Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

THF Difficulty and lack of support

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Post by DrMegaverse   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:14 pm

DrMegaverse
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I'm no slouch at games and I find THF to be frustratingly hard. My biggest issue is the cost of missiles. Even a single flee ends up being so resource intensive that you're down to firing just hull penetrators for your next fight. Ends up being a nasty cycle where you don't have enough resources to win so you flee or fail, and you don't have enough resources, so you flee or fail....you get the picture. Look I'm seeing all these posts of people who finished it and found it too easy, and I'm glad for them, really, however I'm experiencing frustrating difficulty by the third set of systems. Perhaps some game balance, either resource cost/reward, or difficultly settings may be in order.

My second pet peeve is lack of support for previous iOS versions. My iPad is running iOS 6 and I'm constantly having to quit the app, shut off wifi, start the app, quit the app, restart wifi, open App Store, jump back to the game, rinse and repeat. The game WILL run on iOS 6, I've managed to play up to the third system with it, how about removing the "You have to play the most current version OR ELSE!" stuff and allowing folks who want to play on previous version the ability to play minus the rigamarole. It's not like the IAP mechanism isn't working.

Anyways, interesting idea, if a tad watered down, I'd like to see some changes made so it's enjoyable and not just a trip down frustration lane.
Re: THF Difficulty and lack of support
Post by jeffrobins   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:46 am

jeffrobins
Midshipman

My suggestion is to play the easier side missions (grey/white color names) to gather resources and then upgrade your ship. This will also get you some upgradable components. When you can beat those using only the hull penetrators, then move on to the next color (green) and repeat. Eventually you will get to Blue, where you should be okay.

The orange ones are harder, so you may not be able to beat them using only the hull penetrators until your ship is greatly upgraded.

This is how I managed to make the game playable and longer lasting. Otherwise it is extremely frustrating, especially Warnecke, and short.
Post by RandomGraysuit   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:38 am

RandomGraysuit
Captain of the List

DrMegaverse wrote:I'm no slouch at games and I find THF to be frustratingly hard. My biggest issue is the cost of missiles. Even a single flee ends up being so resource intensive that you're down to firing just hull penetrators for your next fight. Ends up being a nasty cycle where you don't have enough resources to win so you flee or fail, and you don't have enough resources, so you flee or fail....you get the picture. Look I'm seeing all these posts of people who finished it and found it too easy, and I'm glad for them, really, however I'm experiencing frustrating difficulty by the third set of systems. Perhaps some game balance, either resource cost/reward, or difficultly settings may be in order.

Go get some resource generators. Third set of system is Breslau, right? You can get blue and green level resource generators, if I recall correctly.

Now work towards a pair of orange-level CM cooldown items, and start putting one each of the anti-system items into your light cruiser. Make sure you're maxed on system level.

Once you do that, you'll clean house. If you STILL can't put the Breslau boss on farm mode, post a replay here and ask for help.
Post by Duckk   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:59 am

Duckk
Site Admin

The critical trick about about free to play games is that you cannot progress as fast as you want to go. F2P games are all about gating content behind a time investment, which can only be short circuited by a money investment. Most of us say this game is easy because we've sunk a lot of time just grinding away at getting higher tiers of gear while waiting for new content. If you find yourself on a difficult mission, just spend a day or 2 grinding the side missions for better gear, visiting all the outposts buying any and all upgrades, and spend the time to level up to the limit.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Yow   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:58 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

(bless all y'all's lil' hearts) Norm.bone did a breakdown on component usage and effects. Might help some of you get a leg up :|
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5828&p=147367#p147367

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Yow   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:24 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'm an asshole. I won't deny that. I've even tried to own it once but some other asshole beat me to it. But what I am not is someone who won't help out when there's a need to.
DrMegaverse wrote:I'm no slouch at games and I find THF to be frustratingly hard. My biggest issue is the cost of missiles. Even a single flee ends up being so resource intensive that you're down to firing just hull penetrators for your next fight. Ends up being a nasty cycle where you don't have enough resources to win so you flee or fail, and you don't have enough resources, so you flee or fail....you get the picture. Look I'm seeing all these posts of people who finished it and found it too easy, and I'm glad for them, really, however I'm experiencing frustrating difficulty by the third set of systems. Perhaps some game balance, either resource cost/reward, or difficultly settings may be in order.

