Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Brexit, Death of the European Union?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Brexit, Death of the European Union?
Post by munroburton   » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:43 pm

munroburton
Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:I have absolutely no idea as to how this will end, and to be honest, it fills me with despair.

It might end up up with HB [a form of GBH] - but with the absolute load of shysters, entitled gits and cretins in the government/brexit wing that is not going to end well.

I think the writing was on the wall after the first round of indicative votes. 400 and then 422 MPs voted against no deal and a "managed" no deal options, with approximately 80 abstentations(government payroll). Only 160 MPs voted in favour.

It takes 436 MPs to trigger an immediate snap election. That is the price of a long extension, as well as being required to participate in European elections, which will turn into a de facto referendum on Brexit, taking place before the UK general election does. The hardest Brexiteers don't have the 206 MPs they need to block this supermajority.

Nobody knows how that general election will turn out. The new parties are both capable of capturing Labour and Tory voters. Because we use FPTP, polling is on shaky ground predicting how those vote shifts will affect overall results.

But the European elections run under proportional representation. The last poll suggested "hard Brexit" parties would get a combined 42%, the "hard Remain" parties getting around 25% and... Labour getting 30%, making their Brexit policy in that election annoyingly pivotal.

Unless Macron or somebody else fed up with the UK government says "au revoir" and blocks any long extension, we'll be getting these terms and conditions next Wednesday. Parliament will grudingly accept them and then the electorate will be asked to go and vote twice in rapid succession.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:I have absolutely no idea as to how this will end, and to be honest, it fills me with despair.

https://youtu.be/CnR3Tyrg_10

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am

TFLYTSNBN

Annachie wrote:

https://youtu.be/CnR3Tyrg_10

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Boom!

Return to Politics