Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.

How do you like this Uniform?

1) Not only no but hell no!
58%
2) Don't like it but I can live with it.
17%
3) Like it but prefer Bu Nine canon version.
22%
4) Love it!
3%

Total votes : 104

Re: How do you Like the Illustrted Novel Uniform?
Post by Star Knight   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:45 am

Star Knight
Commodore

bunyipbelle wrote:The shoulders of the uniform should be padded for Nimitz to sit on. That is very important.

You dont want to have the new Nimitz on anyones shoulders.
Post by Borealis   » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Borealis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I don't at all care for the uniforms on the covers, and prefer the Bu9 version. However, someone early on made the comment that the black and gold Bu9 version is a dress uniform.

Using today's navy as an example, officers and senior enlisted normally wear khaki's and junior enlisted wear that black and blue camouflaged working uniform. It's a case of form follows function. Supervisors need to be immediately identifiable and don't have to worry about getting dirty. Worker bees have to have something durable where it doesn't matter if you get hydraulic fluid (or the Honorverse equivalent) all over it.

Having said that, all uniforms (officer and enlisted) do wear rank insignia and name tags and the cover outfit doesn't have either.

I could tolerate the cover uniform if they add rank insignia and nametags, do something about that ridiculous belt buckle, and ditch the tails. Again, make it at least so form follows function.
How do you Like the Illustrated Novel Uniform?
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

::a Naughty Moose replies::
You forgot the "don't care" option.

Naughty Moose, too nearsighted to notice any differences

pokermind wrote:Well let's see how we like the Illustrated Novel Uniform.

[snip - naughty moose]

Feel free to comment,

Poker

Post by Dca   » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:12 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

Not sure if a skinsuit is a "uniform" in this sense, or if this should be in a separate topic. I really don't like the armored graphic. It looks too ... armored. I thought the fabric itself was supposed to be penetration-resistant.

I was picturing something a lot more like the BioSuit:
http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oce/appel/a ... esuit.html
http://mvl.mit.edu/EVA/biosuit/
Post by BrightSoul   » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:45 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

A Hint for our friends at Evergreen.

Paying attention to the little details keeps geeks interested. Things like rank insignia, patches, the White Beret are those kinds of details. Look to the kind of effort put into the LoTR properties for examples. Mr. Weber's work has tons of those little details that your new fans will pickup on as the series continues and the old fans will love. Not only that but think about all the RMN ship patches you could sell. :ugeek:

The cut and style of the uniform doesn't bother me if the more important details are there. Timeless design keeps a property relevant longer, this seems trendy. Like many others I suggest a little more tip of the hat to the age of sail, not the hats of course.
Post by Jeroswen   » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Jeroswen
Lieutenant Commander

BrightSoul wrote:A Hint for our friends at Evergreen.

Paying attention to the little details keeps geeks interested. Things like rank insignia, patches, the White Beret are those kinds of details. Look to the kind of effort put into the LoTR properties for examples. Mr. Weber's work has tons of those little details that your new fans will pickup on as the series continues and the old fans will love. Not only that but think about all the RMN ship patches you could sell. :ugeek:

The cut and style of the uniform doesn't bother me if the more important details are there. Timeless design keeps a property relevant longer, this seems trendy. Like many others I suggest a little more tip of the hat to the age of sail, not the hats of course.

I agree that the uniform must look like a uniform. I don't know how many times my wife, a decidedly non-geek, has commented, "Do any of YOUR shows not have PJ's for uniforms?" When I asked her if it was the material of the uniform she replied "No, its the lack of rank, job classification, and name". Most people have a relative that is either serving or has served in the military. They know why its necessary to have those 3 critical items on a uniform, especially in the Navy where you don't have to contend with snipers.

I would like to add that I hope the dress uniform is put in the movie. The uniform should look really sharp and professional. It would be just another cue, albeit visual that she is a professional.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

With a Brother in the navy, and a long time sci fi fan, thats what always puts me off: the civilianishness of the so called military in the future. Cool looking uniforms are great. uniforms that are less bulky and protect pretty damn well, as described in the Honorverse are even better. But the uniform designs that have no insignia, rank, or epaullettes, or any way to show rank, is offputting. You need to be able to tell who you have to take orders from, and a lack of insignia prevents this.

Jeroswen wrote:
BrightSoul wrote:A Hint for our friends at Evergreen.

I agree that the uniform must look like a uniform. I don't know how many times my wife, a decidedly non-geek, has commented, "Do any of YOUR shows not have PJ's for uniforms?" When I asked her if it was the material of the uniform she replied "No, its the lack of rank, job classification, and name". Most people have a relative that is either serving or has served in the military. They know why its necessary to have those 3 critical items on a uniform, especially in the Navy where you don't have to contend with snipers.

I would like to add that I hope the dress uniform is put in the movie. The uniform should look really sharp and professional. It would be just another cue, albeit visual that she is a professional.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pushmar   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:25 pm

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

Apparently, "Working with the Korean studio has been challenging since none of the artists speak English."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=50341

That may explain a lot of discrepancies between the artwork and our expectations.
Post by MaxxQ   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:17 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

pushmar wrote:Apparently, "Working with the Korean studio has been challenging since none of the artists speak English."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=50341

That may explain a lot of discrepancies between the artwork and our expectations.

Lots of WIP and concept art in the video there. Some of it looked decent, but I can see where some people are going to go ballistic over it. Especially the WHJ art.
Post by pokermind   » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:22 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

from http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50341

Written by Top Cow President Matt Hawkins, the series follows genetically engineered spaceship captain Honor Harrington leading her crew on action-packed adventures. This series is deep military sci-fi; set 2,000 years in the future, where mankind has colonized much of the universe.

Hawkins spoke with CBR News about the exciting new series, discussing his discovery of the original Weber novels, what drew him to Honor Harrington and his and Top Cow's potential involvement in the feature film.

Hmm I bet David Weber loved that. One hopes the blue scary Nimitz etc stay in Korea least we see fans with pitch forks and torches ;)

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to Multimedia