Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

VISUALIZATION OF HONOR

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
VISUALIZATION OF HONOR
Post by Evergreen Studios   » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Evergreen Studios
Official Representative

Bringing Honor to life visually has meant addressing two major elements: her visual look and the uniforms she wears. At some point Honor is going to have to be played by a real life human and that creates challenges given David’s description; there are not many Honor Harrington’s walking on Earth today. One thing was clear when we first approached Honor; we couldn’t base her on today’s Hollywood hot actresses, she’s too quirky for that. While we haven’t even remotely started a casting process for the role, we have picked out a number of different “Honors” that we think take us in the right direction and we are working on developing that further.

The visual representations of Honor released thus far are mostly from the Top Cow Comic. Comic art tends to be eye-catching because it is all about selling the books based on the cover art. These versions of Honor will perhaps be different than what you might visualize by reading David’s descriptions, especially since comic book artists are prone to be very fantasy-driven. In all honesty we love the artwork that Juen-Geun Yoon has delivered and think it looks fantastic – but at the same time you will see that in the interior pieces we have toned Honor’s physique into a much more athletic frame (our reference has always been that of top female athletes whose stature tend to mirror Honor’s). Honor’s look will continue to evolve in this manner, even throughout the first series of comics as we start to focus down on the correct look. We hope to share some of that evolution here.

The same can be said of the uniform/dress that Honor wears. When we initially developed the concept piece on which the comic cover is based, we were working on the visual representation of Honor on the bridge. One of the ideas that Patrick Tatopolous came up with was that each of the enlisted on the bridge would effectively have with them a holo display at all times, so that a visual projection of any battle or occurrence in space could be in front of their eyes at all times, and shared with others as needed. The enlarged belt was the source of that projector.

Since that time we have developed numerous different looks for Honor. The current incarnation is much more inline with the tone of the RMN. It loses the belt, places correct insignia and ranking, and is better suited to action. It will be featured in the “Science Class” piece of the first issue of the comic out on March 5th, but we thought we’d release a sneak peak here.

Re: (STICKY) VISUALIZATION OF HONOR
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:37 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

BRAVO!

Those look great, and it's nice to see the evolutionary process.

TBH, while #4 is closest to canon, I've taken a liking to #3. The red epaulets look really good, and add a subtle bit of color. The major color of #'s 3 and 4 are fine as is - I can accept either one.

The only problem I have, and it's a minor one, is the form-fitting cut. IMO, both the blouse and the trousers should be a bit looser. The looseness of the trousers in #2 is perfect. OTOH, I would expect skinsuits to be as form-fitting as you currently have uniforms 3 and 4.

Glad you are also taking into account her athleticism. This is a *very* good look for her.

Allow me to again say Bravo! Good job, guys.

BTW, I'm still going to be at my local comic shop in a week-and-a-half.
Post by pokermind   » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:45 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Much closer to the books, I could live with it but prefer

http://thomasthecat.deviantart.com/art/House-of-Steel-RMN-Officer-s-Uniform-402968637 from the HOS book style uniform.

The long tail is uncomfortable, difficult to adjust clothing while sitting on it. What's with that partial glove thing? Remind the artists it's a military uniform not high fashion. As noted I could live with it but, won't like it.

If we did another poll with this uniform I think over half would like or could live with it. Compared to the current numbers.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:51 pm

MuonNeutrino
Commander

Hmmm... interesting.

First, let me state that all three newer versions are major, major improvements on the original.

As for the particular versions, I think there are actually elements from each of them that I like. I'm not sure which one I like best.

For the second outfit, I like that it looks more like clothes and less like a bodysuit. I think the third and the fourth go a bit too far in the other direction - they're a bit too skintight and sleek looking, in both fit and styling. I think this mostly comes down to the large 'breast panel' area on the third and fourth outfits - that looks a bit odd to me for some reason.

The third outfit, I think, has the best coloring. It brings in the gold, but still has a dark primary color. And flay me if you want, purists, but I actually *like* this combo of gold and very dark blue. It's a subdued enough color scheme to not stick out, while still looking nice.

I don't like the colors on the fourth one - I think this blue is far too bright - but the tailoring is better than the third. With a bit of a redesign of the upper torso area (and perhaps de-jaggedifying the hem of the tunic), this one would look pretty decent in the more subdued colors of the third, especially if you loosen it and make it a bit less form-fitting. And, of course, the beret is nice.
Post by KNick   » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:59 pm

KNick
Admiral

Thank you for sharing. Either three or four would work for me. Like MaxxQ, I like the red epaulets on three, but I also prefer the gold rank insignia and the gold trim on four. I also like the fact that you remembered the unit patch on both. Both are definitely military uniforms rather than civilian attire. I also agree that they are too tight. A four hour watch would get uncomfortable in something that form fitting.

Thank you for listening to our complaints and acting on them. It should give all of us hope that this project will succeed.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by eightzero   » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:12 pm

eightzero
Midshipman

Ah ha. A confirmation we won't be seeing a CGI Honor.
Post by crewdude48   » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:07 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

I agree with what others have posted before, a grand improvement. If I could make my own out of what you have here, I would go with the cut of number 2 (maybe shorten the blouse a little) with the coloring of number 3. I absolutely love the color combo on number 3. It looks both military and bad ass at the same time.

If you want to call number 4 the skinsuit I would be perfectly happy with that, but in my opinion, it looks a little snug and... one-pieced maybe, to be a standard working uniform.

As a side note, was I the only one who saw number 2 and immediately thought of the Babylon 5 rebellion uniforms?
Post by biochem   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:27 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

I like #4 the best, although #3 is very good as well.
Post by Taurus2   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:05 am

Taurus2
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I'll echo that numbers 3 and 4 are the best, with the caveat that #4 might be treading a bit too close to the Alliance uniforms from Mass Effect.
Post by kzt   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:49 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

representation of Honor on the bridge. One of the ideas that Patrick Tatopolous came up with was that each of the enlisted on the bridge would effectively have with them a holo display at all times, so that a visual projection of any battle or occurrence in space could be in front of their eyes at all times, and shared with others as needed. The enlarged belt was the source of that projector.

I have to admit that never crossed my mind. Truthfully I can't really visualize how that would look on the bridge, but it seems like it would produce a pretty busy scene. I'd assume your concept guy has some idea on what this would look like, are you going to show a concept piece of what the bridge would look like with this? (The projector was shown as so big that it would impede moment and sitting, if it was reduced by 2000 years of advanced tech that might be cool.)

Anyhow, image 2 looks adequate and much improved over 1, 3 and 4 look quite a bit better, I don't really have any strong preferences between 3 & 4.

I'd assume that the normal duty style uniform isn't quite so form fitting?

Return to Multimedia