Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

sequel or prequel?

Talk about the time traveling Kanga invasion.
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by iranuke   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:22 pm

iranuke
Commander

Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:49 am
Location: Longview, WA

TheGlyphstone wrote:, Thuselas never exist except in Milla+Dick's descendants (easily rendered extinct by one generation being only male children).



You know, I've wondered why they never thought of using the same technique as Milla used on Dick. You take a terminally ill patient and give them a shot at immortality. Milla and Dick donate blood once every 6 weeks, one unit of blood is about 1/2 liter so every 6 weeks you have about 500 doses for the terminally ill. Within a fairly short time, you would have a fairly large population of Thuselas, enough to dose all terminally ill.

Lets play with the numbers. With a world population of 7 billion, that means that about 100 million die each year. Dosing say 50 million (got to account for accidents) with a 1 in 1000 success ratio would yield 50,000 Thuselas. Not a very rapid increase, but it would have plot possibilities.
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by Henry Brown   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Greenville NC

iranuke wrote:You know, I've wondered why they never thought of using the same technique as Milla used on Dick. You take a terminally ill patient and give them a shot at immortality. Milla and Dick donate blood once every 6 weeks, one unit of blood is about 1/2 liter so every 6 weeks you have about 500 doses for the terminally ill. Within a fairly short time, you would have a fairly large population of Thuselas, enough to dose all terminally ill.

Lets play with the numbers. With a world population of 7 billion, that means that about 100 million die each year. Dosing say 50 million (got to account for accidents) with a 1 in 1000 success ratio would yield 50,000 Thuselas. Not a very rapid increase, but it would have plot possibilities.


And then Milla and Dick would get hit by a class action lawsuit from the families of the people the Thusela transfusion did not work on. Suddenly our cool, military oriented sci-fi novel transforms into a Grisham book. :lol:
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by biochem   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:40 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: USA

You know, I've wondered why they never thought of using the same technique as Milla used on Dick. You take a terminally ill patient and give them a shot at immortality. Milla and Dick donate blood once every 6 weeks, one unit of blood is about 1/2 liter so every 6 weeks you have about 500 doses for the terminally ill. Within a fairly short time, you would have a fairly large population of Thuselas, enough to dose all terminally ill.

Lets play with the numbers. With a world population of 7 billion, that means that about 100 million die each year. Dosing say 50 million (got to account for accidents) with a 1 in 1000 success ratio would yield 50,000 Thuselas. Not a very rapid increase, but it would have plot possibilities.


Informed consent may get to be somewhat interesting. Many people may NOT want to be immortal when everyone they love is going to die. They may prefer to die rather than live a very long lifetime without their loved ones. In democracies, some sort of informed consent will be required. But I can see authoritarian governments like China's dosing anyone they can to increase their own personal power.

I can also see meglomaniacs (Oh say like the nutcase in North Korea) who may decide to dose 10,000s of women in their countries forcing the "lucky" winners into a harem to bred immortal children. Wouldn't that be fun for the rest of the planet, having crazy Kim the 3rd be immortal
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by GregD   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:55 pm

GregD
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:29 pm

runsforcelery wrote:Currently working on Cauldron. I've also got about 12,000 words on the next Safehold (working title Hell's Foundations Quiver), which will undoubtedly be followed by the sequel to either Freedom from the Shadows or A Rising Thunder. We also have the next Honorverse companion in the works; Tim Zahn, Tom Pope, and I will be looking at the sequel to Call to Duty; and Joelle Presby and I are probably about 66% through with the third Multiverse book. Oh, and Baen and I are about to contract for a 5-volume fantasy series which will take the war between Norfressa and Kontovar to a conclusions.


Is Freedom from the Shadows a "brain fade" on Shadows of Freedom? Or is there a book out that I'm missing? :-)
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by kbus888   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1980
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

=2014-01-10=
Hi GregD

I think you're right - - it's a "brain fart" !!

R
.
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:29 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:39 am
Location: South Carolina

John Prigent wrote:Ooh! Ooh! What is Freedom from the Shadows? That sounds interesting :(

Cheers

John

runsforcelery wrote:
Currently working on Cauldron. I've also got about 12,000 words on the next Safehold (working title Hell's Foundations Quiver), which will undoubtedly be followed by the sequel to either Freedom from the Shadows or A Rising Thunder. We also have the next Honorverse companion in the works; Tim Zahn, Tom Pope, and I will be looking at the sequel to Call to Duty; and Joelle Presby and I are probably about 66% through with the third Multiverse book. Oh, and Baen and I are about to contract for a 5-volume fantasy series which will take the war between Norfressa and Kontovar to a conclusions.

Sides that, nothing much. :)



Freedom from the Shadows is, alas, an example of authorial mental fatigue and a reversion to my original working title for a certain novel about a certain cousin of a certain monarch. :oops:


"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:31 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:39 am
Location: South Carolina

EdThomas wrote:RFC, I hope you know all of us out here are pulling for ALL the Webers'.


I do, and thank you all. It'd be nice if you didn't have to pull for She Who Must Be Obeyed (in Greenville), but I really do have some (modest) hopes that this may be the last spinal for quite a while. After all, we're running out of spine to be operated on! :roll:


"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by kbus888   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:07 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1980
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

=2014-01-10=

We all wish you both the strength to handle all that comes your way.

I am channeling in your direction all the peace and love I am given today.

R
.

runsforcelery wrote:.
EdThomas wrote:.
RFC, I hope you know all of us out here are pulling for ALL the Webers'.


I do, and thank you all. It'd be nice if you didn't have to pull for She Who Must Be Obeyed (in Greenville), but I really do have some (modest) hopes that this may be the last spinal for quite a while. After all, we're running out of spine to be operated on! :roll:
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:06 pm

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:08 pm

Henry Brown wrote:
iranuke wrote:You know, I've wondered why they never thought of using the same technique as Milla used on Dick. You take a terminally ill patient and give them a shot at immortality. Milla and Dick donate blood once every 6 weeks, one unit of blood is about 1/2 liter so every 6 weeks you have about 500 doses for the terminally ill. Within a fairly short time, you would have a fairly large population of Thuselas, enough to dose all terminally ill.

Lets play with the numbers. With a world population of 7 billion, that means that about 100 million die each year. Dosing say 50 million (got to account for accidents) with a 1 in 1000 success ratio would yield 50,000 Thuselas. Not a very rapid increase, but it would have plot possibilities.


And then Milla and Dick would get hit by a class action lawsuit from the families of the people the Thusela transfusion did not work on. Suddenly our cool, military oriented sci-fi novel transforms into a Grisham book. :lol:



Call it 'Blood Money'. Guaranteed NYT #1 best-seller. I'm sure RFC has space on his literary plate to branch out into a new genre...
Top
Re: sequel or prequel?
Post by Garth 2   » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:54 am

Garth 2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:04 am

Both could be interesting, but given that Milla is now in a different universe. Any stories wouldn't be our history.

Sequels resolving around the unification of Earth could be interesting, or possible a child/grandchild of Milla being in the new Earth military.
Top

Return to Apocalypse Troll