Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

New changes to the iOS game mechanics

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
New changes to the iOS game mechanics
Post by Thumper   » Thu May 29, 2014 10:24 am

Thumper
Midshipman

Could some of the devs give us a little info on the recent changes made to the iOS game.
Re: New changes to the iOS game mechanics
Post by Idol Dev   » Fri May 30, 2014 3:13 pm

Idol Dev
Official Representative

Thumper wrote:Could some of the devs give us a little info on the recent changes made to the iOS game.

Hi Thumper,
Sure, I'd be happy to share.

The most visible change is that we increased the price of missiles across the board. The feedback that we're getting is that maybe we increased it a bit too much. It's a constant give and take, so we are adjusting the balancing values all the time.

We also slowed down the speed and refresh rate on the hull penetrator missiles and we sped up the refresh rate on the Mk13 BPLs.

What do you find is the most challenging part of the game?

Jeff
Post by Duckk   » Fri May 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

We also slowed down the speed and refresh rate on the hull penetrator missiles and we sped up the refresh rate on the Mk13 BPLs.

Ooooooooooh. I usually fire HPs in a staggered sequence, and noticed there was a weird gap in my rotation some days ago. Was wondering about that. :lol:
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Thumper   » Fri May 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Thumper
Midshipman

Idol Dev wrote:
Thumper wrote:Could some of the devs give us a little info on the recent changes made to the iOS game.

Jeff

Well I've found that some of the enemy ships are now a bit harder to defeat at times. Seems like some have a very fast roll refresh rate. I've even notice a few times that enemy fired missiles will speed up as they enter my defensive zones. Also some enemy ships able to fire missiles and defenses when indicators show they are solid red. Which these things are random so they could be from component installs and or upgrades to enemy ships.

As for my ship some components don't seen to work maybe the effects are just slight and just go unnoticed. My counter missiles rarely work (meaning that as a missile enters the counter zone I hit to shoot and enemy missile is out of zone before counters fire.

Will there be or could there be a type of guide for components to describe just what they do and if component stats stack when more than one is equipped.

All n all I really like the game and with those new tweaks makes it more interesting and challenging. I look forward to the live events and the progression of the games future.

Thanks,
Thumper
Post by Yow   » Fri May 30, 2014 6:32 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

Idol Dev wrote:

Hi Thumper,

The most visible change is that we increased the price of missiles across the board. The feedback that we're getting is that maybe we increased it a bit too much. It's a constant give and take, so we are adjusting the balancing values all the time.

Jeff

:evil: Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

My poor Hull Penatrators :cry:

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Yow   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:20 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

Idol Dev wrote:What do you find is the most challenging part of the game?
Jeff

The enemies rapid roll refresh rate and the noticeable reduction in missile refresh rate even when I stack my loaders and missile speed components for Hull Penetrators. I've been trying to get the garden variety achievement for a while now. I haven't used anything but Hull Penetrators almost all month now. I have at least one level ten component in all of my sections with the rest being level eight except weapons. Weapons, minus the level eight missile speed component, are all level ten. I may be no where near 1,000 but I have got to be close to getting that legendary ECM Cool-down component or the bridge legendary Upgrade Speed component :D

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Sharidann   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:50 am

Sharidann
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

At the Moment the faster refresh on rolling is a bit annoying, as roughly every second volley can be blocked.
Was quite slower before, I think, about one volley every third.

I am "farming" the Fomori sector and switched from hitting the last Mission to hitting the Pirate base, which can't roll... That way, I can complete about 12-13 warps before running out of charges and calling it a day.

Just costs Ages to get my officers to Level 18.
Quite additive game, waiting on new sectors.
Idol Dev wrote:

Hi Thumper,

Jeff
Post by Dca   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

What makes the game hard?

I played the ios version on my ipad, taking defense while my son took offense. That was awesome, till I maxed out the heavy cruiser, and then there's nothing much that can stand up to those fat broadsides and thick defenses. Quick roll was about as good as it got, but not for long.

Then I restarted with my android phone, and it was a totally different experience. I needed glasses! The cognitive overload of running offense + defense started kicking in, and the lack of money or upgrades was a real limiter. I think I'm turning the corner now with HMS Galahad (destroyer) nearing the end of the Enigma sector. Still can't afford BPLs and NX2 nukes are on tight ration, but careful missile type selection makes it work most times.

Please make the enemy ship types correspond to their capabilities more closely.

If you want to make your game AI seriously tough, build a reinforcement learning engine and train it against your best. Then split it and train against itself. I am confident you will need to depower its ship so us humans can beat it. See TD-gammon for an illustration.

Return to Multimedia