Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

A VIEW INTO THE WORLD WE’RE DEVELOPING

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: A VIEW INTO THE WORLD WE’RE DEVELOPING
Post by SWM   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:15 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

hvb wrote:As MaxxQ I have aired the same sentiments. I really hope Evergreen has dealt with 3D for long enough not to be drawn into the juvenile approach to the 3D medium (which I have likened to what happened when the "talkies" came out back when), but instead tell the story and let the 3D accentuate where appropriate, the way sound is used in movies today.

Well, since the entire business of Evergreen is making 3D CGI, their experience with 3D is as long as the company has existed.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by hvb   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:47 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Actually, I think most of them have experience predating the founding of the company back in 2008. ;)

Age does not, however (nor even does experience), automatically convey wisdom, this requires reflection.

Now I fully agree that they are among the few companies with the ability needed to pull off a mature approach to the medium; but doing so requires that they have made a conscious decision to work towards that goal, rather than default to the industrial status quo.

I was basically fishing for a comment from their side to confirm that they have indeed made a such decision to clearly subordinate 3D to a plot-support tool, rather than as a device competing with plot for screen time; which latter is the industrial standard in Hollywood to date. (I am sure you can find an exception to the rule, maybe even two, but a handful they will not make.)

SWM wrote:
hvb wrote:As MaxxQ I have aired the same sentiments. I really hope Evergreen has dealt with 3D for long enough not to be drawn into the juvenile approach to the 3D medium (which I have likened to what happened when the "talkies" came out back when), but instead tell the story and let the 3D accentuate where appropriate, the way sound is used in movies today.

Well, since the entire business of Evergreen is making 3D CGI, their experience with 3D is as long as the company has existed.
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:27 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

SWM wrote:

You do realize there's a difference between 3D CGI and 3D, right?

The first can be used to create items used in/for/with the second, but the second does *not* require the first.

Basically, what I'm saying is that while one may have years of experience creating 3D CGI meshes and effects, it doesn't mean that one can use 3D to good effect.

Now, I don't recall if Walking With Dinosaurs was released in 3D, so it may *not* be true that Evergreen has any experience with 3D. OTOH, they are a relatively new studio, with folks who have experience with other films. I'm sure some of those people may have worked on a film or two that had a 3D release.

Who knows? Maybe the HotQ movie will be the first to make me appreciate 3D films.

I wouldn't bet on it though.
Post by SWM   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:22 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
SWM wrote:Well, since the entire business of Evergreen is making 3D CGI, their experience with 3D is as long as the company has existed.

You do realize there's a difference between 3D CGI and 3D, right?

The first can be used to create items used in/for/with the second, but the second does *not* require the first.

Basically, what I'm saying is that while one may have years of experience creating 3D CGI meshes and effects, it doesn't mean that one can use 3D to good effect.

Now, I don't recall if Walking With Dinosaurs was released in 3D, so it may *not* be true that Evergreen has any experience with 3D. OTOH, they are a relatively new studio, with folks who have experience with other films. I'm sure some of those people may have worked on a film or two that had a 3D release.

Who knows? Maybe the HotQ movie will be the first to make me appreciate 3D films.

Yes, I know the difference. Perhaps I should have put a comma between those, or just said 3D movies.

Walking With Dinosaurs was released in both 3D and 2D.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:50 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

SWM wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:You do realize there's a difference between 3D CGI and 3D, right?

Yes, I know the difference. Perhaps I should have put a comma between those, or just said 3D movies.

Walking With Dinosaurs was released in both 3D and 2D.

Okay.

Return to Multimedia