Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Tales of Honor #1 is out *****SPOILERS*****

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: Tales of Honor #1 is out *****SPOILERS*****
Post by pokermind   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:03 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

IIRC David said the first two were in the can a while back.

Poker

Borealis wrote:Ran across the release date for Tales of Honor #2 to be April 9th. It will be very interesting to see if any of the suggestions made here on the forums will be incorporated. My fingers are crossed...
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by hvb   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:35 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yes, they will probably be able to incorporate a few "minor" updates in the current 5-issue arc (like race mix and such), but major changes like Nimitz and a more canon-like uniform will likely have to wait until they can slide it in under the radar as a stylistic change when they change lead artist for the second arc.

pokermind wrote:IIRC David said the first two were in the can a while back.

Poker

Borealis wrote:Ran across the release date for Tales of Honor #2 to be April 9th. It will be very interesting to see if any of the suggestions made here on the forums will be incorporated. My fingers are crossed...
Post by Borealis   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Borealis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Darn, it appears the release date for Tales of Honor #2 has slipped to April 16 according to Top Cow's website. I'm rather disappointed as I was looking forward to having a look at it to see what improvements (if any) have been made since the first issue. Hopefully delays in release means last minute improvements, but I'm not holding my breath...
Post by Starsaber   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

Borealis wrote:Darn, it appears the release date for Tales of Honor #2 has slipped to April 16 according to Top Cow's website. I'm rather disappointed as I was looking forward to having a look at it to see what improvements (if any) have been made since the first issue. Hopefully delays in release means last minute improvements, but I'm not holding my breath...

Art for comics is a rather long process. It'll probably be at least a couple more issues before we see any response to comments on issue 1. That's not to say there won't be improvements based on changes Evergreen made to (for example) uniform design. If the date was only pushed back a week, that's probably an issue with getting everything printed.
Post by Borealis   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Borealis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Starsaber wrote:
Art for comics is a rather long process. It'll probably be at least a couple more issues before we see any response to comments on issue 1. That's not to say there won't be improvements based on changes Evergreen made to (for example) uniform design. If the date was only pushed back a week, that's probably an issue with getting everything printed.

Quite true, but according to RFC, Evergreen has been lurking on these forums for a while and has been listening to our comments and critiques. Considering that, I don't think it's beyond the realm of plausibility at least some improvements might appear in the next issue. Or I can at least hope so...
Post by crewdude48   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

Borealis wrote:Darn, it appears the release date for Tales of Honor #2 has slipped to April 16 according to Top Cow's website. I'm rather disappointed as I was looking forward to having a look at it to see what improvements (if any) have been made since the first issue. Hopefully delays in release means last minute improvements, but I'm not holding my breath...

According to my comic fan friend, TopCow is notorious for publication dates slipping.
Post by ghostbeetle   » Fri May 02, 2014 3:43 pm

ghostbeetle
Midshipman

That's been my experience with Top Cow as well. As long as they do deliver sometime, I can wait

Back on topic though...
That first wordless wolfsmile of Honor's, in the Tepes' prison cell...PERFECT! :o :D
She quite reminded me of a female version of a certain Leroy Jethro Gibbs - taciturn, self-possessed and powerful, even under extreme duress.

We can talk about Top Cow, or Evergreen, doing individual things from some kind of checklist of the books right or wrong all we want - and I'm not excluding myself from that kind of activity, nor saying that it is all just self-indulgent narrowmindedness. But if the comics and the other media aren't engaging in their own right this will all be for nothing.
And, so far, I'm definitely engaged! :D
Both as a fan of the novels and a comics reader.

And, apparently, I'm not the only one - judging from several reviews I've found online. Here's a link with a small selection, for the so inclined:

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books ... of-honor/1

Reading and comparing these (the negative ones, too, of course) it's interesting to me how everyone has a slightly different reaction to and read of the first issue and most of the reviewers here make a point of not having read the novels, which may make their reactions all the more interesting to longtime fans. As long as you can keep control of any potential knee-jerk reactions to rush to the defense of our beloved series, that is. Which sometimes I find a little hard to do myself (especially in the case of a certain Youtube review... I'm sure you could find that one, too, I don't think there's more than one.)
Judge for yourself.

I've always been a huge fan of the novels but I was never sure what a mass audience of non-SF fans would make of the story. For better or worse, it looks like we're about to find out. I'm sure we're all hoping for it to succeed but I'll still be happy if they fail by being as interesting and enterprising as that first issue was.

(Uhm, that last bit could probably have been clearer. What I meant was, even 'Firefly' failed - as a commercially viable product, that is. I think that just says about everything.)

Return to Multimedia