Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

A VIEW INTO THE WORLD WE’RE DEVELOPING

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
A VIEW INTO THE WORLD WE’RE DEVELOPING
Post by Evergreen Studios   » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Evergreen Studios
Official Representative

Welcome. We thought we’d start our first post by acknowledging a number of topics that we have been following on the board, letting you into our current development process as to where we are, and explaining briefly where we are headed.

First, we wanted to explain that adapting the Honorverse to various visually-driven platforms such as comics, games, TV and film requires us to reimagine some of what has long been held as gospel to the core fanbase. This is not to be an affront to the numerous designers that have been involved with the World to date, it is not to suggest that the works of Mattingly, Genkkis, BuNine and the fans are in any way inferior to what we will develop – it’s purely a side effect of taking David’s books into new visual media. These formats require movement, visual storytelling, instant identification and the creation of characters or environments without any presumption that can stand on their own against other science fiction franchises without requiring prior knowledge of the Honorverse.

All of the concept art we have shown has been developed with a great deal of investigation, care and attention to the details of the Honorverse, and ALL of it is still work in progress. We have spent the last year working with numerous talented film artists such as Patrick Tatopolous (I am Legend, Underworld, Total Recall), Matt Codd (Men in Black, Terminator 3 & 4, Saving Private Ryan), Jim Oxford (X-Men 2, Jurassic Park 2, Planet of the Apes) and Blur Studios (Thor: The Dark World, Avatar, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). We feel privileged to be working with artists of this caliber and are incredibly excited by the work that is being done, but we haven’t yet fully nailed the look of the Worlds, the Ships, the Characters, the Costumes and the Treecat. The visual process takes time, and our concept art can still change a great deal.

While continuing to develop the visual language of the Honorverse, we have started to produce actual real-world commercial content. First up, we have a comic book, created in collaboration with Top Cow Productions and to be published by Image Comics. The first issue will be released March 5th, 2014, followed by an issue per month. An iOS/Android game is also being developed in collaboration with Idol Minds that we will publish mid-March.

The reason for these commercial ventures is to start spreading the word about Honor beyond the key fan base to those unschooled in the Honorverse, to broaden the appeal and hopefully motivate more people to discover and fall in love with David’s work. Growing the audience over time allows us to drive to our eventual goal – an Honor Harrington feature film – so when we arrive we have a “four quadrant” engaged audience that can support a movie of this size and ambition.

Because these two ventures are happening in parallel with our ongoing art creation and exploration, you are likely to see things appear there that aren’t representative of what will be our final vision for the feature film. We have been reading your reaction to art pieces that have been made public and your notes are always taken on board. In particular, we have noted your reaction to Honor and her attire, the ships and Nimitz – we will address these topics in threads to give ample space for focused discussion.

In the next week we'll start with the topic of Honor and her Uniform, until then - thanks!
Re: (STICKY) A VIEW INTO THE WORLD WE’RE DEVELOPING
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:13 pm

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Hi, Evergreen! Welcome to the forums. And as a costumer, I'm thrilled that Honor's uniform is the first topic up! =) I'm looking forward to it.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:00 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

NortonIDaughter wrote:Hi, Evergreen! Welcome to the forums. And as a costumer, I'm thrilled that Honor's uniform is the first topic up! =) I'm looking forward to it.

Just watch out for the Namelessfly, he'll probably try to stir the pot by suggesting the uniform worn by the Lovely Angels (a.k.a. theDirty Pair)...
And suggesting more shower scenes...
:lol:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by RHWoodman   » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:03 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

Hi, Evergreen Studios,

Welcome to the forums. I really do understand the need to make changes in order move the story from print to screen. At the same time, I must say that I have been put off by some of what I have seen produced so far.

I look forward to the discussions, and I won't go ballistic on you if I disagree with your choices. :D At the same time, I hope that you'll make Honor's uniform look like a military uniform worn by a professional naval officer. What I've seen so far in the comic book covers has not left a positive impression on me.

Also, I fervently hope that the blue demon Nimitz that was on one of the comic covers is a thing of the past! :x

Again, I look forward to your comments and to learning how and why you make the decisions you make. I am reasonably confident that I won't agree with everything you decide, but as long as you make a credible Honorverse movie that is profitable to you so that more can be made, I can live with quite a bit.
Post by Highlander1960   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Highlander1960
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Well it's nice to finally see something official from Evergreen on the boards..

I get that concept art is just that..concept art.

I get that certain changes are necessary to widen the fan-base beyond the core.

I just hope that those changes are not a case of completely changing everything those of us who were here 20 years ago have come to recognise as the Honorverse.
Post by Borealis   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Borealis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I would like to add my thanks to Evergreen for joining the forums here and subjecting themselves to the passionate postings of the fans of David's work.

I find myself hoping that the Subject of this thread implies that there will be postings of releasable concept art in the not too distant future. There are numerous books that have been released from various movie franchises containing said art (most not even close to what was actually filmed), though most seem to be promotional in nature at or around the time of actual movie release. How likely is the possibility of early concept art release occurring?

I imagine a lot of the more... energetic comments are based off of early work (primarily Top Cows interpretation) and being able to see the evolution and even incorporation of some of our suggestions would lead to much more constructive suggestions. (That, and I am really eager to see what I can expect.)
Re: A VIEW INTO THE WORLD WE’RE DEVELOPING
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:18 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

3D?
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:39 am

MuonNeutrino
Commander

Lord Skimper wrote:3D?

God, I hope not. I would love to actually be able to watch it.
Post by 61Cygni   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:51 am

61Cygni
Commander

MuonNeutrino wrote:

From a post by RFC a while ago, it will be in 3D. After all, 3D CGI is one of Evergreen's specialties.
Post by crewdude48   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:50 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

MuonNeutrino wrote:

Why can't you watch 3D? Makes you nauseous? This makes you a part of about 30% of the population. If you have to go and see a 3D film, there are two D glasses. My wife owns a pair, so we can go to the movies together, I can it in 3D, and she can see it in crisp clear 2D.

Return to Multimedia