Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Something's Burning

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Something's Burning
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Learned something new today.

The French Government rather than the Catholic Church actually owns the Notre Dame Cathderal. As a result, it is the state rather than the church that has authority over the building.

They will replace the collapsed spire with a mineret from which will issue the muslim call to prayer four times a day.

Learned something new today.

Tfly believes anything on the internet so long as it doesn’t contradict his passionately-held misconceptions.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:33 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:

The French Government rather than the Catholic Church actually owns the Notre Dame Cathderal. As a result, it is the state rather than the church that has authority over the building.

They will replace the collapsed spire with a mineret from which will issue the muslim call to prayer four times a day.

Learned something new today

Tfly believes anything on the internet so long as it doesn’t contradict his passionately-held misconceptions.

I'm actually going to assume that last bit from him was more a really stupid bigoted attempt at a "joke" than gullible idiocy...
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:51 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Get your facts right, there are 5 prayer calls per day, and during Ramadan it goes up due to additional calls in the night.

I worked in Saudi for 36 years so I think I am correct.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:12 pm

TFLYTSNBN

gcomeau wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:

Learned something new today

I'm actually going to assume that last bit from him was more a really stupid bigoted attempt at a "joke" than gullible idiocy...

If you had ever ventured from your home planet to visit Earth and tour the lands bordering the Eastern Mediterranean, you would have discovered an abundance of Jewish synogogues and Christian churchs that were transformed into mosques when those lands were conquered by Muslims.

My comment was a sarcastic joke but it was neither stupid bigotry or gullible idiocy. My sarcastic joke is actually a reasonable prediction of future reality based on demographics and the effete, politically correct sensibilities of French leaders.
Post by The E   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:06 am

The E
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
My comment was a sarcastic joke but it was neither stupid bigotry or gullible idiocy. My sarcastic joke is actually a reasonable prediction of future reality based on demographics and the effete, politically correct sensibilities of French leaders.

You've never met a French person in your life.
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:21 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:My comment was a sarcastic joke but it was neither stupid bigotry or gullible idiocy. My sarcastic joke is actually a reasonable prediction of future reality based on demographics and the effete, politically correct sensibilities of French leaders.

While they did drop the ball in WWII, there is a darned good reason why a great many military terms and concepts derive from France and the French.
As a nation, France can hold grudges like no-one's business. They can be very relaxed about things that get 'murikans all het up, but when a Frenchman gets angry... at the very least, things start burning.
Tfly, do not diss the French. Their leaders may be somewhat disconnected from the grassroots, but the grassroots are still darned powerful. The French Leaders know from history what happens if they get too far from what the public thinks is acceptable. Look up the French Revolution sometime...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:22 am

TFLYTSNBN

Michael Everett wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:My comment was a sarcastic joke but it was neither stupid bigotry or gullible idiocy. My sarcastic joke is actually a reasonable prediction of future reality based on demographics and the effete, politically correct sensibilities of French leaders.

While they did drop the ball in WWII, there is a darned good reason why a great many military terms and concepts derive from France and the French.
As a nation, France can hold grudges like no-one's business. They can be very relaxed about things that get 'murikans all het up, but when a Frenchman gets angry... at the very least, things start burning.
Tfly, do not diss the French. Their leaders may be somewhat disconnected from the grassroots, but the grassroots are still darned powerful. The French Leaders know from history what happens if they get too far from what the public thinks is acceptable. Look up the French Revolution sometime...

I see that dynamic in the Yellow Vest protestors. PM Micron will handle the problem by asking the EU to send them from riot police, from Germany.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:38 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Post by gcomeau   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:53 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Yes, some random person wrote something on some obscure architectural website somewhere on the internet.

"So it begins" indeed. :roll:
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The E wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:

You've never met a French person in your life.

I have met a few Frenchmen.
They all reminded me of this guy.

https://youtu.be/1lsQfTaStcs

One Frenchmen that I met became very irate when I told his wife that she would have to take a bath before I would inseminate her.

Return to Politics