Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

An Actress to play Honor Harrington

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: An Actress to play Honor Harrington
Post by RHWoodman   » Wed May 21, 2014 5:41 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

Subo wrote:I like Stana Katic for the role. Yes, a little vertically challenged (5'9") and yes not eurasian, but has the slavic almond eyes and projects the dignity and inner presence that an actress portraying Honor has to have.

Welcome to the forums Subo! I hope you enjoy your tour of duty here. :)
Post by roseandheather   » Wed May 21, 2014 8:57 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Emilia Clarke for basically anyone. Ever. Because Khaleesi. (Come to think of it, she'd make an extraordinary Eloise...)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by dreamrider   » Tue May 27, 2014 11:25 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Moon Bloodgood is too old. She will be 40 by the time the movie starts shooting.

...And despite my complete acceptance of the concept that the acting and presence of the ultimately chosen actress are more important than pure considerations of height, note that size IS a component of visual presence and feeling of dominance. In addition, the chosen actress must 'look' right in a great number of scenes with the most critical visual character in the script, Nimitz. Nimitz won't be riding Honor's shoulder much (for dramatic reasons that have been discussed extensively elsewhere by Evergreen and RFC), but he is still a bigish critter, and one that will occasionally be in Honor's arms or on the back of her chair, etc. In fact, as Evergreen is conceptualizing him, he may be ~15% bigger than the book description.

All of the above leads me to the conclusion that it would just look wrong if you tried to fill in that frame from the OP with someone who is really too small. I think for purely visual and screen presence reasons, the casting team is going to need to focus on actresses who are about 5'9" and taller, even though it will cut out a lot of proven younger talent in the biz.

Unfortunately, though I love her work, I believe that cuts out Ms. Atwell. If you want to visualize what I mean, look at her standing next to, embracing, etc, Chris Evans in either Cap A. She is always, always reaching UP to him.

dreamrider

[quote="namelessfly"]After doing some Internet searching to check their "qualifications", my preferences would be for either Haley Atwell or Moon Bloodgood.
Post by dreamrider   » Tue May 27, 2014 11:26 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Alice Truman, I think.

dreamrider

roseandheather wrote:Emilia Clarke for basically anyone. Ever. Because Khaleesi. (Come to think of it, she'd make an extraordinary Eloise...)
Post by dreamrider   » Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Um...no possibility of seeing Allen Higgins in an Honor Harrington movie series until at least film 5 or 6, even if they squash books together a lot.

I wouldn't sweat it for 8-10 years or so.

dreamrider

roseandheather wrote:No but we all know what the most important question is, don't we?

Who's going to play Allen Higgins??

(I nominate Russell Crowe.) :lol:
Post by dreamrider   » Tue May 27, 2014 11:56 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

First of all, have you SEEN the last 10 or so covers that Dave Mattingly has done for Honor books...generally with David's approval??

Secondly, most folks don't think of Jessica Alba as a typically 'white' young lady. Promotional stories at the time reported that she was, in part, cast for Dark (note the word) Angel because of her visible, somewhat exotic, mixed Hispanic - Northern European ancestry.

Actually, if you must have someone with markedly dusky skin tone and a pronouncedly Asiatic eye-shape, you should hope that they dawdle around with this project for another four years or so. Then they could cast David's older daughter. She would be perfect (and lovely!)

(Do I get my red shirt now, David?)

dreamrider

roseandheather wrote:
twistedpuppy wrote:Since her daughters are named Honor and Haven, Jessica Alba should probably rate a mention on general principals. Not likely because she is 1) too expensive, 2)lacking in centimeters, and 3) probably a bit older than what they'd like for a series of movies.

Not to mention whiter than vanilla cake. I maintain that the actress for Honor cannot be white.

My two mainstays are still Moon Bloodgood and Kristin Kreuk, but I've also been very impressed with Olivia Munn - I think she deserves serious consideration.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Wed May 28, 2014 1:07 am

Crown Loyalist
Commander

In watching Arrow, I stumbled across Katrina Law.

She's half-Asian and can definitely handle the physicality required - she's been playing Ra's al Ghul's daughter on Arrow lately. And she's 29, so she'd be in her early 30s when the movie is being shot.

The one obvious downside is her height, she's only 5'8". Now, that's not much too short, she can definitely be made to seem taller, but I have a hard time seeing someone not Honor-sized killing a man with her bare hands with single-strikes like Honor did at dinner with the Protector.

The other, less obvious downside is that she's too pretty.
Post by dreamrider   » Wed May 28, 2014 1:58 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Hey, David!

I just had a great idea.

Once they get the casting for Honor down to about 3 contenders, you and Mike Devlin take them out to the range and have a shoot-off.

Anyone who can't hit somewhere on the silhouette at 25m with an M1911A1 from the standing one-hand position gets an immediate fail.

After that, tightest 3-round group from a combat stance gets the part.

dreamrider

PS - Might help the earlier portions of the casting process if the ladies were asked to submit a certified qualifier target along with their photo and resume.
Post by hvb   » Thu May 29, 2014 2:33 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Heh, I was thinking the same. Daenerys with a string of just as stunning blonde/blond execs ... & TOs (just to take the movie version to 11).

She would have to play a blonde again though. :roll:

Another plus side: a short actress (and she is only like 5'2" IIRC) would make whoever plays Honor look taller by comparison.

Now we only have to find shortish people to populate the entire rest of the cast. :P

I agree with your other comment about needing an actress tall enough to make Nimitz shoulder-riding her seem realistic. If need be scale Nimitz back by those extra 15% or more.

dreamrider wrote:Alice Truman, I think.

dreamrider

roseandheather wrote:Emilia Clarke for basically anyone. Ever. Because Khaleesi. (Come to think of it, she'd make an extraordinary Eloise...)
Post by roseandheather   » Thu May 29, 2014 3:45 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:Um...no possibility of seeing Allen Higgins in an Honor Harrington movie series until at least film 5 or 6, even if they squash books together a lot.

I wouldn't sweat it for 8-10 years or so.

dreamrider

How dare you screw up my lovely fantasy with your ridiculously inconvenient facts??? :evil: :lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Multimedia