Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

300, Rise of an Empire

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: 300, Rise of an Empire
Post by The E   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:41 am

The E
Admiral

namelessfly wrote:I have had a lot of fun with this thread but the serious point here is that the success of 300, both the original and the sequel, demonstrates that more serious Sci Fi movies can be profitable and that the need to be PG or PG-13 criteria for profitability is no longer paramount.

It does no such thing though. The overlap between the people who want to see 300-like material and the people that want to see Honorverse-like material, while nonzero, is not big enough to allow us to extrapolate the success of one based on the other. The differences in style and tone are just too great.
Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:17 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:It does no such thing though. The overlap between the people who want to see 300-like material and the people that want to see Honorverse-like material, while nonzero, is not big enough to allow us to extrapolate the success of one based on the other. The differences in style and tone are just too great.

Yeah, nobody wanting to see military combat would show up for Honorverse. Or is it 300? But anyhow, sure. :roll:
Post by SWM   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:35 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Well, with a sample size of 1, I want to see the Honor movie, and am not in the least interested in 300. :D
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:Well, with a sample size of 1, I want to see the Honor movie, and am not in the least interested in 300. :D

Make that two.
Post by hvb   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:26 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

++that

;)

Bruno Behrends wrote:
SWM wrote:Well, with a sample size of 1, I want to see the Honor movie, and am not in the least interested in 300. :D

Make that two.
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:02 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Likewise, I want the Honor film and wouldn't waste my time and money to see the 300 one.
Cheers
John
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:13 am

Crown Loyalist
Commander

John Prigent wrote:Likewise, I want the Honor film and wouldn't waste my time and money to see the 300 one.
Cheers
John

Add me to that total.
Post by KNick   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:20 am

KNick
Admiral

Crown Loyalist wrote:
John Prigent wrote:Likewise, I want the Honor film and wouldn't waste my time and money to see the 300 one.
Cheers
John

Add me to that total.

When the ads for the movie came on, I started channel surfing. Even the commercials on other channels were better viewing.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Uroboros   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:34 am

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

300 was fine. I mean the original. It was fun, and I had no illusions about the historical context being completely twisted around. Besides, I liked the cinematography; it resembles an oil painting, which is just neat.

That being said, I have little interest in the "sequel." It looked silly, and it felt like it was just trying to capitalize off the success of 300. It felt like the movie version of Call of Duty. I'm sure the next 300 movie will feature a fully rendered dog or some such gimmick. Or just more boobs. That's what the audience wants, right?
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:48 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Uroboros wrote:300 was fine. I mean the original. It was fun, and I had no illusions about the historical context being completely twisted around. Besides, I liked the cinematography; it resembles an oil painting, which is just neat.

That being said, I have little interest in the "sequel." It looked silly, and it felt like it was just trying to capitalize off the success of 300. It felt like the movie version of Call of Duty. I'm sure the next 300 movie will feature a fully rendered dog or some such gimmick. Or just more boobs. That's what the audience wants, right?

Agreed completely. The first is a lot of fun to watch, and I never expected it to be a history lesson.

OTOH, after I watched it, I did some research on the actual battle and learned a bit, so it was good for that as well. Too bad not many people would do that sort of thing with movies like this.

Return to Multimedia