Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Soundtrack

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: Soundtrack
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:48 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Whatever it is, it has to be original orchestral work. But, I've always thought that for the movie, you write one piece with two distinct sections, or two pieces in the same style - one for the in-character run-up to the final charge (the soaring "Salute to Spring" that Honor asked for - and then another piece for the actual charge through enemy fire.

Salute to Spring ended before Fearless came under fire, of course. But in the movie itself, that entire death ride part of the engagement, with Fearless charging forward as Saladin unloads its magazines into her, needs its own orchestral... oomph.

I dunno, maybe Hammerwall's 7th was followed by Hammerwall's 8th, "Summer Wildfire."
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

Crown Loyalist wrote:Whatever it is, it has to be original orchestral work.

Of course, but it's nice to imagine what it would be, like our casting of the characters.
Crown Loyalist wrote:I dunno, maybe Hammerwall's 7th was followed by Hammerwall's 8th, "Summer Wildfire."

Or maybe "Summer Thunder" to represent the thundering broadsides, which will be silent in space, but whatever... :lol:
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:50 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

No electropop or similar!

Seriously. Attempting to do a "cool and hip" modern soundtrack ages the film like you wouldn't believe.

Check out Buck Rogers. Although most of the special effects still hold up, the electro soundtrack makes the whole thing incredibly cheesy.

Basically, if it isn't at least semi-classical (think Babylon 5), then it'll undermine the whole film.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:29 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:No electropop or similar!

Seriously. Attempting to do a "cool and hip" modern soundtrack ages the film like you wouldn't believe.

Check out Buck Rogers. Although most of the special effects still hold up, the electro soundtrack makes the whole thing incredibly cheesy.

Basically, if it isn't at least semi-classical (think Babylon 5), then it'll undermine the whole film.

Bear McCreary heard there was an opening for a job?

Seriously, his score for BSG was sick. In the most complimentary possible way. I don't know if he's ever done film before, but goddammit, if they don't at least consider him someone at Evergreen is falling asleep at the wheel. "Diaspora Oratorio", "Passacaglia", "Roslin and Adama"...

(...I love you, Evergreen! Please consider Bear McCreary!)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by hvb   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:02 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Or better yet, just have the playlist advance to "Hammerwell's 8th: Fire Season", visible as an easter egg on the communications display. :geek:

... or if you need to be blatant about it have Honor, or someone in the background request it, e.g. the duty quatermaster. (yah! A speaking part :P )

... if cast as a cameo of Jane Lindskold it would make a double easter egg. 8-)

Commodore Oakius wrote:
Crown Loyalist wrote:Whatever it is, it has to be original orchestral work.

Of course, but it's nice to imagine what it would be, like our casting of the characters.
Crown Loyalist wrote:I dunno, maybe Hammerwall's 7th was followed by Hammerwall's 8th, "Summer Wildfire."

Or maybe "Summer Thunder" to represent the thundering broadsides, which will be silent in space, but whatever... :lol:

Return to Multimedia