Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Found this--Marked as Tale of Honor #4 Cover

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Found this--Marked as Tale of Honor #4 Cover
Post by Hutch   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I'm not sure about the jungle setting and what appears to be Stilties in the background, but the uniform seems to be developing...

Found by browsing google images--if it has already be posted here, then nevermind...

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Re: Found this--Marked as Tale of Honor #4 Cover
Post by Renegade13   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 pm

Renegade13
Commander

Ok... I will try to be nice.

First of all, I agree; the uniform is better than the others that I have seen. Not exactly what I think it should look like, but still, it is better.

Now, I will admit that it has been a while since I read "On Basilisk Station", but I don't think that my memory is off in this case.
#1 - I don't think that Honor ever went down to the surface of the planet. (could be wrong on that one - she might have visited the Governor planetside.)
#2 - I can GUARANTEE that she was never in the 'bush' fighting the Medusans.
#3 - During the fight with the Medusans, Honor and the Fearless were chasing after the Haven Q-ship.
#4 - If you are going to completely ignore the basics of the story, then GIVE IT A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NAME AND STOP CLAIMING THAT THIS HAS A DAMN THING TO DO WITH THE HONORVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Renegade13 wrote:Ok... I will try to be nice.

First of all, I agree; the uniform is better than the others that I have seen. Not exactly what I think it should look like, but still, it is better.

Now, I will admit that it has been a while since I read "On Basilisk Station", but I don't think that my memory is off in this case.
#1 - I don't think that Honor ever went down to the surface of the planet. (could be wrong on that one - she might have visited the Governor planetside.)
#2 - I can GUARANTEE that she was never in the 'bush' fighting the Medusans.
#3 - During the fight with the Medusans, Honor and the Fearless were chasing after the Haven Q-ship.
#4 - If you are going to completely ignore the basics of the story, then GIVE IT A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NAME AND STOP CLAIMING THAT THIS HAS A DAMN THING TO DO WITH THE HONORVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just want to mention that I've been told by friends who are into comics, that many, *many* times, comic cover art - and even regular book cover art - bears no relation to the content of the pages inside. For the most part, it's something to grab the buyer's attention.

I know it's difficult, but try looking at this new cover from the viewpoint of someone who has never read, or even heard of, the Honorverse.
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:02 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

This comic explains one of the other problems with cover art.
Meh.
Just take it as a general indication. Very few books and comics have an actual scene on their cover.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Yow   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:24 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

It might have worked for a Hades scene with her in a State Sec uniform, minus an arm with a damaged face and no Stilties. I must agree the uniform and face is way better though. The grab your attention cover makes sense I guess.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by pilotus   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:50 am

pilotus
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Still, for me is ugly uniforms in action
Post by Yow   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:49 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

Wait. She is missing a glove. She isn't going to break into a alien Thriller song/dance routine is she? A follow up cover to Field of Dishonor maybe?

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Werrf   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:04 am

Werrf
Vice Admiral

Renegade13 wrote:#4 - If you are going to completely ignore the basics of the story, then GIVE IT A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NAME AND STOP CLAIMING THAT THIS HAS A DAMN THING TO DO WITH THE HONORVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deep breath.

Changing the time line to ensure your heroine is in the middle of the action is not 'ignoring the basics of the story'. Not every change to the story is a heretical destruction of everything that is good in the universe.
Post by hvb   » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:35 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Sort of concur here ... as long as a cover page mentions that "events have been modified to ..." or some such (hey, I can at least hope ;) ).

Uniform is much improved, looks military (ok, so still a bit 'Star Trek Jammies meets Uniform', but lots better than before). This Honor looks far more naval officer than anything we have seen before, so I take this as a good sign, especially since I expected to have to wait for the 2nd story-arc for a uniform change. ... remains to be seen if the improvements are similarly reflected under the hood -eh- cover.

Werrf wrote:[snip]
Changing the time line to ensure your heroine is in the middle of the action is not 'ignoring the basics of the story'. Not every change to the story is a heretical destruction of everything that is good in the universe.
Post by SWM   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:50 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Seriously guys--never ever expect the scene depicted on a comic book cover to actually appear anywhere inside the comic. It never happens, and comic fans don't expect it to happen. Oftentimes (as in this case), the scene depicted could not possibly happen because the characters were never there. It is even worse than book covers that way. That is just the nature of the medium.

If you are going to evaluate the upcoming comic covers, evaluate them only for their artwork. Otherwise you are just raising your blood pressure for no reason. And don't expect the cover art to look like the interior art, either. They are done by different artists, who often don't even talk to each other about the content (though they usually are following the same overall guidelines from above). Cover artists and interior artists serve different purposes. This is part of the paradigm of the comic book medium, and either you get it or you don't buy (or review) comic books.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Multimedia