Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

question re TSF

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
question re TSF
Post by crewdude48   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:39 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

I am wondering is somebody would help me out with this question.

I was just playing TSF, and I realized I had eight thousand plus of the anti laser missiles. Looking at the in combat missile silection screen, there is only room for four digits in the quantity area. Am I going to break my game if I don't start using them? I haven't bought any since the second sector, and really haven't used the much either.

I really hope I can sell them soon.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:I am wondering is somebody would help me out with this question.

I was just playing TSF, and I realized I had eight thousand plus of the anti laser missiles. Looking at the in combat missile silection screen, there is only room for four digits in the quantity area. Am I going to break my game if I don't start using them? I haven't bought any since the second sector, and really haven't used the much either.

I really hope I can sell them soon.
Interesting thought. I just checked and I've managed to accumulate 10476 Laser Disruptor missiles. So looks like we're fine having more than 9999.

But that doesn't mean there might not be actual problematic numbers out there. 32768 or 65536; for example (if they're tracked using a 16 bit signed or unsigned integer).

Integer rollover can do potentially bad things. Well signed integer rollover isn't usually bad except that this game can't normally have negative numbers of missiles; so it might break the game logic. But unsigned integer overflow can actually flip bits of whatever is stored next to that integer; which can have unpredictable effect.

Hopefully though the game has properly coded range limits and will just stop increasing the number of missiles once they're hit.

Return to Multimedia