Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Where are the level boosters and why take them away??

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Where are the level boosters and why take them away??
Post by Duhjoker   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Duhjoker
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

As some of you know I have been trying to male an accurate guide for TSF. I started thie due to the difficulty of the system 30 boss wernecke, a difficult boss to face even when your ship IS properly outfitted. I myself have only beaten him once but only with my third game because I got lucky enough to be able TO properly outfit my ship with armor and most importantly LEVEL BOOSTERS before the retool to make it more difficult. I support the difficulty enhancements except for the part where you took our ability away to buy LEVEL BOOSTER's. Now I'm stuck on two games!!! After the Nemea sector there are no outposts that I have found that supply you with LEVEL BOOSTERs. And out of the hundreds of random battles I have played since the retool I have only earned one level one LEVEL BOOSTER.

The above is very frustrating considering the fact that you get two more ships after Nemea and no way to level them up. Why is my major question. It makes no sense to give us all that fire power and defense if we can't even use it.

Please bring back some level boosters to the outposts.
Re: Where are the level boosters and why take them away??
Post by Duckk   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

The live event outposts might have level boosters.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by RandomGraysuit   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 pm

RandomGraysuit
Captain of the List

Duhjoker wrote:It makes no sense to give us all that fire power and defense if we can't even use it.

The game designers got a hard and fast lesson in player optimization and power creep. It's obvious this is their first chance for prime time in some cases, because they didn't expect players to be quite so... inventive.

If there is an advantage, there are people out there who will find it. With the power of crowdsourcing, some of them often find it more quickly than the game designers believed possible, let alone probable.

As it turns out, you don't need 'all that firepower and defense'. A well-optimized, well-played Light Cruiser can beat most of, if not the entire game. That includes the parts meant for a Heavy Cruiser.

A maxed-out Heavy Cruiser makes the entire game trivial. Not everybody was willing to do it, but some players spent the time to map out the most important very rare and legendary items to buy, and then spent the time grinding until they had everything required.

The solution the designers have chosen is to stop selling everything required to win the game in Outposts, start requiring players to grind a bit, and allow players to pick up *some* high-end items in limited-time events.

If you're getting tired of grinding, buying Prestige is always an option. If you're good enough at playing, you can slam through the entire game without anything above blue/rare level. Most people will need to try something in between.

Wait until the next live event, pick up the hard-mode items and you'll be well on your way towards endgame.
Post by Duhjoker   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Duhjoker

Oh I don't mind grinding at all, I have no problem with that ( I play several times a day ) and I sure don't want to blow through the game in a week. And I do like a challenge when I play anything I mean if a game is too easy it's not worth playing. But the ratios might be off. So far after Nemea ( being the only place to buy level boosters ) I've only earned one booster and it was a level one in the Breslau sector which requires at least a level 2 booster to even make a difference on the courageous. And yes I realize we don't need all that power, I've made it so far but it sure does make it difficult when the opponent can fire all fourteen of his tubes and you can only take out 3 per defense. I'm just sayin.
Post by crewdude48   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:01 am

crewdude48
Commodore

Duhjoker wrote:Oh I don't mind grinding at all, I have no problem with that ( I play several times a day ) and I sure don't want to blow through the game in a week. And I do like a challenge when I play anything I mean if a game is too easy it's not worth playing. But the ratios might be off. So far after Nemea ( being the only place to buy level boosters ) I've only earned one booster and it was a level one in the Breslau sector which requires at least a level 2 booster to even make a difference on the courageous. And yes I realize we don't need all that power, I've made it so far but it sure does make it difficult when the opponent can fire all fourteen of his tubes and you can only take out 3 per defense. I'm just sayin.

I agree. I mean, they don't have to let us buy the purple boosters, but would it kill them to sell the blues or even greens at one outpost in each level? This would make it a challenge, "do I use two greens and a cool down, or max my levels with three greens and no cool down." This would make a purple drop feel like a huge victory.

It is not an issue for me, cause I grabbed up 14 purples before they took them out of the outposts, and have been upgrading them to orange as they drop, but I could see where a new player would get fed up and walk away.
Post by Kheldan   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Kheldan
Ensign

I second that, they need to review Level Boosters availability and fast before all new players quit!

As of July 10th 2014, Level Booster I are ONLY available in first sector (Nemea) so if you forgot to buy like 15-20 you can't really do Breslau (3rd sector).

And if you are new to the game you will not know to buy them. I had to start the game over to get these Level Booster I.

So Level Booster I should be removed from first sector and added to second and 3rd sector at least.

Or better yet, Sector 1-2 with Level Booster I and Sector 3-4 with Level Booster II and Sector 5-6 with Level Booster III.

You only get the Level Booster III sold in the 5ft sector (make sure to buy like 15-20 of these!).

With dozens of hours and hundreds/thousands of fights I only got two Level Booster II and one Level Booster III, I barely could defeat Warnecke/Willis.

And thanks to the weird Pay 2 Play system, you can't buy them, I might have paid to buy them directly, not buy a box that might get something useful or not...
Post by Kheldan   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Kheldan
Ensign

For people that got to the end of the game BEFORE the July 10th 2014 patch, I posted the content of what is now available at the outposts, it is a BIG change. Most strategies / help that were posted are now obsolete.

http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6019

Basically, it is very important to buy about 20 Level Booster I from the first sector before leaving to Sector 2, and about 15-20 Level Booster III from Sector 5.

The Level Booster II are NOT available at any outposts.
Post by Duhjoker   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 pm

Duhjoker

Well the new weekly live event is here and not a single component you can buy from the outposts.
Post by DrMegaverse   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:05 am

DrMegaverse

Oddly enough I've been grinding for LB for about two weeks now. Saw 1 green in 13 days, then a blue and a purple on the last day. Could be pure RNG dumb luck I suppose, however I'm gonna hope Evergreen is adjusting drop rates.

Even with those I'm still having trouble with Warnecke. He seems fuc...well lets just say he seems to punch above his weight. Especially if you've read HAE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post by Duhjoker   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:59 am

Duhjoker

I got a response from ES today.

Thanks for your email and we're sorry for the delayed response. There should be some level boosters scattered through the outposts, but we've heard from you and several other players that there are currently none available on some of the early sectors. We'll get this fixed right away!

Best regards,
Tales of Honor Support Team

Return to Multimedia