Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

How do you like this Uniform?

1) Not only no but hell no!
58%
2) Don't like it but I can live with it.
17%
3) Like it but prefer Bu Nine canon version.
22%
4) Love it!
3%

Total votes : 104

Re: How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?
Post by Direwolf18   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Werrf wrote:
Star Knight wrote:nah, Mass Effects uniforms acutally look like uniforms for the most part.
My Shepard would never wear this thing.

I was thinking of Liara's garb from Lair of the Shadow Broker onwards.

Your right there is a noticeable resemblance. This does feel very Mass Effecty. I happened to really enjoy those games (except the ending of 3 but that's a whole different story). That was civilian clothing however, not a military uniform. I want to like this I REALLY do, and I want to like the movie but I am getting that bad feeling right that now. Like the 1977 animated Hobbit bad feeling. Far to soon to judge but I am... nervous.
Post by waddles for desert   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:29 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

It reminds me of something the Harkonnens wore in the movie Dune (not the miniseries).

I, also, would vote Dislike, but Do Like Bu9 version if there was a button for that.
Post by RHWoodman   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:34 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

The uniform isn't really a uniform. It's bad fashion. As a uniform, it's awful. Really. Truly. Awful.
:cry:
Post by filbert   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:58 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

I went with "Hell no."

It's the Honorverse. It's military science fiction, with a strong nautical flavor.

The uniforms should look like military uniforms, not unitards.
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

Option one for me - what load of bollocks! :evil:

Mike.
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

I have a simple suggestion.
Use the artwork to create a replica and see if it can be worn. The pauldron-like things alone would be a problem, cutting down on the range of motion available for the arms whilst the belt-buckle thing looks like it is a streamlined version of the device worn by Zam Wessel and may make the belt rather difficult to adjust for different girths.
Show us a picture of someone in one of those things along with notes on how wearable it is and I'll give a yay/nay to it.
Until then, I couldn't possibly comment.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by pokermind   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Fifty six of us divided by two thousand seven hundred and eighty eight registered members is (56/2788x100=) two percent of us (2%). I hope more vote. Here's the opinion of younger fan from FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/TRMN.ORG/ Topic I'm curious.

I'm curious, what exactly is that in the teaser image? Does anyone know?
Looks sort of like an interpretation of a wormhole junction. If so, it looks amazing.

Honestly, I'm glad this series is getting some attention. I don't think enough younger people (people my age, teens, young adult) read the main series and even though it might cause this movie is/books are better divide, its still nice to see my favorite sci-fi series getting much more love then some of the great sci-fi I've read.

This young person I know is a registered member here.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:49 pm

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Where is the 'I'm too horrified/disturbed by the face in Picture #2 to look at the uniform' option?
Post by 61Cygni   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:00 pm

61Cygni
Commander

filbert wrote:I went with "Hell no."

It's the Honorverse. It's military science fiction, with a strong nautical flavor.

The uniforms should look like military uniforms, not unitards.

Voted the same and agree with you. I always envision the uniforms as being similiar to current RN and USN uniforms, minus the necktie of course. Sure, that's not very "future techy", but it's very relatable and quite appropriate given the Age Of Sail/wet navy analog in the Honorverse. I don't like everything being "future techy" just because it's SF, a common problem in SF movies and TV shows.

Honor at the start of OBS is supposed to be in what the USN calls Service Dress. Where at least are the rank arm stripes? Her ribbons? The white beret? Would a beret even look good with that thing she has on? And yeah, the RMN colors are black with gold trim for crying out loud.
Re: How do you Like the Illustrated Novel Uniform?
Post by Werrf   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

61Cygni wrote:Sure, that's not very "future techy", but it's very relatable and quite appropriate given the Age Of Sail/wet navy analog in the Honorverse. I don't like everything being "future techy" just because it's SF, a common problem in SF movies and TV shows.

Future techy is fine, but it should be in the materials used and the details of the uniform, not in the design or cut. My guideline is the image of the TEC uniform here - very traditional, old-fashioned cut, but with influences of advanced tech in the paneling of the trousers and boots. One thing that the history of sci-fi has taught us is that trying to predict fashion trends is generally disastrous and pointless - much better to use slightly modified versions of contemporary style, at least that way it looks real.

Return to Multimedia