Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

sequel or prequel?

Talk about the time traveling Kanga invasion.
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by iranuke   » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:36 am

iranuke
Commander

kbus888 wrote:=2014-01-16=
Hi Guys

?? Is there anyone here that would like a sequel to Apocalypse Troll ??

Just ask'n :lol:

R

Just answering, YES!
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:43 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

iranuke wrote:
Hi Guys

R

Just answering, YES!

Would be nice. I am not sure if reading about the build up prior to the kangas arriving would be interesting. Much better to have the story begin just enough prior to the kanga arrival to make any surprises truly poignant. Any required set ups might be in a short story or two included in an anthology.
Post by Bernd   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Bernd
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

iranuke wrote:
Hi Guys

R

Just answering, YES!

I would love to have it as I liked the original. Then again I have enjoyed all of MWW books except out of the dark. I tolerated that one and a sequel would not be on my list.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:31 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
biochem wrote:I tend to prefer a sequel. With a prequel I already know how it is going to turn out, but with a sequel there are so many possibilities.

Actually, there are plans for both. Heck, there are plans for 2 sequels to In Fury Born, for that matter. Oh, and also at least 1 sequel and a couple of "in the midst of things" prequels for The Excalibur Option. Ummmm, and now that I think about it, there are the two Dahak sequels I have plotted out. . . .

The problem, of course, being that there is only one of me, I am mortal, and I am also a father with 3 children between the ages of 11 & 12m plus a wife who is going to have her 4th spinal surgery in 18 months on February 7th.

Oh, and I have a few other books I'm committed to write, too. :lol:

Truly best wishes to SWMBO. Seems like it was just a few months ago that I met your whole lovely group at DFWCon, but that was 2009.

Very... intriguing hearing about at least the barest possibility of a sequel to Excalibur. I've read all of your books many times over, but that one gets special repeat reading treatment. The Galactics in that book would make a much more diverse and satisfying antagonist for a good old fashioned, multi-book straight up military space opera than the Bhaaags.. err... bugs of the Starfire series, even though I loved that as well. The bugs were easy to hate, but pretty one-dimensional (purposefully, but still...)

It's fun after reading that novel to daydream of the early days of the Terran advance into an unsuspecting Galactic Federation. I'd be pure bliss to actually get to read it.
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:40 pm

namelessfly

I just finished the reread of AT.

It isnot among my favorite Weber books which are the Honor Harrington series and Weber's BOLO series (The Road to Damascus!!!)

However; the last two paragraphs where Aston and Ludmilla are watching theexplosionfrom her carrier task force is penultimate.
Post by RHWoodman   » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:26 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

There needs to be a sequel or two to Apocalypse Troll.
Post by biochem   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:20 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Currently working on Cauldron. I've also got about 12,000 words on the next Safehold (working title Hell's Foundations Quiver), which will undoubtedly be followed by the sequel to either Freedom from the Shadows or A Rising Thunder. We also have the next Honorverse companion in the works; Tim Zahn, Tom Pope, and I will be looking at the sequel to Call to Duty; and Joelle Presby and I are probably about 66% through with the third Multiverse book. Oh, and Baen and I are about to contract for a 5-volume fantasy series which will take the war between Norfressa and Kontovar to a conclusions.

Sides that, nothing much.

I wonder how far he's gotten in the last couple of weeks. I hope that the comic book / movie fights in the Honorverse forum haven't been too distracting. (Frankly they would be distracting for me. It's not just the time spent commenting on the issue, but also the mental distraction of the arguments)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:
iranuke wrote:You know, I've wondered why they never thought of using the same technique as Milla used on Dick. You take a terminally ill patient and give them a shot at immortality. Milla and Dick donate blood once every 6 weeks, one unit of blood is about 1/2 liter so every 6 weeks you have about 500 doses for the terminally ill. Within a fairly short time, you would have a fairly large population of Thuselas, enough to dose all terminally ill.

Lets play with the numbers. With a world population of 7 billion, that means that about 100 million die each year. Dosing say 50 million (got to account for accidents) with a 1 in 1000 success ratio would yield 50,000 Thuselas. Not a very rapid increase, but it would have plot possibilities.

And then Milla and Dick would get hit by a class action lawsuit from the families of the people the Thusela transfusion did not work on. Suddenly our cool, military oriented sci-fi novel transforms into a Grisham book. :lol:

I think there's another way. Leonovna's symbiote was...errrm...repeatedly exposed to samples of Aston's DNA over the course of several months. That has to have improved his chances.

So, you take your volunteer (probably with some terminal condition in the early days) and prepare a number of tissue cultures. Use something easy to obtain and grow, like epithelial cells from the mouth. Add one drop of Leonovna's blood to the first culture. It will probably self-destruct post haste. No matter. Take one drop of the result and add it to the second culture. Continue the process, putting one drop from the previous trial into the next culture. At each stage, the cells (or whatever) that are least poorly adapted to the new host should be the most numerous.

Eventually, the symbiote should adapt. When it stops destroying the cultures, introduce it to cells from the patient's muscles, liver, etc. and when it succeeds with everything, try it on the patient. This procedure should give somewhat better odds than 1:1,000.
--------------------
The basic principle of Big Government is getting nine women pregnant in order to produce a baby in one month.
Post by biochem   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:59 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:
iranuke wrote:
You know, I've wondered why they never thought of using the same technique as Milla used on Dick. You take a terminally ill patient and give them a shot at immortality. Milla and Dick donate blood once every 6 weeks, one unit of blood is about 1/2 liter so every 6 weeks you have about 500 doses for the terminally ill. Within a fairly short time, you would have a fairly large population of Thuselas, enough to dose all terminally ill.

Lets play with the numbers. With a world population of 7 billion, that means that about 100 million die each year. Dosing say 50 million (got to account for accidents) with a 1 in 1000 success ratio would yield 50,000 Thuselas. Not a very rapid increase, but it would have plot possibilities.

And then Milla and Dick would get hit by a class action lawsuit from the families of the people the Thusela transfusion did not work on. Suddenly our cool, military oriented sci-fi novel transforms into a Grisham book.

I think there's another way. Leonovna's symbiote was...errrm...repeatedly exposed to samples of Aston's DNA over the course of several months. That has to have improved his chances.

So, you take your volunteer (probably with some terminal condition in the early days) and prepare a number of tissue cultures. Use something easy to obtain and grow, like epithelial cells from the mouth. Add one drop of Leonovna's blood to the first culture. It will probably self-destruct post haste. No matter. Take one drop of the result and add it to the second culture. Continue the process, putting one drop from the previous trial into the next culture. At each stage, the cells (or whatever) that are least poorly adapted to the new host should be the most numerous.

Eventually, the symbiote should adapt. When it stops destroying the cultures, introduce it to cells from the patient's muscles, liver, etc. and when it succeeds with everything, try it on the patient. This procedure should give somewhat better odds than 1:1,000.

I would have thought that they would have tried that in Milla's timeline. Given the advantages of the symbiote, I would have expected them to have experimented in every possible way to increase it's efficacy.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

biochem wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:

I would have thought that they would have tried that in Milla's timeline. Given the advantages of the symbiote, I would have expected them to have experimented in every possible way to increase it's efficacy.

Yeah, but did the AUTHOR think of it?

Return to Apocalypse Troll