Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

How do you like the new Nimitz?

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

How do you like this Nimitz?

1) NO! I could just Puke!
98%
2) YES! Who needs cute and cuddly!
2%

Total votes : 161

Re: How do you like the new Nimitz?
Post by clancy688   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:59 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

crewdude48 wrote:If Nimitz looked like that, Benjamin's armsmen would have freaked out over letting him into that first dinner.

Absolutely no comparison to Allison Harrington's reaction when Honor as a child brought Nimitz back home for the first time. Sheer apoplexy would have carried her off. :D
Post by Star Knight   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:25 am

Star Knight
Commodore

clancy688 wrote: But where's Nimitz and what's this crossover between the Silver Surfer and Cerberus doing on her shoulder? I don't know what it's supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it's not canon... ^^
Well, in Mass Effect those creatures are called Husks and you are supposed to shoot them once and then at least 46 times more.
Post by WLBjork   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:09 am

WLBjork
Commander

Argh! My eyes! Brain bleach!

The colouration is probably what drives this reaction.

Get the colour right, and I think it will be an improvement although those spikes on the back and that scale effect on the tail still feel wrong to me.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:25 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

From previous discussions I've assumed that RFC had a six legged large domestic cat as his model. My mind view has been more on the arboreal carnivorous hunter mode as we have tiger quolls living in our area.

http://www.wildlife.org.au/wildlife/spe ... quoll.html
Post by namelessfly   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:04 am

namelessfly

May be the Stae Security Goons shaved Nimitz which explains why he isso pissed off?
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:46 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

OK, I saw this at home a 5:30am, and didn't immediately post, but drove into work and gave it some thought.

OK, three major things:

Honor: I can work with that depiction, and apparently we're going to have to get used to that silver and black apparel, at least when she is not on the deck of a ship.

Gun: Like what was said by others before, probably not canon, but for a cover you need something that will catch attention, and a gun with a lot of bells and whistles does so. Again, I can live with this.

Nimitz: I can live with the face with some work--remember, for all the descriptions of what he looks like, Nimitz is An ALIEN Being that evolved on an Earth-like planet 350+ light years from us--so similar is not the same-and I think this is what the artist was trying to show.

However...

The coloration is obviously wrong, since the treecats are an arboreal species, and would blend in with the trees and forests that they make their home. And his coloration is mentioned often enough in the books.

I was more upset with the tail--an arboreal creature will have a much more flexible tail for moving and living in trees (see some of the smaller species of monkeys for an example), while this one looks a lot more reptilian and less flexible for a forest canopy dweller.

All told, it would not be a bad first effort from someone who has never read the canon and was given a very brief description of Nimitz.

I wonder if RFC or anyone from BuNine has provided a few words from canon to the artists for 'guidance' on these drawings. Just a random thought.

IMHO as always. YMMV.
Last edited by Hutch on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Greentea   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:36 am

Greentea
Commander

crewdude48 wrote:
If Nimitz looked like that, Benjamin's armsmen would have freaked out over letting him into that first dinner.

I agree. Every description of the tree cats describes them as being incredibly cute and cuddly, so cute and cuddly that you can't believe they are intelligent and dangerous until they show you that they are. Nimitz should look cute, cuddly and furry, which makes his six-bladed buzz-saw mode all the more surprising. Nimitz falls into the killer bunny trope http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillerRabbit (caution TV Tropes is an internet black hole). Unbelievably cute, right until the moment when he isn't.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:37 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Telra wrote:Actually this i can understand
1st) this is a comic, stuff like this i can live with and given her heavy-g genome, thinking about that gun as not a pistol but maybe an equivalent of SMG would be plausible.

Size wasn´t the only bad part. Although i can´t agree with you on that either, that´s a freakin >3kg weapon, held like that? Not to mention she has several kg of supposed treecat on that shoulder as well... :roll:

However, please try to tell me what sort of weapon it is from any of the stories?
3 barrel plasma weapon? :lol:

And since you mentioned it, heavy-G genome? With narrow arms and waist? And fairly thin overall?
Not to mention the little detail of prolong together with hyperboobs? :mrgreen:

I would say a combination of hyper and a window thats not clear but 'hecagonal?'

Good try at excusing poor artwork, but that doesn´t work unless you have some exceptionally weird windows.
And i would really enjoy seeing what whoever made a window like that was smoking at the time.

If Nimitz looked like that, Benjamin's armsmen would have freaked out over letting him into that first dinner.

I wouldn´t be surprised by "shoot on sight" orders against something like that.

But where's Nimitz and what's this crossover between the Silver Surfer and Cerberus doing on her shoulder? I don't know what it's supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it's not canon... ^^

No kidding! Even just taken outside of canon, that "thing" looks BAD. Looks like something out of a failed horror game.

I mean, "cream and gray" colour wasn´t it?
That thing is BLUE!

Lol, add wings and it´s a hellspawn Pegasi... :mrgreen:
Post by biochem   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:41 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

I hope that Nimitz is wearing his skinsuit in this pict.
Post by HungryKing   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:03 am

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

Ok let us go down the list:
1 silken cream furred, countershaded, with raccoon like ringing on tail, optional wolverine like stripping, green eyes. Silver Fuzzy Wuzzy, with intradermal armour, spikes and silver eyes

2 felinoid head. Monster cross between a monkey and those horrid ultra persians some of use yanks have bred to suffer in the name of perfection

3 six legged weasel-like body. Those hind legs belong on a goat

4 prehinsile tail unexpectedly wide with fur only on top, generally held rolled in. It may have the rolled in part...

I'd declare this must be skinsuited nimitz, were it not for the fact that there is no face plate.

Return to Multimedia