My second pet peeve is lack of support for previous iOS versions. My iPad is running iOS 6 and I'm constantly having to quit the app, shut off wifi, start the app, quit the app, restart wifi, open App Store, jump back to the game, rinse and repeat. The game WILL run on iOS 6, I've managed to play up to the third system with it, how about removing the "You have to play the most current version OR ELSE!" stuff and allowing folks who want to play on previous version the ability to play minus the rigamarole. It's not like the IAP mechanism isn't working.

Anyways, interesting idea, if a tad watered down, I'd like to see some changes made so it's enjoyable and not just a trip down frustration lane.

I have two games going one on iPad and one on iPhone. I've been playing from the beginning of the beginning of TOH:TSF. I'll share what ever I can to help.
I can't help you with iOS issues other than to say make sure you clear you cache by double tapping home button and swiping up on any app listed besides the game. Second if it really is giving you trouble in memory also try it without sound effects and video playback turned off.
(can anyone with Android chime in on similar memory & multi app issues here?

Missiles. I primarily use Hull Penetrators and use the others for the boss levels only. It forces me to get good at defense. How is that possible? It is done by my layout which was scientifically edified by Norm.bone. Example: weapons layout used to be a missile loader and two missile accelerators. Now I use two to three loaders and a payload or two. I am still in Breslau sector trolling big bosses with HMS Courageous. Money and Legendary. I use my warp component and sweep one planet system at a time. This includes the systems with ( ! ). Some days I get nothing others I am raking'em in. This is how I build up my money to buy. I do not move on until then. Then I make sure to also cycle through the outposts to insure I've saved my changes. ( Can't wait till they add the save and end game button :roll: )

This is also a good idea.
jeffrobins wrote:My suggestion is to play the easier side missions (grey/white color names) to gather resources and then upgrade your ship. This will also get you some upgradable components. When you can beat those using only the hull penetrators, then move on to the next color (green) and repeat. Eventually you will get to Blue, where you should be okay.
The orange ones are harder, so you may not be able to beat them using only the hull penetrators until your ship is greatly upgraded.
This is how I managed to make the game playable and longer lasting. Otherwise it is extremely frustrating, especially Warnecke, and short.

I am posting this again because it is probably the best explanation I've seen so far of how these components can help. Link and scroll down.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5828&p=147367#p147367
At first, I thought this thread was kinda silly. Now it makes sense (sorta) because you can look ahead and plan your purchases. Granted with updates to the OSs it'll change but it should be good for a bit.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5765
Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the forum for the game it's for the players and developers to talk.
http://forums.tales-of-honor.com

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yow wrote:Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the forum for the game it's for the players and developers to talk.
http://forums.tales-of-honor.com

Seconded
Post by DrMegaverse   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:26 pm

DrMegaverse

Officers upgraded as high as is possible for the ship. Components installed are all upgraded to maximum. Components tend towards defense (increased reload of CMs and PDL) and increasing system power.

Enigma system, 4th encounter. Guy destroys me on a regular basis. Grinding side missions for components to sell and basic earning of metal/plasma to rearm. Seems to be leading nowhere. Also can't seem to be able to complete blue side missions at all, and no green missions without a high degree of missile attrition.

Start off with hull pens to burn through their counter measures. Focus on stripping defenses then their attack systems. All ends up the same, defeat/flee.

Getting kinda ridiculous.
Post by Yow   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

DrMegaverse wrote:Officers upgraded as high as is possible for the ship. Components installed are all upgraded to maximum. Components tend towards defense (increased reload of CMs and PDL) and increasing system power.

Enigma system, 4th encounter. Guy destroys me on a regular basis. Grinding side missions for components to sell and basic earning of metal/plasma to rearm. Seems to be leading nowhere. Also can't seem to be able to complete blue side missions at all, and no green missions without a high degree of missile attrition.

Start off with hull pens to burn through their counter measures. Focus on stripping defenses then their attack systems. All ends up the same, defeat/flee.

Getting kinda ridiculous.

Do you post to Everyplay? If so what is your handle if different than DrMegaverse?
Last edited by Yow on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by DrMegaverse   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:36 pm

DrMegaverse

Well just finished enemy 4. Right as the game demanded I upgrade which made my victory stuck on the fight sequence with the other ship slowing spread in debris. Also robbed me of the salvage.

Pass a section I was stuck at, become screwed due to no iOS 6 support.

*sigh*. Ridiculous level exceeding maximum capacity :-/
Last edited by DrMegaverse on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Multimedia