Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Tales of Honor #1 is out *****SPOILERS*****

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: Tales of Honor #1 is out *****SPOILERS*****
Post by The E   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:12 am

The E
Admiral

Yow wrote:In Tales of Honor when Honor assumed command she read from a digital set of orders. Was the RMN's seemingly long tradition of official letters being issued on paper dispensed with or was it forgotten? Just curious.

I think this is something that works better on paper than it does in a comic. In the book, the deliberate anachronism of this can be commented on and explained as tradition, in the ultra-compressed storytelling of a comic, explaining all this would take a couple lines of dialogue you may want to spend on more important business.
I would imagine that, if this element had been incorporated verbatim, someone not familiar with the novels (and remember, those are the target audience for this book!) would be a bit confused by it.
Post by Yow   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

SWM wrote:Paper versus electronic is a pretty small matter. (Believe me, as a librarian primarily cataloging e-books these days! :lol: )

I mentioned the spatiousness of the ship in my review. Cramped ship scenes don't really work well in comics (or in movies). So I was not surprised at the size of the bridge. It's just one of those things that are different between mediums.

It is a small matter. I just thought the moment it took draw paper or digital printout would have been the same. Navies are ridiculously traditionally traditional. Hence my moment of spatz. I tried to search for posts on bridge size but I didn't see it. I'll add to a post but I don't like doing stand alone repeat posts :oops:

Libraries have e books? How do you check those out? I assumed for a while you were a Terry Pratchett fan but now I'll assume you're an actual librarian. ;)

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by SWM   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:14 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Yow wrote:
SWM wrote:Paper versus electronic is a pretty small matter. (Believe me, as a librarian primarily cataloging e-books these days! :lol: )

I mentioned the spatiousness of the ship in my review. Cramped ship scenes don't really work well in comics (or in movies). So I was not surprised at the size of the bridge. It's just one of those things that are different between mediums.

It is a small matter. I just thought the moment it took draw paper or digital printout would have been the same. Navies are ridiculously traditionally traditional. Hence my moment of spatz. I tried to search for posts on bridge size but I didn't see it. I'll add to a post but I don't like doing stand alone repeat posts :oops:

Libraries have e books? How do you check those out? I assumed for a while you were a Terry Pratchett fan but now I'll assume you're an actual librarian. ;)

My review is on the previous page of this thread. But there's nothing wrong with you pointing out the bridge size or the electronic vs. paper thing. You weren't being belligerent about it, just mentioning things you happened to notice. :)

[diverting off topic]Yes, I am an actual librarian. :D A lot of public libraries do have e-books available for loan. Basically, the library signs up with a service (the largest is OverDrive) which can send the e-book (or audiobook, video, or music) to an app which you load on your electronic device. After the loan period, the app deletes the file from your device, or you could 'return' it early. The library has a limited number of 'copies' which can be on loan at a time. Online titles can be integrated into the library catalog. So it works a lot like loaning a physical item. The OverDrive app is free, and there are versions for almost every electronic reader/player.

I work in an academic library. We generally negotiate our licenses so that we don't need to loan e-resources. Our e-resources are accessible through the web (usually through our online catalog) to anyone with a university account.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:04 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Heh... was reading the customer reviews (only 7 so far) for the e-version of Tales of Honor #1 on Amazon. The average review is 2.5 stars out of 5. Main reason is that apparently some are dinging the comic itself because they can't read it on their Kindle or Kindle app for their PC.

Of the few that actually reviewed the comic, it seems pretty favorable.
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:04 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

SWM wrote:
Yow wrote:It is a small matter. I just thought the moment it took draw paper or digital printout would have been the same. Navies are ridiculously traditionally traditional. Hence my moment of spatz. I tried to search for posts on bridge size but I didn't see it. I'll add to a post but I don't like doing stand alone repeat posts :oops:

My review is on the previous page of this thread. But there's nothing wrong with you pointing out the bridge size or the electronic vs. paper thing. You weren't being belligerent about it, just mentioning things you happened to notice. :)

[diverting off topic]Yes, I am an actual librarian. :D A lot of public libraries do have e-books available for loan. Basically, the library signs up with a service (the largest is OverDrive) which can send the e-book (or audiobook, video, or music) to an app which you load on your electronic device. After the loan period, the app deletes the file from your device, or you could 'return' it early. The library has a limited number of 'copies' which can be on loan at a time. Online titles can be integrated into the library catalog. So it works a lot like loaning a physical item. The OverDrive app is free, and there are versions for almost every electronic reader/player.

I work in an academic library. We generally negotiate our licenses so that we don't need to loan e-resources. Our e-resources are accessible through the web (usually through our online catalog) to anyone with a university account.

Mike Devlin made his initial VLAM [Very Large Amount of Money :lol:] in software and is the sort of major technical geek who could sit down and drink coffee (or hot chocolate) with Shannon Foraker and Sonja Hemphill. As such he informed me at a very early conference that the Honorverse was going paperless. :) Overall, I'm good with that, and the point that explaining the RMN tradition of written orders for this single, specific function would use a lot of bandwidth in a comic book, where word count is a huge concern) is also well taken.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:04 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I just finished Tales of Honor #1 and enjoyed it. :D

While I haven't read comics in years and have read all the Honor novels, I thought the artists and writers did a good job in taking the written story and translating it into comic form.

Oh, I'm not sure I like Nimitz's looks or size but that's a minor nit. :)
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by John Prigent   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:36 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

I'm inclined to agree. The story is well done, and the illustrations fit the dialogue - tough job to get that right. But I'm another who would prefer a modified Nimitz who looks more like he's described in the books.
Cheers
John
DrakBibliophile wrote:I just finished Tales of Honor #1 and enjoyed it. :D

While I haven't read comics in years and have read all the Honor novels, I thought the artists and writers did a good job in taking the written story and translating it into comic form.

Oh, I'm not sure I like Nimitz's looks or size but that's a minor nit. :)
Post by ericth   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:11 pm

ericth
Commander

I noticed there's a kindle edition. Is kindle any decent for a comic? I have a Kindle DX and have noticed that artwork in novels tends to be hard to read, and often too small.
Post by MaxxQ   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:55 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

ericth wrote:I noticed there's a kindle edition. Is kindle any decent for a comic? I have a Kindle DX and have noticed that artwork in novels tends to be hard to read, and often too small.

Most of the complaints I mentioned a few posts up were from people who got the Kindle version. They couldn't zoom in to read it and I guess it doesn't fit right. Check out the customer reviews yourself.

One reason I prefer dead tree copies - no worries about the format.
Post by Borealis   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Borealis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Ran across the release date for Tales of Honor #2 to be April 9th. It will be very interesting to see if any of the suggestions made here on the forums will be incorporated. My fingers are crossed...

Return to Multimedia