Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

VISUALIZATION OF HONOR

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: (STICKY) VISUALIZATION OF HONOR
Post by rdt   » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:28 pm

rdt
Commodore

Why don't you try to design the uniforms for a male officer first. Then the designs for women officers should follow naturally. Not all bodies belong in the duds we see here. The RMN has all kinds of bodies. Weber often describes a character (female) as stocky or sturdy. Or even thin. But never curvacious or sexy. I have a photo taken at the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace in Stockholm of the cutest female soldier I ever saw and she is wearing the same uniform as the male guards. Same silly spiked helmet and all.

Evergreen Studios wrote:Bringing Honor to life visually has meant addressing two major elements: her visual look and the uniforms she wears. At some point Honor is going to have to be played by a real life human and that creates challenges given David’s description; there are not many Honor Harrington’s walking on Earth today. One thing was clear when we first approached Honor; we couldn’t base her on today’s Hollywood hot actresses, she’s too quirky for that. While we haven’t even remotely started a casting process for the role, we have picked out a number of different “Honors” that we think take us in the right direction and we are working on developing that further.

The visual representations of Honor released thus far are mostly from the Top Cow Comic. Comic art tends to be eye-catching because it is all about selling the books based on the cover art. These versions of Honor will perhaps be different than what you might visualize by reading David’s descriptions, especially since comic book artists are prone to be very fantasy-driven. In all honesty we love the artwork that Juen-Geun Yoon has delivered and think it looks fantastic – but at the same time you will see that in the interior pieces we have toned Honor’s physique into a much more athletic frame (our reference has always been that of top female athletes whose stature tend to mirror Honor’s). Honor’s look will continue to evolve in this manner, even throughout the first series of comics as we start to focus down on the correct look. We hope to share some of that evolution here.

The same can be said of the uniform/dress that Honor wears. When we initially developed the concept piece on which the comic cover is based, we were working on the visual representation of Honor on the bridge. One of the ideas that Patrick Tatopolous came up with was that each of the enlisted on the bridge would effectively have with them a holo display at all times, so that a visual projection of any battle or occurrence in space could be in front of their eyes at all times, and shared with others as needed. The enlarged belt was the source of that projector.

Since that time we have developed numerous different looks for Honor. The current incarnation is much more inline with the tone of the RMN. It loses the belt, places correct insignia and ranking, and is better suited to action. It will be featured in the “Science Class” piece of the first issue of the comic out on March 5th, but we thought we’d release a sneak peak here.

Post by SWM   » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:33 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

rdt wrote:Why don't you try to design the uniforms for a male officer first. Then the designs for women officers should follow naturally. Not all bodies belong in the duds we see here. The RMN has all kinds of bodies. Weber often describes a character (female) as stocky or sturdy. Or even thin. But never curvacious or sexy. I have a photo taken at the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace in Stockholm of the cutest female soldier I ever saw and she is wearing the same uniform as the male guards. Same silly spiked helmet and all.

I have to disagree here. Designing a uniform for the male officers first is a bad idea. They need to design something that will work for both men and women, and it is better to start with women. IMHO, it is easier in general to adjust a design that works for a woman to a man, than to adjust a design that works for a man to a woman.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Taurus2   » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:01 pm

Taurus2
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I see where RDT is coming from. In our culture at large and in comics in particular, there's still an overwhelming tendency to sexualize female figures to an unnecessary degree, from their posing to their wardrobe. In contrast, male figures are largely unsexualized. Designing the male uniform first and then saying "okay, the women wear that too" seems like a good way to dodge some of the temptation to put women in clothing that emphasizes their sexuality in ways that don't fit the character or their role in the story.
Post by SWM   » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:01 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Taurus2 wrote:I see where RDT is coming from. In our culture at large and in comics in particular, there's still an overwhelming tendency to sexualize female figures to an unnecessary degree, from their posing to their wardrobe. In contrast, male figures are largely unsexualized. Designing the male uniform first and then saying "okay, the women wear that too" seems like a good way to dodge some of the temptation to put women in clothing that emphasizes their sexuality in ways that don't fit the character or their role in the story.

Except that the article is talking about the development of the uniform intended for the movie, which will be worn by real people.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:48 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Still no pockets?
Post by Yow   » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

Spacekiwi wrote:Personally, on ship I always thought it kind of weird they werent wearing skinsuits pretty much constantly. You are in a working envionment with the hazard of being in space, so wearing protective equipment is a smart thig. Since that equipment is also uniform, really it should be the permanent space uniform.

Personally, I think it's because it is a space suit. It requires periodic maintenance. Constant use for a suit that's custom fit on deployment leads to unnecessary wear and tear. Even now our space travelers don't wear their EVAs all the time. My opinion, it's just too wearing on the body and mind to not dress down when you can. Also someone mentioned US Navy camouflage. Aquaflage... Not my favorite uniform, but better than the Utilities we wore for awhile. Just give me back my Dungarees.

I like the color styling of #3 & #4 if those are the Skinsuits. I remember reading about how Grayson's uniforms we're described as antiquated and uncomfortable and how the Manticoran's were designed for comfort and ease of use in a working environment. The style of #1 & #2 are Ok'ish but it doesn't seem to keep in mind the stories basic description of a comfortable uniform. I hope you keep in mind that if an actor isn't comfortable wearing the uniform for an eight to twelve hour shift neither is a spacer.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by JustADavid   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:14 am

JustADavid
Midshipman

The only grip that I have is that you got the hair wrong while she is a prisoner aboard the Tepes, Honor should have longer hair. She started growing it longer in "Flag in Exile".
Post by The E   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:26 am

The E
Admiral

JustADavid wrote:The only grip that I have is that you got the hair wrong while she is a prisoner aboard the Tepes, Honor should have longer hair. She started growing it longer in "Flag in Exile".

Could be a punitive measure Ransom used.
Post by Yow   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:40 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

JustADavid wrote:The only grip that I have is that you got the hair wrong while she is a prisoner aboard the Tepes, Honor should have longer hair. She started growing it longer in "Flag in Exile".

State Sec cut her braids off by shaving it, for hygiene of course.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

The E and Yow are both right. Ransom had Honor's hair shaved completely off, not only for "hygiene" reasons, but also in an attempt to demoralize her. Of course, they didn't know that she had kept a buzz-cut for years anyway, and that cutting it again wouldn't have an effect on her.

Return to Multimedia