Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

An Actress to play Honor Harrington

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: An Actress to play Honor Harrington
Post by vince7649   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:21 pm

vince7649
Midshipman

Elizabeth Debicki She is 6"3 has some action film experience and is a trained dancer. Hey it worked for Patrick Swayze why not this young lady.

She is 25 about the right age she has to look youthfull enough, because of prolong. She is blond but that can be fixed.

link to Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Debicki
Post by memorychaser   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:48 am

memorychaser
Midshipman

vince7649 wrote:Elizabeth Debicki She is 6"3 has some action film experience and is a trained dancer. Hey it worked for Patrick Swayze why not this young lady.

She is 25 about the right age she has to look youthfull enough, because of prolong. She is blond but that can be fixed.

link to Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Debicki

Aside from her being too thin, too blonde and too blue-eyed, with absolutely no hint of what rfc calls "sharply-carved beauty", but a very conventionally pretty face? Now, I could see her as, oh, Alice Truman, maybe...
Post by Rod   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Rod
Lieutenant Commander

I always thought that Tracy Spiridakos from Revolution would make a good Honor Harrington
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:58 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Phalanx wrote: Weber himself has said appearance is secondary in casting honor and that the personality and leadership style is important.

The Mad Wizard has stated that Delenn from Babylon 5 is the best model for what Honor should be onscreen, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYloWBP79ro

<snip>

Yup that is very Honor! Pulling off the character traits, attitude and authority is much, much more important than physical appearance.

Any recent news about progress with the film?
Post by hbenthow   » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:25 pm

hbenthow
Midshipman

What about Antje Traue? She reminds me a lot of Honor Harrington as portrayed in the original cover painting for "On Basilisk Station" for some reason (something about her facial expressions, I think), and she proved in "Man of Steel" that she is great at playing characters with a commanding presence (her performance was one of the very few things about that movie that I didn't find bland, and she managed to make an impression with only a few minutes of screentime).

Post by wrlee1966   » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:18 am

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

you are all forgetting prolong. She maybe in her 40's at time in the story line. Depending o where the begin the movie but she still looks every young. Like 18 or so. And so it makes since for them to pick a very young looking actress or a young actress.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:04 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

[quote="hbenthow"]What about Antje Traue? She reminds me a lot of Honor Harrington as portrayed in the original cover painting for "On Basilisk Station" for some reason (something about her facial expressions, I think), and she proved in "Man of Steel" that she is great at playing characters with a commanding presence (her performance was one of the very few things about that movie that I didn't find bland, and she managed to make an impression with only a few minutes of screentime).

snip

She looks arrogant enough to be Cordelia Ransom.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by crewdude48   » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:20 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

wrlee1966 wrote:you are all forgetting prolong. She maybe in her 40's at time in the story line. Depending o where the begin the movie but she still looks every young. Like 18 or so. And so it makes since for them to pick a very young looking actress or a young actress.

I think it would be difficult to
A) find an 18 year old actress who can play the gravitas necessary and
B) explain to the audience (in a two hour movie) why the ship is crewed with children.

If they are going to employ prolong in the movie, they should probably tweek it from how RFC designed it. If prolong stopped ageing at 30 to 35 instead of 18 to 20, you could hire actors who are in their mid to late 20s, and use make-up to age them to 30, and as they get older, make-up can easily make them look 30 until after they are in their 40s.

Now, in a miniseries, there is enough time to explain prolong, but I still think that finding enough good young actors will be tough.
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:48 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:
wrlee1966 wrote:you are all forgetting prolong. She maybe in her 40's at time in the story line. Depending o where the begin the movie but she still looks every young. Like 18 or so. And so it makes since for them to pick a very young looking actress or a young actress.

B) explain to the audience (in a two hour movie) why the ship is crewed with children.

If they are going to employ prolong in the movie, they should probably tweek it from how RFC designed it. If prolong stopped ageing at 30 to 35 instead of 18 to 20, you could hire actors who are in their mid to late 20s, and use make-up to age them to 30, and as they get older, make-up can easily make them look 30 until after they are in their 40s.

Now, in a miniseries, there is enough time to explain prolong, but I still think that finding enough good young actors will be tough.

David dropped at Manticon that Evergreen is now pretty focused on a TV limited series rather than a movie for HotQ, because it was proving impossible to create a <= 120 min screenplay that covered the story adequately. Think ~= one season of GoT.

dreamrider
Post by hvb   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:21 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yup, 2nd & 3rd generation prolong is going to be marched in chains to the nearest airlock under heavy guard. ;)

1st generation prolong is likely to only be retained in the form of adding 20-40 years to the apparent chronological age of the actors, or maybe 30-50%, or something along those lines.

This retains the "prolong is changing society" aspect of the plot-hooks, & for later stories the "only in the richer societies/upper crust of less rich ones" aspects, without having to sweat the otherwise massive actor age versus portrait age discrepancies.

crewdude48 wrote:

Return to Multimedia