Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

How do you like this Uniform?

1) Not only no but hell no!
58%
2) Don't like it but I can live with it.
17%
3) Like it but prefer Bu Nine canon version.
22%
4) Love it!
3%

Total votes : 104

Re: How do you Like the Illustrated Novel Uniform?
Post by 61Cygni   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:34 pm

61Cygni
Commander

Werrf wrote:Future techy is fine, but it should be in the materials used and the details of the uniform, not in the design or cut. My guideline is the image of the TEC uniform here - very traditional, old-fashioned cut, but with influences of advanced tech in the paneling of the trousers and boots. One thing that the history of sci-fi has taught us is that trying to predict fashion trends is generally disastrous and pointless - much better to use slightly modified versions of contemporary style, at least that way it looks real.

Oh yeah, I agree with that too. You can say that the material can stop light pulser fire, and the fit can be more form-fitting (like with BuNine's design), but I want the Honorverse uniforms to look like contemporary naval uniforms, epecially with the movie. I hope the designers DON'T go with some goofy future techy look for the uniforms, but I fear that they will. Or worse, try to mimic Star Trek and go with mulitple colors--ugh, no! I say it would be best for the movie to be more grounded in the military world than the SF world.
Re: How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?
Post by lordcptncmdr   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:55 pm

lordcptncmdr
Midshipman

The uniform is the least of my worries. Does anyone spy that ship in the background of pic#1. If it is a pinnace, thats fine i can live with that, but if it is a warship, why the hell does it have a "wing"? I know DW said they would take some liberties with the ship designs but this is just starting to smell of bad sci fi.
back to uniforms if these artists want some inspiration look at the battlestar galatica reboot. I loved their uniforms. why, because they were uniforms and not flashy costumes.
Post by Werrf   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

lordcptncmdr wrote:If it is a pinnace, thats fine i can live with that, but if it is a warship, why the hell does it have a "wing"?

Actually, that's one of the parts I have less of a problem with - those 'wings' could easily be radiator fins, attitude thruster mounts, tractor mounts, small craft davits...there's plenty of uses for a structure extending beyond the hull.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:51 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Werrf wrote:
lordcptncmdr wrote:If it is a pinnace, thats fine i can live with that, but if it is a warship, why the hell does it have a "wing"?

Actually, that's one of the parts I have less of a problem with - those 'wings' could easily be radiator fins, attitude thruster mounts, tractor mounts, small craft davits...there's plenty of uses for a structure extending beyond the hull.

I mentioned waaaaaaay back at the beginning of the stickied thread that they could be passed off as gravitic sensor blades, which are pretty fin-like (albeit much smaller and at the center of the broadsides). A quick shot of one getting blown off, and a damage report following, saying, "We just lost the port gravitic sensor array." should be sufficient to get people's minds - for a moment at least - off the idea that they're fins.
Post by Northstar   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

waddles for desert wrote:It reminds me of something the Harkonnens wore in the movie Dune (not the miniseries).

I, also, would vote Dislike, but Do Like Bu9 version if there was a button for that.

Yes and yes, please. I laughed at the Dune observation. True. Unfortunate, but true. :? :P

And I also wish for a 'Like the Bu9' option. :D

Yes I scatter emoticons all over. sub-commentary, I guess. ;)
Post by Northstar   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:54 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

TheGlyphstone wrote:Where is the 'I'm too horrified/disturbed by the face in Picture #2 to look at the uniform' option?

The posture in it reminds me of angels in Christmas scenes. Verrrry weird... or Bride with bouquet... even weirder.
Post by HungryKing   » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:59 pm

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

I don't like the look, unless that is supposed to be a skinsuit, without the helmet. A bit of artistic liberty and the RMN's tradition of giving the captain of a hyper capable command an immediately identifiable modification to their uniform, the white beret, could mean that the captain's skinsuit has white paneling against a black background, and no rank insignia as the suit serves as the insignia. Of course this leaves the question of what the other officers wear. The various enlisted would probably have their rate's color over black or white, black over their rate's color, black edged with the rate color over white, but the line officers, aside from some of the engineers, have no color association. I suppose the best answer would be for enlisted, and NCOs to have white edged with rate color, over white detailed with their rate color, WOs to have white edged with rate color, over white with silver detailing, officers to have white edged with branch color over white detailed with black, with line officers using black as their branch color.
Post by pokermind   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:07 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Space suits AKA skinsuits are white for a reason to reflect radiation and thus not cook the wearer. Black would cook the wearer.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:11 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

#1 is fine as clothing, not so much as a uniform. Body and face seem ok.

#2 has issues even as clothing. The torso looks odd (like a pillow stuffed in a coat) and the huge belt thing makes me wonder how you sit. Face is ok.
Post by HungryKing   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:21 am

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

Um, no. Sorry. Not quite correct. Humans generate enough heat to cook themsleves. One of the theoretical ironies of vacuum is that there are places where a human, assuming they don't die from other factors, will die of hyperthermia, and then over a period of weeks their corpse will freeze.

pokermind wrote:Space suits AKA skinsuits are white for a reason to reflect radiation and thus not cook the wearer. Black would cook the wearer.

Poker

Return to Multimedia