Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Issue #4

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Issue #4
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:31 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

I just got my copies of Tales of Honor #4 yesterday. Things are heating up! I think Matt and Top Cow have done a really good job overall in building to this point, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the final episode plays out.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Issue #4
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing how the final episode plays out.

...but didn't you write the book(s) it's based on?
:?
How do you not know what's going to happen?
:? :?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by hvb   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:57 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Well, there is a difference between reading the last 30-odd pages of the Star Wars screenplay seeing the trench run on screen. :P

Also they have cut a number of toes and heels to get the story into a not very book-shaped slipper, so the interesting part is going to be if they can wrap up the strands they do have with a nice bow on it. ;)

(or if it's gonna track blood all over the floor :? )
Michael Everett wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing how the final episode plays out.

...but didn't you write the book(s) it's based on?
:?
How do you not know what's going to happen?
:? :?
Post by SWM   » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:28 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

hvb wrote:Well, there is a difference between reading the last 30-odd pages of the Star Wars screenplay seeing the trench run on screen. :P

Also they have cut a number of toes and heels to get the story into a not very book-shaped slipper, so the interesting part is going to be if they can wrap up the strands they do have with a nice bow on it. ;)

(or if it's gonna track blood all over the floor :? )

Wow. Congratulations on the imagery. (Now how am I going to get the Cinderella-on-the-Tepes image out of my head?) :D
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Greentea   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Greentea
Commander

Got my copy. Things are indeed heating up towards the final battle with Sirius. It was also cool seeing Scotty serve as a balance to Harkness (ball and chain anyone). The art on the last page show Nimitz with fur is also improved, although he still looks way too pissed off and what happened to the cream component of his fur? Also, what are the whisker/sideburns projections from his head?

runsforcelery wrote:I just got my copies of Tales of Honor #4 yesterday. Things are heating up! I think Matt and Top Cow have done a really good job overall in building to this point, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the final episode plays out.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by yannosh   » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:46 am

yannosh
Commander

Got it, read it, am disappointed.
Pacing is still god-awful, art is looking plastic, and the recap took entirely too much space that could have been used to flesh things up a bit.
On the bright side, only one more issue before it's HotQ, so people from topcow might surprise us and see about finding some solutions for some of the issues we are complaining about.

For the furred Nimitz on the last page - congratulations, instead of abomination against art, sanity and good taste, Right now he is just dang ugly as sin. that is a definite step in the right direction.
=-.--.--.*.--.--.-=

Ceterum censeo Foedam solariam delendam esse.

Even the best in the world cannot measure up to a dozen highly motivated good-enoughs.
Post by Hutch   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:49 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

yannosh wrote:Got it, read it, am disappointed.
Pacing is still god-awful, art is looking plastic, and the recap took entirely too much space that could have been used to flesh things up a bit.

Concur, yannosh, the whole series I thought I was reading zombie comics, given all the emotion shown (the only real emotion expressed are on Honor's face while on the Tepes). Not really taken by the Horace Harkness re-tool, the "bullet-headed' head-shape of the head isn't my interpretation (the drawing evergreen has somewhere in this sub-forum is much closer to my expectations.

On the bright side, only one more issue before it's HotQ, so people from topcow might surprise us and see about finding some solutions for some of the issues we are complaining about.

We shall see. Less explanatory blocks and let the story do the talking.

For the furred Nimitz on the last page - congratulations, instead of abomination against art, sanity and good taste, Right now he is just dang ugly as sin. that is a definite step in the right direction.

I can live with that treecat interpretation, ears and tuffs and all (after all, he is an alien being and you do have to get that across to your audience in a visual media). Besides coloring, he needs to be about 45% smaller (to fit on Honor's shoulders) and no glowing eyes.

It'll be interesting to see if the last chapter culminates in the bang/boom/blood-n-guts battle scenes, and if they kill off one of the major characters from the comic as they did in the book.

I'll be buying it, anyway.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by John Prigent   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:11 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Mine arrived from Top Cow today. All the way to England, so quickly, and very well packed. And to top it all, no postage charge - I'd recommend buying direct to anyone else in the UK.

But I do have to echo the criticisms of poor Nimitz' image. He's far too big and not at all cuddly, even now that he's got fur at last.

Cheers

John
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:13 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

When it's finished, will we have a re-do with the artwork that had gathered the most praise/least brickbats?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Multimedia