Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

A word of advice to the noob :-)

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
A word of advice to the noob :-)
Post by Seraph   » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:05 am

Seraph
Midshipman

Installed the game just yesteday and played all day with great pleasure.
I guess, I moved forward a bit too quickly, but at the moment the sutuation is as this: I just entered the Breslau Sector and can't beat the mission 18 ship. All I have aboard is upgraded to maximum already, so I need some new stuff.
Normally I would hunt for some pirates to earn some resources and components for upgrade, but there seems none available at this point.
What should I do?

P.S. Sorry for possible mistakes, English is not my native language.
Re: A word of advice to the noob :-)
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:16 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

I'd suggest re-doing missions that you've already done. Don't sell everything you grab, things that reduce loading/recharge times are very important, almost as much as level boosters. Upgrade your boosters first, then the other equipment. Yes, this takes time or loads of Prestige, but the payoff (game-wise) is worth it as it'll make your ship tougher and better armed.
Also, if you somehow pick something up that's too high a level for you to use at this time, DON'T SELL IT! Keep it for when you can use it. Trust me on that, you don't want to feel like slamming your head into a wall because you suddenly realised that you'd sold a L5 missile loader four missions prior and was suffering from anaemic firing rates as a result.

Other than that, keep plugging on and good luck!
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Seraph   » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:24 am

Seraph
Midshipman

Michael Everett wrote:I'd suggest re-doing missions that you've already done.

Yeah, but #18 is the first mission in the sector, there is nothing to redo yet. And I believe I can't return to the previous sector?
I'm afraid even to use expendable missiles, cause I will not be able to replenish the supply if I lose...
Post by Seraph   » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:25 pm

Seraph
Midshipman

I've managed to proceed further. Now I have a lot of (?) missions to loot from.
But also there are two (!) side missions: the one with captives, and the one with Ragnar outpost.
What's wrong with them? I beat the mission, get the loot, then nothing happens - no debriefing, just returning to the main screen.
And the (!) signs are still on the map.
How to clear those side missions?
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Seraph wrote:I've managed to proceed further. Now I have a lot of (?) missions to loot from.
But also there are two (!) side missions: the one with captives, and the one with Ragnar outpost.
What's wrong with them? I beat the mission, get the loot, then nothing happens - no debriefing, just returning to the main screen.
And the (!) signs are still on the map.
How to clear those side missions?

Those are special missions. Generally, they unlock when you perform certain tasks (destroy X pirates, locate diplomats held prisoner, liberate slaves) and once unlocked, they remain so (barring game overhauls by Evergreen).
Think of them as bonus missions.
They generally hold some good loot, so make sure to do them once a day in order to have a good chance of picking up something useful.

Good luck!
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Duhjoker   » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Duhjoker
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I reccomend all new players check out the Saganami guide here on the this forum, here's the link.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5896

There's a lot of good info here about ships, sectors and systems.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:22 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Max your missiles and keep your sidewalls up as far as you can take them. Sidewalls can absorb missiles that you can't intercept. Early on make sure your lasers are recharging fast. Play the side missions until your ship is up to spec. Buy as many energy boosters as you can. Use the boosters everywhere but engineering.
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Don't forget to grind, grind, grind. If your thumbs can't do the mission without any input from your brain you haven't done it enough times yet. :twisted:

I haven't played strategy games for a while so I forgot the basic rules while in the first sector and struggled in Sector 2 because of it.

1. Redo some of the early missions until you have enough metal and plasma to buy metal and plasma generators.
2. Leave these running on the bridge anytime you aren't actually playing the game. Remember to manually collect the goodies every now and again.
3. Buy as many level boosters as you can possibly fit to your ship in Sector 1. You'll thank me for it. Then level them all up. That's why you are running the resource generators so much.
4. Grind, grind, grind those missions to get the other components you want.
5. Buy lots of missiles.

Get some new resource generators in Sector 2 and stock up lots of metal and plasma before sector 3.

Repeat 1-5 in Sector 3. (There is actually a depot you can access before doing Mission 18, and you may well want to do so.)
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:34 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

When you put out a fire and get a prestige let it self expire, then immediately click on it and you get double prestige.

Flee if you used up a lot of missile, those missiles will return to you. You may still get fires but those make prestige.

Do missions you can't win to get damaged, return to bridge and put the fires out making prestige.

Stick with the main missions, the side missions don't actually do anything, other than open up other mission options but they just repeat over and over again.

Don't waste missiles when making prestige, just fire the endless hull penetrators.

Every time you turn the game off max the metal and plasma building on the bridge. Also add additional upgrade components then remove them once your upgrades are started, same with accelerators for crew members.

buy lots of Hellfire and laser head missiles for later use, you take them with when you upgrade your ships.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:14 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I would add early on to play every orange mission, the text of the side mission tells you how hard it is, often you will get orange missions that have weak offensive ships with missiles that you can basically ignore while firing your own missiles and collecting bounties. Play these repetitively until you can't collect any more items of Legendary level. You will need them later on.

Return to Multimedia