Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Why are app permissions for ToH so broad?

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Why are app permissions for ToH so broad?
Post by sgtrock   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:54 pm

sgtrock
Midshipman

I was already to download the game for my Android phone but stopped when I saw this:

Device & app history
retrieve running apps

Photos/Media/Files
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
test access to protected storage

Camera/Microphone
take pictures and videos

Wi-Fi connection information
view Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information
read phone status and identity

Other
Google Play license check
full network access
view network connections
prevent device from sleeping

None of those permissions are necessary for in-app purchases because that's listed as a separate permission. Can someone from Evergreen please explain why a game is asking for pretty close to total access to my phone?

Thanks,

sgtrock
Re: Why are app permissions for ToH so broad?
Post by Prokonsul_Piotrus   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:46 am

Prokonsul_Piotrus
Midshipman

Would like to hear it as well.

Also, I'd love to hear what's the reason for the always online requirement. I understand it's needed for transactions, but most games work fine in offline mode. If want to buy something, I'll go online.
Post by Duhjoker   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:14 am

Duhjoker
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

This is a "live" game. Meaning it needs to be online in order to support such features as the new live event modes. There are also other things the game keeps up with using live accounting for instance for asset management. If you look at the version history for the game this is implied in version1.4 or the July patch. Another thing to take in hand is that the game itself has only been running since April 10th. So we are still pretty much beta testing the game while they are making improvements.

If you have a problem with the game there are two ways to go about letting Evergreen studios know. You have done the first part by mentioning it on their board, the other way is to contact them directly by starting your game and tapping the upper left hand tab and then tapping support. It may take a few days but they will get back to you. If you don't let them know there is a problem they won't know to fix it. I hope this helps.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Prokonsul_Piotrus wrote:Would like to hear it as well.

Also, I'd love to hear what's the reason for the always online requirement. I understand it's needed for transactions, but most games work fine in offline mode. If want to buy something, I'll go online.
Don't know about the permissions question, but the way they designed the game is that loot generation is done server side (I guess to make it harder to cheat and shortcut the time or $ decisions that are part of a free to play game)

So as designed if you could play offline you couldn't get any rewards from beating enemies because the game has to talk to their "loot server" to find out what you're getting. (Which is why if the internet connection flakes out you occasionally get no loot from a mission - the game never heard back from the "loot server")

I can't say whether that's a reasonable design decision, but that's why the game as designed doesn't have an offline mode.
Post by LordSunhawk   » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:21 am

LordSunhawk
Ensign

Also I think the camera permissions and such are related to the ability to share/record replays since I think that's all the same 'system' within the OS's. Could be wrong though.
Post by Evergreen Studios   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Evergreen Studios
Official Representative

Hi There - it's actually to do with the SDK we're using which basically has two settings, "everything" or "nothing"! It's mildly frustrating as a few people have brought this up, rest assured we're doing absolutely nothing to your phone outside of the scope of the game.
Post by bitslizer   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:59 pm

bitslizer
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

the only thing i saw that doesn't seem normal is the camera/microphone one.

modify storage can be necessary for the downloadable contents

everything else seem typical for games/app and can't seem to do any real harm

Return to Multimedia