Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

sequel or prequel?

Talk about the time traveling Kanga invasion.
sequel or prequel?
Post by Henry Brown   » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Greenville NC

If the series was to be continued, would you prefer a sequel that covers events after AT, or a prequel covering humanity's war against the Kangas?
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:50 pm

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:08 pm

Prequel seems like it'd be much richer in terms of story potential. Unless a new, bigger and badder enemy appears, the post-AT narrative is pretty solidly laid out already...humanity reverse-engineers the Troll ship, obliterates the Kanga scouts, goes out and crushes the Kangas before they become a threat, Thuselas never exist except in Milla+Dick's descendants (easily rendered extinct by one generation being only male children).

Pre-AT, though, gives us the First Kanga War, Milla's adventures as a young hotshot pilot, all sorts of interesting stuff to explore.
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by John Prigent   » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Posts: 570
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:05 am
Location: Sussex, England

I'd like both please!

Cheers

John
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by Henry Brown   » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:58 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Greenville NC

TheGlyphstone wrote:Prequel seems like it'd be much richer in terms of story potential. Unless a new, bigger and badder enemy appears, the post-AT narrative is pretty solidly laid out already...humanity reverse-engineers the Troll ship, obliterates the Kanga scouts, goes out and crushes the Kangas before they become a threat, Thuselas never exist except in Milla+Dick's descendants (easily rendered extinct by one generation being only male children).

Pre-AT, though, gives us the First Kanga War, Milla's adventures as a young hotshot pilot, all sorts of interesting stuff to explore.


I agree. A prior example would be the way "Path of the Fury" was expanded into "In Fury Born." Almost all the added stuff was backstory to the original novel.
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:26 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5132
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

TheGlyphstone wrote:Prequel seems like it'd be much richer in terms of story potential. Unless a new, bigger and badder enemy appears, the post-AT narrative is pretty solidly laid out already...humanity reverse-engineers the Troll ship, obliterates the Kanga scouts, goes out and crushes the Kangas before they become a threat, Thuselas never exist except in Milla+Dick's descendants (easily rendered extinct by one generation being only male children).

Pre-AT, though, gives us the First Kanga War, Milla's adventures as a young hotshot pilot, all sorts of interesting stuff to explore.
Pretty much my thinking.

The Kangas from the original time line won't be able to pull together another force to try wiping out humanity in the past; so unlikely for advanced tech enemies to show up before expected. (And if they did pull together such a force it probably wouldn't have the bad luck that dropped it around the year 2000; it's succeed in ending up back in pre-history of that timeline's humanity and wipe out the earth without any fuss. Boring story)

Any conflict in the post AT timeline would seem to be research or socio-political; not military. (Unless RFC went into Clancy territory with a conventional war or two over access to the technology).


But Pre-AT gives plenty of room for the desperate original timeline struggles with first Kanga contact; or the mid/late-war aspects with Milla. Maybe cover some analog to the Battle of the Bulge; the Kangas' last major (conventional) effort to reverse the tide of the war.
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by biochem   » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: USA

I tend to prefer a sequel. With a prequel I already know how it is going to turn out, but with a sequel there are so many possibilities.
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:08 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Posts: 1722
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:39 am
Location: South Carolina

biochem wrote:I tend to prefer a sequel. With a prequel I already know how it is going to turn out, but with a sequel there are so many possibilities.



Actually, there are plans for both. Heck, there are plans for 2 sequels to In Fury Born, for that matter. Oh, and also at least 1 sequel and a couple of "in the midst of things" prequels for The Excalibur Option. Ummmm, and now that I think about it, there are the two Dahak sequels I have plotted out. . . .

The problem, of course, being that there is only one of me, I am mortal, and I am also a father with 3 children between the ages of 11 & 12m plus a wife who is going to have her 4th spinal surgery in 18 months on February 7th.

Oh, and I have a few other books I'm committed to write, too. :lol:


"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by kbus888   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:26 am

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1980
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

=2014-01-08=
Hi RFC

Take care of yourself.

We all care for you.

R
.

runsforcelery wrote:
biochem wrote:I tend to prefer a sequel. With a prequel I already know how it is going to turn out, but with a sequel there are so many possibilities.



Actually, there are plans for both. Heck, there are plans for 2 sequels to In Fury Born, for that matter. Oh, and also at least 1 sequel and a couple of "in the midst of things" prequels for The Excalibur Option. Ummmm, and now that I think about it, there are the two Dahak sequels I have plotted out. . . .

The problem, of course, being that there is only one of me, I am mortal, and I am also a father with 3 children between the ages of 11 & 12m plus a wife who is going to have her 4th spinal surgery in 18 months on February 7th.

Oh, and I have a few other books I'm committed to write, too. :lol:
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by Henry Brown   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 am

Henry Brown
Commodore

Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Greenville NC

runsforcelery wrote:Actually, there are plans for both. Heck, there are plans for 2 sequels to In Fury Born, for that matter. Oh, and also at least 1 sequel and a couple of "in the midst of things" prequels for The Excalibur Option. Ummmm, and now that I think about it, there are the two Dahak sequels I have plotted out. . . .

The problem, of course, being that there is only one of me, I am mortal, and I am also a father with 3 children between the ages of 11 & 12m plus a wife who is going to have her 4th spinal surgery in 18 months on February 7th.

Oh, and I have a few other books I'm committed to write, too. :lol:


The obvious answer is to clone yourself about a half a dozen times! :lol:

But on a more serious note, sorry to hear your wife has to have another surgery. Hope it goes well.
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by BobG   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Westford, MA

runsforcelery wrote:The problem, of course, being that there is only one of me, I am mortal, and I am also a father with 3 children between the ages of 11 & 12m plus a wife who is going to have her 4th spinal surgery in 18 months on February 7th.

Oh, no. My heart goes out to you guys. I hope she recovers quickly, and that she doesn't need to do this again.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Top

Return to Apocalypse Troll