Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Do you like the Illustrated Novel Space Ships?

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

Do you like the Graphic Novel's Space Ships?

1) Yes, I like the fins.
15%
2) No, I prefer canon ships with impellers.
85%

Total votes : 65

Do you like the Illustrated Novel Space Ships?
Post by pokermind   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:58 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Detail showing ships from Graphic Novels:

Compare to canon like ships in this fan video showing impellers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxOfwj294yU

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Re: Do you like the Illustrated Novel Space Ships?
Post by HungryKing   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 am

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

I can't tell, are those really fins or just really harsh lighting, or even a dropping out of warp distortion, star trek style. I will say that the hull flares a bit much for warships, and the for hammerhead looks too much like a payload bay for a missile.
Post by Werrf   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:15 am

Werrf
Vice Admiral

Well, obviously I prefer the canonical ships or I wouldn't be here, but I can understand the need/desire to come up with something different for the films. After all, the canonical ships are hard to tell apart even between types, let alone classes.

I don't even mind the fins, as long as they appear to serve some practical purpose. So while I prefer the canon ships, I don't mind the Evergreen designs too much. Though they do need to ditch the thrusters in favour of a wedge.
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:56 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

The comic concept ships look somewhat cool - but the original impeller design is no end cooler.

The reason is: David's original design follows an internal logic. Everything fits together.

David's ships are kinda a Levi 501. They are the way they are because form follows function.

The comic design is kinda like a pair of jeans with lots of stickers and hearts and fluff added to them. Some people like that. But really - what's the point? And would YOU want to walk around in them?
Sure - they are somewhat cool since they are still jeans. But they would be so much better without the added nonsense.

Werrf wrote:Well, obviously I prefer the canonical ships or I wouldn't be here, but I can understand the need/desire to come up with something different for the films. After all, the canonical ships are hard to tell apart even between types, let alone classes.

I don't even mind the fins, as long as they appear to serve some practical purpose. So while I prefer the canon ships, I don't mind the Evergreen designs too much. Though they do need to ditch the thrusters in favour of a wedge.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:43 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

You forgot choice 3:

I don't care at all.

HTM

Bruno Behrends wrote:The comic concept ships look somewhat cool - but the original impeller design is no end cooler.

The reason is: David's original design follows an internal logic. Everything fits together.

David's ships are kinda a Levi 501. They are the way they are because form follows function.

The comic design is kinda like a pair of jeans with lots of stickers and hearts and fluff added to them. Some people like that. But really - what's the point? And would YOU want to walk around in them?
Sure - they are somewhat cool since they are still jeans. But they would be so much better without the added nonsense.

Werrf wrote:Well, obviously I prefer the canonical ships or I wouldn't be here, but I can understand the need/desire to come up with something different for the films. After all, the canonical ships are hard to tell apart even between types, let alone classes.

Post by Uroboros   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

They're neat, but they just seem... overly busy. I think you can make the concept cool without sacrificing the character of the ships. I think that people who make science fiction movies tend to forget the fact that you don't need to hit fans over the head with a sledgehammer for them to understand a concept. While some cueing is needed, it's not needed to the point that it is at currenly. And, to be honest, your average person just isn't that interested in sci-fi unless it has the word Star at the front (and usually Wars at the end.)

However.

While I've grown to love Weber's ships, when I first saw the cover for On Basilik Station I almost immediately put it down, not without a few chuckles at the ship design. The only thing that made me actually start reading it was a distinct lack of options. And I'm glad I did.

It does need to be changed. As awesome as the ships are, some changes need to me made visually.
Post by Werrf   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

I've got to admit, it took me a while to start imagining the Honorverse ships canonically. I still have trouble with Battleships, and keep imagining a Narn warship from Babylon 5 rather than a really big battlecruiser/small dreadnought. While I now appreciate the designs for their simplicity, grace and grandeur, I can certainly appreciate the desire to modify them for a film audience.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:06 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Im not too sure about them. they look reasonably ok except for the giant thrusters, but they seem a bit long for the width, so they look fragile. IMO, they need a bit more beef to go with the sleek.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by clancy688   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:11 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

I realize that it's hard to bring the novel/canon design into a new medium, especially a graphic novel. And I realize that changes, even major changes have to be made to adjust.
But at the same time I don't like this design at all. It's just to generic, how space-ships are ALWAYS designed. Except the cylindrical design, there's nothing left of DW's impeller ships.
I obviously can't know how much thought they put into designing the ships they are, but the way they look totally not like ANY of DW's major novel design ideas, I'd be inclined to accuse them of taking the first design idea which came to their mind WITHOUT brainstorming how you could draw the ships so that they'd still be recoginzable as ships using DW's impeller-idea.
Or to make matters short: It looks to me as if they were lazy. That doesn't have to be the truth (and considering how much DW's always defending those guys, it probably isn't), but at least that's how it looks like to me.
I think in the movie thread alone we came up with a bazillion ideas on designing impeller ships for visual audiences of which at least a couple of thousands sounded feasible to me.
Post by Werrf   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:19 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

clancy688 wrote:But at the same time I don't like this design at all. It's just to generic, how space-ships are ALWAYS designed. Except the cylindrical design, there's nothing left of DW's impeller ships.

I must respectfully disagree - the generally cylindrical shape, broadside weapons bays, impeller rings fore and aft. Honestly, the canonical designs aren't that unusual - they're essentially rockets with flat ends. I pretty much imagined something very similar to this from the text descriptions before we started getting the illustrations and diagrams in the books.

Return to Multimedia