Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

A VIEW INTO THE WORLD WE’RE DEVELOPING

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: A VIEW INTO THE WORLD WE’RE DEVELOPING
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:44 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

The last time this topic came up, I gave my response, but I'll repeat it here: I don't *like* 3D movies. They look fake. They have scenes that are obviously meant to be seen in 3D - bullets, knives, axes, shuriken, whatever being "thrown" at the screen to add to the "enjoyment".

It has nothing to do with the glasses bothering me. I don't get headaches, and it's not blurry, or too dark, or whatever. I just think it looks like contrived crap.

3D for the sake of 3D.

I admit that some 3D looks good (or at least, somewhat better than the '50's incarnation of it), but IMO, it's still no better than looking at a pop-up book. When I can get up and walk around the "screen" and the view changes as *I* move, *then* I'll be satisfied with 3D.

I expect that the Honor movie will be in 2D as well, in which case, I will see it. If it's shown in 3D exclusively... well, I guess I'll never watch it in theaters. If the Blu-Ray/DVD release is exclusively 3D, then I guess I'll never see it.
Post by SWM   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:27 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

I can't think of a single movie that has been released solely in 3D format. They are all distributed with both 2D and 3D formats. I doubt you have anything to worry about, Maxxq.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:38 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

SWM wrote:I can't think of a single movie that has been released solely in 3D format. They are all distributed with both 2D and 3D formats. I doubt you have anything to worry about, Maxxq.

Yep. Me either. Just putting it out there, just in case, though.
Post by 61Cygni   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:42 pm

61Cygni
Commander

Space-based movies seem ideal for the 3D treatment, as Gravity has showed--many people have said that it's far superior to the 2D version. So done right, the 3D should be great for the Honorverse movie, though the later novels with the large fleets and walls of battle are actually more appropriate.
Post by Starsaber   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

MuonNeutrino wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:3D?

God, I hope not. I would love to actually be able to watch it.

I think most big budget movies at this point are released in both 2D and 3D.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:33 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

I think the hobbit in 3d was alright but not because of the 3d actiony stuff, but rather the depth it gave to the backgrounds. it just made the backgrounds seem so much more majestic.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

I hope it comes out in 2D.
3D gives me a massive migraine after the first fifteen or twenty minutes.
If it only came out in 3D, I wouldn't be able to see it until it came out on Blu-Ray.

Given the speed of the missiles and the distances involved, I forsee some kind of "Bullet Time" effect whenever laser heads explode.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by pilotus   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:38 pm

pilotus
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

bullet time - oh yeah! And I want to pause for a second before the explosion, then slowly change the angle so that it is more profitable reflected explosion and finally - bang.
Post by strapakai   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:53 pm

strapakai
Ensign

If it only comes out in 3D, I'll bring my 2D glasses.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e9b4/
Post by hvb   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:27 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

As MaxxQ I have aired the same sentiments. I really hope Evergreen has dealt with 3D for long enough not to be drawn into the juvenile approach to the 3D medium (which I have likened to what happened when the "talkies" came out back when), but instead tell the story and let the 3D accentuate where appropriate, the way sound is used in movies today.

As for the 2D arguments; I will probably see it in 3D the second time, but in 2D the first & any subsequent times (unless the 3D is done in a way that doesn't distract me from the rest of the experience).

Anyone with the initiative to visit this board must be assumed to have the motivation to buy (or make) 2D glasses if they cannot/won't watch the 3D and find 2D screenings to be on too small screens for their liking.

strapakai wrote:http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e9b4/

I too have never heard of a 3D cinema that doesn't offer 2D screenings also. The problem over here at least is usually an incomplete set for children's movies; e.g. Rio 2 which runs now in: 3D, 2D, 2D original language, BUT NO 3D original language ... not really a problem if you want to avoid 3D, but if you would prefer the 3D & English combo you either pay twice, or you walk away (he said and started walking).

Return to Multimedia