Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

How do you like this Uniform?

1) Not only no but hell no!
58%
2) Don't like it but I can live with it.
17%
3) Like it but prefer Bu Nine canon version.
22%
4) Love it!
3%

Total votes : 104

Re: How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?
Post by Star Knight   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Star Knight
Commodore

Uniform, what uniform? This thing doesnt look like a uniform at all. What about name tags, rank insignia, unit patches, decoration? I can accept that they didn’t want to use the ‘official’ RMN uniform but this… thing doesn’t look remotely credible.
I wonder what they want to sell with those pictures. Just ask yourself, does it say competent naval officer serving in future space navy in a well thought out universe?
Not even close. On that note, her assets – just ridiculous.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

There should be some way of identifying Rank. Even in a current new production DD for SEM there are a lot of people on a ship. Get up to SD and that in the thousands.
It doesn't need to be flashy but it does need to be there. Probably also a name tag. There would be a standard (general purpose) duty uniform with variations for Enlisted as well as Officers. Same for Dress uniform etc. Depending on what you are thinking about for a combat/field uniform you are looking at something like a skin suit (armored or unarmored) and particularly when you have the headpiece attached (so you can breath in compromised atmosphere and survive in vacuum) both the rank and name band are a really good idea.
Some type of work/utility coverall could also be appropriate though you are unlikely to see the Captain of a ship in one unless they were crawling around in places doing really detailed inspections. Same thing, rank where it can be seen.
The rank insignia doesn’t have to be bright metal or even bright pigment, just a subdued image stuck on will do though shipboard-non combat would probably be in a general duty uniform.

Why not just go with Cannon? That doen't actually give the various "creative" artists on staff a forum to display their imaginations and creativity at least as far as the uniforms go but it does provide provide a consistent link and feel to what people are going to look like.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Ok, the "creative" comment was snarky, but why not take a Cannon design and work out from there?

Functional looking is better. For the movie, someone is going to have to make a lot of sets of uniform clothing for a lot of actors operating in various situations. The uniforms give continuity and clues for what is going on.
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

Lord Skimper wrote:A uniform you wear on a ship doesn't have medals and awards on it that is your formal. Plus ribbons and things are for show only. Old fashioned and the current hos version looks like pajamas. No pockets, is that is useful?

Rank of course can be added, perhaps digitally and only when friendlies are around. The current uniform looks like it tries to do too much with too little options. An arm stripe single colour for a specific rank range or if you like operations shirt shoulder colour, command or engineering or ....

Fast recognition for those that know or need to know, to everyone else they look the same. Can't shoot the admiral when you don't know who the admiral is.

Heck this is well in the future, from the outside every uniform could look Identical but all service personnel could have a contact lens or eyeimplant ... That shows all rank virtually imposed. Can't shoot the Admiral when everyone looks the same. But when your eye implant / lens sees someone walking or working in front of you it let's you know exactly who you are looking at. Could be passive with an IRQ code, or active with encrypted signal. Could change for life scans, people in the wrong place, just figuring out who someone is.

40th century not 18th century.

Or you do without a whole load of completely unnecessary tech and spend your hardware budget on things that actually let you do things better, instead of pointless bells and whistles. Also, if you're in a position to shoot
the admiral, then you've already boarded their flagship and fought your way through it to the flag bridge. At that point the admiral is screwed regardless. If you want to hide who and where the admiral is, concentrate on stopping your enemy from identifying which ship is the flagship, so your enemy won't concentrate their missile salvos on it.
Post by pokermind   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:33 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Canon: official orthodoxy.
Cannon: large tube to shoot projectiles.

Poker :ugeek:

Dafmeister wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:A uniform you wear on a ship doesn't have medals and awards on it that is your formal. Plus ribbons and things are for show only. Old fashioned and the current hos version looks like pajamas. No pockets, is that is useful?

Rank of course can be added, perhaps digitally and only when friendlies are around. The current uniform looks like it tries to do too much with too little options. An arm stripe single colour for a specific rank range or if you like operations shirt shoulder colour, command or engineering or ....

Fast recognition for those that know or need to know, to everyone else they look the same. Can't shoot the admiral when you don't know who the admiral is.

Heck this is well in the future, from the outside every uniform could look Identical but all service personnel could have a contact lens or eyeimplant ... That shows all rank virtually imposed. Can't shoot the Admiral when everyone looks the same. But when your eye implant / lens sees someone walking or working in front of you it let's you know exactly who you are looking at. Could be passive with an IRQ code, or active with encrypted signal. Could change for life scans, people in the wrong place, just figuring out who someone is.

40th century not 18th century.

Or you do without a whole load of completely unnecessary tech and spend your hardware budget on things that actually let you do things better, instead of pointless bells and whistles. Also, if you're in a position to shoot
the admiral, then you've already boarded their flagship and fought your way through it to the flag bridge. At that point the admiral is screwed regardless. If you want to hide who and where the admiral is, concentrate on stopping your enemy from identifying which ship is the flagship, so your enemy won't concentrate their missile salvos on it.
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Werrf   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

I find it particularly interesting that the excuse for not using the canon uniforms was "it's a creative process", then they give us a uniform that looks like it was ripped off from Mass Effect. Really creative, there!
Post by Star Knight   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Star Knight
Commodore

nah, Mass Effects uniforms acutally look like uniforms for the most part.
My Shepard would never wear this thing.
Post by Werrf   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

Star Knight wrote:nah, Mass Effects uniforms acutally look like uniforms for the most part.

I was thinking of Liara's garb from Lair of the Shadow Broker onwards.
Post by Star Knight   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:53 pm

Star Knight
Commodore

Werrf wrote:
Star Knight wrote:nah, Mass Effects uniforms acutally look like uniforms for the most part.

Im not sure Asari even have uniforms :? ;)
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:53 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Werrf wrote:

I wouldn't know, I only played the first one once, and never touched it again.

Return to Multimedia