Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

An Actress to play Honor Harrington

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: An Actress to play Honor Harrington
Post by dreamrider   » Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

hvb wrote:I agree with your other comment about needing an actress tall enough to make Nimitz shoulder-riding her seem realistic. If need be scale Nimitz back by those extra 15% or more.

Evergreen and David have said pretty frankly that Nimitz will be doing very little if any shoulder riding, for the same dramatic & psycho-visual reasons that are behind the increase in size.

They need to sell Nimitz to the unfamiliar mass audience as a real sentient dramatis personae, indeed as the 2nd most important character, from the word go - not a pet, not a CIG doll, not cute, and absolutely not a somewhat less silly Jar Jar Binks. They do not think that they can do this in visual, without the benefit of reader involvement in text exposition, any more easily than non-Sphinxians would initially believe that the t'cats were more than exotic pets, if Nimitiz is generally riding around on Honor shoulder like a stole.

That's why he has been up-sized a bit, and that's why he will be portrayed less in constant physical contact with Honor than long-time readers might expect.

dreamrider
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri May 30, 2014 11:51 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

If Nimitz is going to interact with cast, crew and props etc, you may wish to check out the film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". The toon characters in there interact quite a bit with the real items, knocking stuff over, picking things up... the handcuffs and handsaw scene in particular is a true masterpiece of getting the interactions just right.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:58 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I don't know if any of you have seen the film Belle, but you want your Queen Elizabeth?

Gugu Mbatha-Raw. I tell you, she will set the screen on fire.

Also, Scott Bakula is now and forever my Allen Higgins. (I don't know why it took so long for me to figure this out.) Weathered face, kind eyes, smile that transforms him from reasonably good-looking to gorgeous... oh, yeah. There's my Allen, all right.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:29 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

rnh,

wouldn't you rather have Scott Bakula as Adm Mathews. You'd see a lot more of him, sooner.

Better yet. He'd make a wonderful Courvoisier.

dreamrider
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:53 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:rnh,

wouldn't you rather have Scott Bakula as Adm Mathews. You'd see a lot more of him, sooner.

Better yet. He'd make a wonderful Courvoisier.

dreamrider

I am a goddamn moron, and Ciaran Hinds is Allen Higgins. I don't know why it took me so long to clue in to this.

Bakula would make an amazing Matthews. (Not Courvosier, though. Because of plot reasons. Yes, that reason.) I freakin' love Scott Bakula. He would make the best Matthews.

And Elizabeth Mitchell would make the best Sonja Hemphill. Dear God would she ever.

Now I just need me a Mercedes Brigham...
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:21 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

If Shatner were a few years younger he could be Courvoisier.
As it is, I think he should be Clinkscales
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:23 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Bakula would make an amazing Matthews. (Not Courvosier, though. Because of plot reasons. Yes, that reason.) I freakin' love Scott Bakula. He would make the best Matthews.

Oh, what's a little early death between friends. Alex Guiness died in IV, and he still appeared (albeit briefly) in V & IV.

rnh,
Did you know that Scott Bakula has a new small screen gig? He is the lead in the NCIS: New Orleans that is premiering soon.

dreamrider
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:29 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:If Shatner were a few years younger he could be Courvoisier.

Oh God, never!
Much as I admire the past work of Mr Shatner (and I saw all of TOS in broadcast), he is an actor whose style is best suited to over-the-top characters. Not in-control, aging fonts of wisdom like Howard.

If Bill Shatner played Howard Clinkscales, there would be visible toothmarks in all the furniture, walls, and shrubbery of the Protector's Palace & Harrington Steading.

dreamrider
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:19 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

dreamrider wrote:
Commodore Oakius wrote:If Shatner were a few years younger he could be Courvoisier.

Oh God, never!
Much as I admire the past work of Mr Shatner (and I saw all of TOS in broadcast), he is an actor whose style is best suited to over-the-top characters. Not in-control, aging fonts of wisdom like Howard.

If Bill Shatner played Howard Clinkscales, there would be visible toothmarks in all the furniture, walls, and shrubbery of the Protector's Palace & Harrington Steading.

dreamrider

Clause Houteman then?
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:49 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:
dreamrider wrote:Oh God, never!

dreamrider

Clause Houteman then?

OK, that one I will buy into!

dreamrider

Return to Multimedia