Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

An Actress to play Honor Harrington

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: An Actress to play Honor Harrington
Post by wrlee1966   » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:07 am

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

crewdude48 wrote:
wrlee1966 wrote:you are all forgetting prolong. She maybe in her 40's at time in the story line. Depending o where the begin the movie but she still looks every young. Like 18 or so. And so it makes since for them to pick a very young looking actress or a young actress.

I think it would be difficult to
A) find an 18 year old actress who can play the gravitas necessary and
B) explain to the audience (in a two hour movie) why the ship is crewed with children.

If they are going to employ prolong in the movie, they should probably tweek it from how RFC designed it. If prolong stopped ageing at 30 to 35 instead of 18 to 20, you could hire actors who are in their mid to late 20s, and use make-up to age them to 30, and as they get older, make-up can easily make them look 30 until after they are in their 40s.

Now, in a miniseries, there is enough time to explain prolong, but I still think that finding enough good young actors will be tough.

Yes but they are starting with the Honor of the Queen from my understanding. And as you remember in the book with the High Admiral first came aboard Fearless he was shocked to see children then had to remind himself they were prolong. There is no reason why they can not do that in the movie where we either hear his thought or he some how verbalizes it when he shacks hands.
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:54 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

How about Toni Trucks (the girl from Star Runners) to play Helen Zilwicki
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Festival   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

wrlee1966 wrote:you are all forgetting prolong. She maybe in her 40's at time in the story line. Depending o where the begin the movie but she still looks every young. Like 18 or so. And so it makes since for them to pick a very young looking actress or a young actress.

Actually, prolong has been discussed at considerable length, but that's pretty far upthread...and it's a huge thread. =P

In any case, I'll do a short version of my original thoughts on prolong in the film. Basically, I don't see it as being included in canonical form. At most, we might see something like first gen prolong...but definitely not 3rd gen. It's just not the kind of thing that works well in a visual, scene-oriented medium. People who appear to be in their teens (young teens, even, when we're talking junior officers) in positions of command is a huge ask in terms of suspension of disbelief for a movie or TV audience. Absent the ability to set that scene with lots of expository text and general world-building, "baby" officers is immersion-breaking. Badly immersion-breaking.

Honorverse junkies like we forum-dwellers have the background, the context. Prolong recipient characters would be perfectly believable and normal to us. To the larger audience that everyone wants to be attracted to this project, it's a problem. A suspension-of-disbelief problem, which is a Very Big Deal to filmmakers.

Fortunately, it's not really critical to the stories. It's a great plot device, and it's very important indeed to the greater world-building project of the Honorverse (the effect on system economies alone would be enormous)...but the stories don't depend on it.
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:46 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I know she's all wrong physically - not to mention a decade or two too old, at least - but dear God, just imagine what Mary McDonnell could do with Eloise Pritchart.

Why no, I don't have an undying crush on Mary or her flawless acting or her perfect face, why do you ask?
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Phalanx   » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:50 am

Phalanx
Commander

roseandheather wrote:I know she's all wrong physically - not to mention a decade or two too old, at least - but dear God, just imagine what Mary McDonnell could do with Eloise Pritchart.

Why no, I don't have an undying crush on Mary or her flawless acting or her perfect face, why do you ask?

Only one problem.

Pritchart is black.
_

Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:51 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Phalanx wrote:
roseandheather wrote:I know she's all wrong physically - not to mention a decade or two too old, at least - but dear God, just imagine what Mary McDonnell could do with Eloise Pritchart.

Only one problem.

Pritchart is black.

What? I thought that it said somewhere that she and Queen Elizabeth could almost have been physical opposites and that Pritchart is pale-skinned and platinum blond.
Did I mis-remember?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:20 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
What? I thought that it said somewhere that she and Queen Elizabeth could almost have been physical opposites and that Pritchart is pale-skinned and platinum blond.
Did I mis-remember?

Yes and no. Eloise Pritchart is indeed a platinum blonde with topaz eyes, but her skin is cited as "dark" in-text. However, there's never any hint that she shares the same African ancestry as the Wintons, and you'd think if she did Weber would have mentioned it somewhere. "Dark" can mean anything from Mediterranean olive skin/Latina-esque (a la Penelope Cruz or Salma Hayek) to South Asian (think Aishwarya Rai or Lea Salonga) to African-descended black (a la Lupita Nyong'o or Angela Bassett).

Either way, Mary McDonnell is bona fide red-haired Irish, so she wouldn't fit in any case. But good God, what she could do with the role...
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:Did I mis-remember?

roseandheather wrote:Yes and no.

Nice to know that my memory hasn't completely abandoned me.
Ummmm, what was the conversation about again?
:lol:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:02 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:Did I mis-remember?

roseandheather wrote:Yes and no.

Nice to know that my memory hasn't completely abandoned me.
Ummmm, what was the conversation about again?
:lol:

Whether or not Mary McDonnell, age and any and all physical characteristics notwithstanding, would make grown men (and me) weep in the role of Eloise Pritchart. :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by dscott8   » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:54 pm

dscott8
Commodore

I've been away for a while for family reasons, and came back to this a bit late, but may I suggest Bahamian actress Jeanene Fox -- all six feet of her?

Return to Multimedia