books. Wouldn't that have made an OK starting point?

Of course, after all the work that has been done, throwing it all out and re-starting would be a waste, but it could be worth seeing if the image can be tweaked in that direction a bit...
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Jlaristotle   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:00 pm

Jlaristotle
Ensign

I dont post often. But Who is the lizard in the you tube video? I always thought a treecat would look . I dont know .. more like a cat?
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:55 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

For what its worth, I really, really hope that David decides to make a comment on this thread.

For what little along those lines that I can add, from having been present at the reveal of this clip at Honorcon:

1) David had not seen this animated clip before the Evergreen Honorcon 2014 presentation, at least according to his own testimony, although he HAS seen almost all of the evolving concept art for Nimitz, and provided his comments on it.

2) David's exact words upon seeing this clip of Nimitz (current working concept version) in motion were, "Oooh, Shiny!"

dreamrider
Post by biochem   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:02 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

The cute with the sudden shift to dangerous is key to so many plot points. This thing just looks like someone's nightmare.
Post by Festival   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:38 am

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

This doesn't worry me one bit from the "cute and cuddly" standpoint, actually. When they are able to add his fur, it will significantly change the appearance. My own housecat is as cute and cuddly as it gets, but when her long fur is soaking wet, there's a whole lot less "cute and cuddly" in evidence. My friend's Sphynx cat (hairless...) is downright scary looking, although he's a total sweetheart.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:53 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

pokermind wrote:"It was important for Nimitz to visually look like he had the ability and will to viciously attack and kill from the minute you were introduced to him. He had to look dangerous."

WHY?

Cute cuddly suddenly gets vicious like the little green men in Galaxy Quest, it worked then. Nimitz is soft and cuddly until he isn't in the books should work on screen too, a surprize.

Poker

Totally agree.

Nimitz is very specifically NOT dangerous looking.

The basic plot is totally ruined in several places if Nimitz starts out looking like a Gremlin after a prolonged midnight snack.

crewdude48 wrote:As for the anatomy, I think it looks...off. It looks like a regular 4 legged climbing mammal with a pair of T-rex arms stuck on its chest.

Agreed. I´m having trouble seeing that it isn´t a 4 legger running.
Climbing it looked better but still too much like a 4 legger than a 6 legger.
Post by Starsaber   » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jlaristotle wrote:I dont post often. But Who is the lizard in the you tube video? I always thought a treecat would look . I dont know .. more like a cat?

As they said in the initial post, they wanted to nail down the animation before adding fur.

Return to Multimedia