Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

How do you like this Uniform?

1) Not only no but hell no!
58%
2) Don't like it but I can live with it.
17%
3) Like it but prefer Bu Nine canon version.
22%
4) Love it!
3%

Total votes : 104

Re: How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?
Post by csilkenat   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:48 am

csilkenat
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

As far as the ME universe uniforms go, the formal Alliance uniform with a minimal color pallet swap should really go well in the current universe. Image

Although, thinking about it that would work for GSN uniforms with minimal alterations.

With the current style. NOOOOOO!!!!!! This looks like a tweenage sci-fantasy lovers wet dream. That abomination has no place in this universe of at least relatively Newtonian physics, and what is not is mostly consistent.

Edit.
Ok, calmed down a little bit, this abomination could very well be a good casual outfit for her, one of about four that she would need.
1. Alliance inspired or Bu9 dress uniform
2. Combat skinsuit, take a RL spacesuit and thin it down/strip off its external ports and hardware
3. Informal/nonmillitary clothes, this thing
4. Shipboard uniform
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:44 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

Oh! This looks cool!

csilkenat wrote:As far as the ME universe uniforms go, the formal Alliance uniform with a minimal color pallet swap should really go well in the current universe. Image

Although, thinking about it that would work for GSN uniforms with minimal alterations.

With the current style. NOOOOOO!!!!!! This looks like a tweenage sci-fantasy lovers wet dream. That abomination has no place in this universe of at least relatively Newtonian physics, and what is not is mostly consistent.

Edit.
Ok, calmed down a little bit, this abomination could very well be a good casual outfit for her, one of about four that she would need.
1. Alliance inspired or Bu9 dress uniform
2. Combat skinsuit, take a RL spacesuit and thin it down/strip off its external ports and hardware
3. Informal/nonmillitary clothes, this thing
4. Shipboard uniform
Post by pokermind   » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:36 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Back to the uniforms under discusson how we like the Illustrated Novel Uniform.

Two views of the Illustrated Novel RMN Uniform

Official Bu Nine uniform to contrast:

Feel free to comment,

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by hvb   » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Luckily, as #2, & #3, & the between-covers content, aren't locked, I hope the first page will be Honor arriving on Hephaesus in the former (dare I write) Travesty, immediately heading to her cabin, and changing to the latter!

Would mean they would have to redo anything they have for between the covers, as well as covers #2 & #3, but hey, that ain't locked, so the situation could still be recoverable.
(Now to wait and see if the horse will indeed sing. ...)

I voted Hell, No; but I do like the BuNine version (looks a lot like my take on canon).

pokermind wrote:Back to the uniforms under discusson how we like the Illustrated Novel Uniform.
[snip]
Official Bu Nine uniform to contrast:

Feel free to comment,

Poker
Post by civserv   » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:39 pm

civserv
Ensign

Use the Bu9 uniform.
Post by Bill Woods   » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

pokermind wrote:Well let's see how we like the Illustrated Novel Uniform.

That belt buckle looks really uncomfortable if she wants to bend forward at the waist.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Caseyorourke   » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Caseyorourke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I too voted HELL NO!!!!!!

Looking at the second picture, it looks line Honor is wearing a skirt, which we know is not in fashion on Manticore.

Second to those who are saying that ribbons would not be worn on a shipboard duty uniform. The only uniform that does not require the wearing of your ribbons is the utility uniform (fatigues, BDUs, ACUs, ABUs, NWU's, MCCUUs and Multicams). If a soldier/sailor is wearing their class A's, your ribbons are required and optional if you skip the dress coat and wear the lighter shirts. So unless Honor chooses to wear a utility uniform (why should she, she's an admiral and she won't be doing grunt work) she would probably be wearing her awards, after all she earned them.

If you remember when the cadets boarded HMS Hexapuma, they noted that Ginger was wearing her ribbons (especially the Osterman Cross), the blood stripe (wounded in battle) and the stripe for being mentioned in dispatches.
Post by kzt   » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:49 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

If I was the artist (or the guy paying the artist) I might well want to simplify the uniform to reduce time it takes to do each panel. I can understand that. That doesn't require quite this sort of change.
Post by Yow   » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:20 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

I love the art workout but as for one who is in the military that would be the WORSE uniform in my seabag (I would hope so anyway). I think I would have to stuff it in the bottom of my locker and find excuses not to wear it. "Oh you need someone to stand your duty on the mid watch? No problem".

I have also experienced my fair share of WTF were they thinking here in our own universe. Especially when they issued us Utilities and NWUs. I feel bad for our ladies in uniform, their dress uniforms are the worse. Though it doesn't look too bad.

I prefer the description that is given in the books and BuNine's version (quite what I had Imagined, but I was way off on the Grayson Navy's uniform). All in all I have learned to separate and enjoy for their own sake what I read both in book and graphic novels and film media. So I am pretty sure I will enjoy them all no matter what, especially as I will be in my coveralls on the mid watch. Enjoy standing in the dog and pony show shipmates.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by bunyipbelle   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:38 am

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

The shoulders of the uniform should be padded for Nimitz to sit on. That is very important.

Return to Multimedia