Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Guardians of the Galaxy: Lessons Learned

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: Lessons Learned
Post by hvb   » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:55 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

This!

It is basically what RFC already wrote he had suggested with Evergreen, but the sail plane trophy segue is an inspired idea.

Have that last scene be Honor rushing past the damaged trophy to Nimitz's life-support cage, he looking out; or put his cage just under the trophy; for a triple clue in case the audience miss one or the other. 8-)

namelessfly wrote:[snip]

Open with Honor having a nightmare about the battle with Sirius in OBS. Have the final frames of this dream sequence focus on her sail plane trophy being melted by fire. She awakens to be comforted by cute, cuddly Nimitz with her half melted sail plane trophy visible above her bed so the audience understands that she is dreaming about a real event.

Then you can have Honor seek some relaxation by taking a shower.
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:05 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

namelessfly wrote:No one is as obsessed with shower scenes as I am, but even I would not favor opening with Honor having a nightmare about an attempted rape by Pavel Young whom thanks to prolong was hung like a hamster. This degrades her character.

Open with Honor having a nightmare about the battle with Sirius in OBS. Have the final frames of this dream sequence focus on her sail plane trophy being melted by fire. She awakens to be comforted by cute, cuddly Nimitz with her half melted sail plane trophy visible above her bed so the audience understands that she is dreaming about a real event.

Then you can have Honor seek some relaxation by taking a shower.

If they go the route you suggest, they'll need to be careful, as it's *very* similar to Ripley's dream/nightmare in Aliens, including having a cat around for comfort.

Minus the shower...
Post by SWM   » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:07 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:If they go the route you suggest, they'll need to be careful, as it's *very* similar to Ripley's dream/nightmare in Aliens, including having a cat around for comfort.

Minus the shower...

Oh, it's been used in lots of great movies. For the good reason that it works very well.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Duhjoker   » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Duhjoker
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I could be wrong but after skimming through OBS just now I remember the whole Pavel Young incident as being told through flashbacks anyway. Which leads to why she loathes him so much during his cowardly maneuvers at the battle of Hancock . If you start with THTQ your gonna have to add a too much backstory on top of what really needs to be told to make the story still worthwhile to fans and Newbs alike. You can't just squeeze a bunch of stuff into a story and expect it to be worth watching. When you could be better focused on other aspects of the story or series long characters. We want to hate Young for all that he's done not just one incident, that way we can cheer when he gets gunned down in FOD. Hell why not just wait til FOD or til his next book mention in TSVW where it starts to matter. Also he's not a long lasting character and is only briefly in the series so more attention could be paid to other main character backstory. Like Maybe some backstory on Nimitz himself or whatever. Any way just give him a brief mention in THTQ, a small flashback.

And come on guys a shower scene?? Really??? Can we stay focused on the story?
Post by KNick   » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:23 pm

KNick
Admiral

Duhjoker wrote:<<SNIP>>
And come on guys a shower scene?? Really??? Can we stay focused on the story?

sometimes, for nameless, that is the story.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by hvb   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Heck, it would work for those who recognize it as a Ripley-esk/whatnot ripoff/homage too.

Especially with that curveball at the end when the 'cat strokes her on the cheek and throws soothing ASL signs at her. :mrgreen:

SWM wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:If they go the route you suggest, they'll need to be careful, as it's *very* similar to Ripley's dream/nightmare in Aliens, including having a cat around for comfort.

Minus the shower...

Oh, it's been used in lots of great movies. For the good reason that it works very well.
Post by Duhjoker   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Duhjoker
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Again I say do it right or don't do it at all. Many have us have invested a lot of time and money into these books and we deserve to see it done right. Originality is the key to a good movie. If your gonna throw in every cliche from every space movie ever made then why make it. Of you want to chew bubblegum like the rest of the Hollywood BS, go ahead. But I like the originality of the series and would rather see it pure or not at all. Now the sail plane and trophy incident would make a good dream sequence per sé but it's told as a flashback in the books so it's still an FU to originality, the fans and the writer who wrote these stories to do it that way. And don't even bother with Mr. P.Y. till it makes sense to do so.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Duhjoker wrote:Again I say do it right or don't do it at all. Many have us have invested a lot of time and money into these books and we deserve to see it done right. Originality is the key to a good movie. If your gonna throw in every cliche from every space movie ever made then why make it. Of you want to chew bubblegum like the rest of the Hollywood BS, go ahead. But I like the originality of the series and would rather see it pure or not at all. Now the sail plane and trophy incident would make a good dream sequence per sé but it's told as a flashback in the books so it's still an FU to originality, the fans and the writer who wrote these stories to do it that way. And don't even bother with Mr. P.Y. till it makes sense to do so.

What you need to remember is that literature rarely, if ever, translates perfectly to film. Some narrative conventions work in literature but not onscreen, and vice-versa. The story is, by necessity, going to have changes made to it in order to present it on the big screen. If you go in to any film adaptation expecting a literal, word-for-word transcription of the book onto film, I have to inform you that you are going to be sorely disappointed. Changes are not, by default, bad.

Evergreen is working very, very hard, and closely with Mr. Weber himself, to ensure that the film stays faithful to the novels, but that does not mean in any way that everything will happen exactly the way it did in the book. Some characters will have to be cut; others will be consolidated; scenes will have to be reordered; some will be cut. This is unavoidable. An adaptation is just that; an adaptation.

If you cannot accept that changes will be made, do not see the film.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:00 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Duhjoker wrote:Again I say do it right or don't do it at all. Many have us have invested a lot of time and money into these books and we deserve to see it done right. Originality is the key to a good movie. If your gonna throw in every cliche from every space movie ever made then why make it. Of you want to chew bubblegum like the rest of the Hollywood BS, go ahead. But I like the originality of the series and would rather see it pure or not at all. Now the sail plane and trophy incident would make a good dream sequence per sé but it's told as a flashback in the books so it's still an FU to originality, the fans and the writer who wrote these stories to do it that way. And don't even bother with Mr. P.Y. till it makes sense to do so.

I suggest you watch this *very* recent interview with David Weber. He talks a bit about the film and Evergreen's ideas and changes.

http://youtu.be/jCueWzQCMHk

As for those who spend a lot on the books *deserving* to see it done right, that's a load of BS and you know it. You aren't entitled to anything just because you spent a couple hundred $$ on the books. I've bought the complete series three times now, and I sure as hell don't feel entitled to make a demand like that. As David says in the interview I linked (paraphrased), a book only needs to sell something like 20k copies to make the bestseller list - if every Honorverse fan bought five tickets to the movie, and *only* Honorverse fans, Evergreen would lose money.

There's more in the video. Just watch it, and if you still feel the same way after you do, then I guess you won't be seeing the movie.
Last edited by MaxxQ on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by pokermind   » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:23 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

The Movie Poster

The oddity of perception. How many of us who love series of books are disappointed with the movie, but who if they loved the movie and then decide to sample the books. If it comes from a comic book a visual medium that has trained our minds to a look it does better with the fans. While in a novel each fan creates his own mental image of each scene and characters the author describes that is almost guaranteed to not be the same as the movie maker. One problem with the Honorverse books is we do have images the drawings of equipment and cover art with a family feel.

I think evergreen is smart using the comic books and game to try to get us old time fans to warm to their view of the Honorverse, and even to listen to us on this forum. I for one wish them luck. I just hope they cute up Nimitz, look at the success of Rocket Raccoon cute, but hides his wild thing at times.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to Multimedia