Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

How do you like the new Nimitz?

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

How do you like this Nimitz?

1) NO! I could just Puke!
98%
2) YES! Who needs cute and cuddly!
2%

Total votes : 161

Re: How do you like the new Nimitz?
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

For me, the main problem is the protusions on his head now. 2 sets of ears, or a set of ears and a set of horns? and They just dont quite look proportioned right for his size. As a predator, he should have more flatter ears, to act as better sound detectors, rather than the conic type shape suggested in the image, which is the shape biology has given to herbivores.
Hutch wrote:
pokermind wrote: Well at least he ain't blue but, would you let your daughter bring this kitty home?

Poker

Well, I want to see the furred example, but I can work with the face--although I agree that is the "All your face is belong to us" look--I'd still like to see the friendly, cuddly face depiction before I comment further.

Remember folks, Nimitz may be described in human terms, but he is an ALIEN, evolved and shaped by a planet 500 light years from Earth, so the artist is trying to bring in that 'alien' look without (it is to be devoutly hoped) destroying the essence of treecat.

So (1) Fur him up and (2) Show the warm and cute face and I'll get back to you....
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pokermind   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Honor and Nimitz from new site http://tales-of-honor.com/honor-harrington/:

Ears and Horns a little friendlier looking but, not much. Again would you let your twelve year old daughter bring this kitty home? Fly this pose is almost sexual he's too big!

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

That is WAY too big for Nimitz and Treecats. He is often described as SITTING on Honor's shoulder. (ONE shoulder). That thing isn't going to sit on a human shoulder either becasue of its size (with or without a tail dangleing down the back or "flow down into her lap") or because of the weight of something that size.
I have a 20lb housecat that is ok on my shoulder if I'm sitting down. He doen't do balance and sit so well if I am standing up.
Nimitz's species evolved on a planet with a relatively heavy gravity for normal (generic, average) humans. Unless this one could dam well glide on Sphinx if he launched himself out of a tree (because he were so light vs overall size), Honor isn't going to carry him. That looks almost the size of 3/4 grown mountain lion.
It is supposed to be a CAT. A furry, cuddly looking CAT that can sit on a person's shoulder and ride that sholder when they are walking. Having six legs isn't the problem, its the overall weight and size of what that picture seems to show.
Post by Kendareru   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:41 am

Kendareru
Ensign

I'm not sure what that is, but it's not a treecat as we know them. Unless of course Honor is playing a part in a multiverse where they evolved differently?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The question has always stood:
Is Vartra setting his weapons down, or is he picking them up?
It is my belief he is weighing the options between setting them down in acceptance of peace and keeping them on hand to fight for independence.
Post by SWM   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:47 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:That is WAY too big for Nimitz and Treecats. He is often described as SITTING on Honor's shoulder. (ONE shoulder).

David said a long time ago that "sitting on Honor's shoulder" means that most of Nimitz's body is actually hanging down Honor's back. It does not mean the entire body, nor even most of the weight, is resting on top of the shoulder.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Kendareru   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Kendareru
Ensign

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The question has always stood:
Is Vartra setting his weapons down, or is he picking them up?
It is my belief he is weighing the options between setting them down in acceptance of peace and keeping them on hand to fight for independence.
Post by biochem   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:09 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Nimitz is supposed to be little, cuddly and cute!! So that people are surprised when he turns into a buzzsaw. No one is going to be surprised when this thing attacks, they'll wonder why it hadn't happened sooner! And forget saving the protector at dinner. Security would never allow it in!
Post by biochem   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Think Puss and boots

Little cute and cuddly but a deadly surprise when in action.
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:58 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

SWM wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:That is WAY too big for Nimitz and Treecats. He is often described as SITTING on Honor's shoulder. (ONE shoulder).

David said a long time ago that "sitting on Honor's shoulder" means that most of Nimitz's body is actually hanging down Honor's back. It does not mean the entire body, nor even most of the weight, is resting on top of the shoulder.

Let me get this straight... from this post and the one in the other thread, you think Nimitz, as depicted in the art, is the right size, correct?

Can you tell me how you can reconcile about 9-10 kilos (20.25 - 22.5 pounds) of weight into something that size coming from a heavy-grav world that would require a denser bone structure and denser musculature? Not to mention all the textev of Nimitz sitting in a high chair at the dinner table, and all the textev of Nimitz lying on Honor's lap.

I've known regular housecats that weigh about the same, and they are nowhere near that size, and they came from a 1G grav well.

He's too big. Period. Full stop.

Edit: And if Hipper was of comparable size, he wouldn't have just knocked Rachael onto her butt. He would have flattened her.
Post by pokermind   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:35 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Mxx-Q check out tRMN site https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=171925089508543 discussion of pics said they could not use Bu-Nine stuff because it would cost money so they have to be different. Look for Lester Tourville pic to get right thread.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to Multimedia