Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Tales of Honor #3 Comments

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: Tales of Honor #3 Comments
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:08 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

Since we know they are limiting themselves to a 5 issue arc I think they are nailing down all the particulers.
Lets look at this and say, "Hopefully they will read it and enjoy it. Hopefully that enjoyment will prompt them to read the actually book."
Let's think of the comic as you telling a friend about the book but more details and a few visual to assist.
I still want to rant about the whole way its done, but I was brought back to the idea that comic is an introduction to the Honorverse, cannon, sure, but its to whet the appitie of the reader. It's like that first bie of a meal thats still to hot to properly enjoy, its great, but so much better once you can have it without burning your tounge. To make this comic completley accurate it would need to be close to 40-50 issues, I'd guess. This comic is that first bite, not too much with long drawn out pauses for year at a time to get the full story, but a 6 month, or so, jaunt to entice the bigger and more wholesome bite of the books.
Re: Tales of Honor #3 Comments
Post by yannosh   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:40 am

yannosh
Commander

Commodore Oakius wrote:Since we know they are limiting themselves to a 5 issue arc I think they are nailing down all the particulers.
Lets look at this and say, "Hopefully they will read it and enjoy it. Hopefully that enjoyment will prompt them to read the actually book."
Let's think of the comic as you telling a friend about the book but more details and a few visual to assist.
I still want to rant about the whole way its done, but I was brought back to the idea that comic is an introduction to the Honorverse, cannon, sure, but its to whet the appitie of the reader. It's like that first bie of a meal thats still to hot to properly enjoy, its great, but so much better once you can have it without burning your tounge. To make this comic completley accurate it would need to be close to 40-50 issues, I'd guess. This comic is that first bite, not too much with long drawn out pauses for year at a time to get the full story, but a 6 month, or so, jaunt to entice the bigger and more wholesome bite of the books.

The problem with that technique is that it is essentially trying to whet ones apetite for Chicken Paillards with Pancetta and Sage with a cold chicken sandwich with a bit of sage seasoning.

Sandwitch is good and all, a decent meal - but it is dry and not all that engaging; it needs a bit more seasoning to make you salivate at the thought of Chicken Paillards with Pancetta and Sage.

I'm not saying the comics are bad. They are not, I'm just pointing out that they are a test bed, and that we would be doing the makers a disservice if we did not offer them our sincere opinions.
And, as I mentioned on my review of issue #2, I share my ToH with my comic loving cousin. So far he barely even wants to read the comics, much less even consider reading the book. So, yeah, some quality improvement is necessary.
=-.--.--.*.--.--.-=

Ceterum censeo Foedam solariam delendam esse.

Even the best in the world cannot measure up to a dozen highly motivated good-enoughs.

Return to Multimedia