Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

(STICKY) Evergreen Introductory Note

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
(STICKY) Evergreen Introductory Note
Post by Evergreen Studios   » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Evergreen Studios
Official Representative

Welcome to the Evergreen Studios subforum that David and Derick Chan have so graciously allowed for us to put up here on the Weber Forum. We know how passionate you all are about Honor Harrington and the world that David has created, so we want to let you in on our development of the franchise into various visual media, and establish a direct channel of communication about it with you. We had the great pleasure of meeting some of you at HonorCon last November and starting this discussion, and we hope it will be as spirited and productive as it was then!

We thought we would start with a few vital notes that will hopefully give you insight into our process and help you understand where we are in this great adventure. Evergreen Studios began bringing the Honorverse to life visually over 18 months ago. In that time, we have made some great strides (both forwards, backwards and yes at times sideways) in developing the Honorverse into a visual environment. With the help of David, Tom Pope and BuNine we have honed many aspects of the Honorverse to strike a balance between broad visual appeal and staying true to the author’s work. Also during this time we had the joy of bringing our first feature film to the big screen, Walking with Dinosaurs, released by 20th Century Fox this past December. Evergreen Studios is not a large company, and to achieve a first release of this scale feels like a major accomplishment. We also learned a lot of lessons along the way, and hope to bring this experience to bear as we endeavor to expand the audience for the Honorverse while staying true to what makes it so compelling.

Since HonorCon we have been actively reading your comments and taking notes. We will be posting a response to some of the more heated discussion topics as a starting point for this forum and hope to engage on a periodic basis to answer some of the questions that will undoubtedly be raised when new material is released.

We look forward reading your thoughts. As David has often pointed out, not everything we develop can possibly be to his or your pre-conceived notions of what this world should look like. There are inevitably areas where we are going to have to diverge from some of the art and design that exists for the Honorverse. We do not treat such divergence lightly, nor do we intend to stray from the core tenets of the Honorverse and its scientific underpinnings. What we do hope to achieve is to explain our choices and continue the productive and lively dialogue that began at HonorCon 2013.

Our intention is to post a new topic on a regular basis to garner feedback, we unfortunately don't have the bandwidth to answer each and every post so our hope is that our topics will provide a good sounding board for us and interesting discussion points for you.

Many thanks.
Re: (STICKY) Evergreen Introductory Note
Post by crewdude48   » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:33 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

I am very much looking forward to any and every discussion we are going to have here.

Just one quick question.

Who the heck is Derick Chan?
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:43 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

crewdude48 wrote: Who the heck is Derick Chan?

Not me! :mrgreen: ;)
Post by kzt   » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:47 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Thanks.

crewdude48 wrote:Who the heck is Derick Chan?

He usually is called Duckk around here.
Post by crewdude48   » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:56 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

kzt wrote:Thanks.

crewdude48 wrote:Who the heck is Derick Chan?

He usually is called Duckk around here.

:oops: should have figured that from context :oops:
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:35 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

Thank you for the nice introduction and for setting up and using this forum. Having the opportunity of giving input into a project as this is great and I very much appreciate it.

I wish you guys luck with the movie project!
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:34 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Welcome to the forums, all of you. As is standard, first drinks on us longtimers. :D

Looking forward to hearing more about the movie project from you, and future discussions.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pilotus   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:01 am

pilotus
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Wow. we have waited. Welcome
Post by pushmar   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:01 pm

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

Oh boy, have you guys got a Big Job ahead of you!
We (or, at least I) think I can understand the constraints in creating a film from a full-length novel.
I'm pleased you guys want to be true to the characters and "tenets and scientific underpinnings in the Honorverse." Thank you!
Post by BobG   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 am

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Hi, folks from Evergreen Studios.

We do appreciate your interacting with us and listening to our comments.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.

Return to Multimedia