Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

An Actress to play Honor Harrington

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
An Actress to play Honor Harrington
Post by namelessfly   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:47 am

namelessfly

After watching the new Captain America movie, it occurs to methat Halley Atwell who plays Agent Carter would be a viable Honor Harrington.

See Wkipedia article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayley_Atwell

While the ageists amongst us would argue that it would be a safer bet to recruit a younger actress, Hollywood make up artists can subtract 10-20 years and add 50. A HotQ movie would hopefully be followed up by SVW, then probably a third film combining FoD and FiE at which point Honor Harrington has become an Admiral.
Re: An Actress to play Honor Harrington
Post by iranuke   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:58 pm

iranuke
Commander

I don't think that she is tall enough. I've always pictured Honor as about 6'2"(188cm).

namelessfly wrote:After watching the new Captain America movie, it occurs to methat Halley Atwell who plays Agent Carter would be a viable Honor Harrington.

While the ageists amongst us would argue that it would be a safer bet to recruit a younger actress, Hollywood make up artists can subtract 10-20 years and add 50. A HotQ movie would hopefully be followed up by SVW, then probably a third film combining FoD and FiE at which point Honor Harrington has become an Admiral.
Post by Werrf   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

iranuke wrote:I don't think that she is tall enough. I've always pictured Honor as about 6'2"(188cm).

Appropriate camera angles can do a lot to make someone seem taller than they are. Acting skill is more important than height, surely.
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:46 pm

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

namelessfly wrote:After watching the new Captain America movie, it occurs to methat Halley Atwell who plays Agent Carter would be a viable Honor Harrington.

Not a single mention of shower-scene-based credentials? Who are you and what have you done with the real Namelessfly? :D
Post by Reader Bob   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:58 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

At the site for the new comic book RFC (as David) agrees that Honor is 6'2". But he says that he wants an actress who has Honor's inner qualities more than a 6'2" Eurasian woman who would probably be difficult to find.

Anyway, wasn't Gary Cooper rather short in real life but a giant on-screen? :)
Post by Reader Bob   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

Oh, cumon! Namelessfly can't be the dirty-old-man twenty-four/seven. This is just a two-minute aberration that can be expected of anyone. Even I have a couple of moments of near sanity per day 8-)
Post by HB of CJ   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:42 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Julie Dreyfus could also probably do it justice. She might be a little bit too old, but like already said, makeup and camera pull and lenses can fix that. She played Sofie Fatale in Kill Bill 1. HB of CJ (old coot) (lecherous old coot also) :)
Post by Hutch   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Reader Bob wrote:At the site for the new comic book RFC (as David) agrees that Honor is 6'2". But he says that he wants an actress who has Honor's inner qualities more than a 6'2" Eurasian woman who would probably be difficult to find.

Anyway, wasn't Gary Cooper rather short in real life but a giant on-screen? :)

I think it was Alan Ladd (most famous for the movie "Shane") who was about 5'5"-5'6" and work-arounds had to be found for him.

But yes, getting the character right is more critical than getting the height right IMHO.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:52 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I'll admit, the actress I always see in my mind when I think of Honor these days is Babylon 5-era Julia Nickson, but it's a couple decades too late for her to play Honor now. (Dame Estelle, on the other hand... :twisted: )

I honestly think Kristin Kreuk might be able to pull it off. Ditto Once Upon a Time's Jamie Chung. And if we're going to venture into the realm of white actresses, I've recently fallen hard for Shailene Woodley, though I actually see her as more of an Abigail Hearns...
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by namelessfly   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:32 pm

namelessfly

Halley is probably overqualified for the shower scenes.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Hal ... ORM=HDRSC2

However; I think that I could suffer through it.

I would point out that Halley has some American Indian ancestry so she has some Eurasian characteristics.

TheGlyphstone wrote:

Not a single mention of shower-scene-based credentials? Who are you and what have you done with the real Namelessfly? :D
Last edited by namelessfly on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Multimedia