Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

16-yr-old voters in US?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: 16-yr-old voters in US?
Post by Annachie   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you have an incompetant lawyer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

As would be expected you are quite correct about the firearm technicalities.
Every country has its own laws, but even so I am puzzled as to why you can't give your tenant sufficient notice of lease cancellation, and just evict him regardless of cause?
On the discharging of a firearm towards a person, that here would be a national headline incident that no local court could have glossed over.
On the marijunna trafficking point, I am always amused by US citizens conveniently forgetting that George Washington grew it using slave labour.
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:

The idea isn't to get more people to vote. Hopefully, if it comes to pass that will be a benefit. But the notion was first raised by teenagers themselves, who have been more vocal and political as of late, considering they are dying in record numbers in classroom settings. Supposedly safe environments. If a kid can be sent off to war, he ought to have voting privileges.

Well, schools have become war zones and many 16-yr-olds are as political, if not more, as many adults.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Actually, No on the schools becoming war zones.

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/victims/ ... aDate=2016

Your statistics has very little to do with the mindset and fear of the many students in schools across the country, who have to concentrate on learning while jumping and cowering in fear at the previously innocent sound of a book falling on the floor. Only two points are needing to make a straight line. How many school shootings have there been?

In my day, there was the real fear of global thermonuclear war, especially in my military hometown that is certainly high on the Kremlin's list to send a few ICBMs as a present. Present day kids have that - as well as being shot in their own school - to worry about. Without even the guarantee of decency afforded true criminals before their execution, of having a last meal.

How many kids across the country are having nightmares wondering if they are next? Having to split their attention between their lesson, the teacher and the front door? It makes me damn sad. My niece entered college graduating high school years before turning 18, being a child prodigy. She wears a specially made bullet-proof backpack. Oh the endless tears of her parents and loved ones over the realities of her learning environment.

Shame on the insensitivity of your decision to post more misplaced statistics, FLY. I'm disappointed in you.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I stand by the statistics. The school shootings and the fear IS overhyped. There might not have been as many mass shootings at schools back in the 1990s, but many of the gang and narcotics related shootings occurred at schools.

As for your outrage, I am dealing with a situation where the local judges and jurors are giving a free pass to my marijunna bootlegging tenant who fired a 12 gauge shotgun, probably loaded with 450 grain slugs, at my son. An imbecile county Judge refused our petition to evict and a jury of fucktards refused to convict because their scum sucking whore of an attorney presented perjured testimony by a fellow bootlegger to support the Elmer Fudd defense. This alleged "gun expert" claimed that the tennant's Remington 870 could not have fired deadly buckshot much less slugs (twice the wounding capacity of a .50 BMG) because it has a choke "which would cause the barrel to explode just like what happens when Buggs Bunny shoves a carrot in the muzzle of Elmer Fudd's shotgun." Both Foster Slugs and Breneke Slugs are specifically designed to be fired through a choke. You can change the barrel on a Remington 870 in less than 30 seconds anyway. Just for context, the primary weapons used at Columbine, the San Yasidro McDonalds, Washington Navy Yard, Sante Fe Texas and Anapolis newsroom massacres were 12 gauge shotguns.

You can feed me feces about gun violence and fear when my local community holds my marijunna trafficking tennant accountable for his gun violence.

What does any of that have to do with the real fear school kids across the country are living and dying with that each day will be their last, and that because of it, they'd like to vote?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:17 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Annachie wrote:Sounds like you have an incompetant lawyer.

I have the insane landlord tenancy combined with marijunna law and promotional policy plus an incompetent Judge.
He exercised the same discernment in my case that enabled him to remain oblivious to his wife's flagrant, year long, extramarrital affair until she got herself arrested for stalking her boyfriend. The eviction trial coincided with the Bar Association proceedings to disbar the bitch for committing perjury by denying it under oath. I don't exclude the possibility that the judge's wife gave him a dose of syphyllus which pennicillan can not cure and has taken a toll on his brain.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:19 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:As would be expected you are quite correct about the firearm technicalities.
Every country has its own laws, but even so I am puzzled as to why you can't give your tenant sufficient notice of lease cancellation, and just evict him regardless of cause?
On the discharging of a firearm towards a person, that here would be a national headline incident that no local court could have glossed over.
On the marijunna trafficking point, I am always amused by US citizens conveniently forgetting that George Washington grew it using slave labour.

Tenancy laws are tilted in favor of tennants, plus they are retired. Money quote from the police interview, "we're old. We don't have time to shoot at children."
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:51 pm

TFLYTSNBN

cthia wrote:

What does any of that have to do with the real fear school kids across the country are living and dying with that each day will be their last, and that because of it, they'd like to vote?

My point is that while the fear is very real, the fear is motivated by a profound overhyping of the threat. Children are far more likely to be beaten, bludgeoned, burned, stabbed or drowned by their own mothers than they are to be killed in a mass school shooting. The fact that teenagers are so suseptible to the overhyping is why they are not yet mature enough to vote. Then again, most adults arent mature enough to vote either.. I dont want to see that Ian Hogg attention whore dictate policy while the kid who got grieviously wounded helping others escape is ignored.

You are correct that there has been a huge increase in mass public shootings in recent years. These tragedies have not only been shamelessly exploited to advance a political agenda, they seem to have been intentionally incited to advance a political agenda.

The number of mass sniper attacks on police in 2016 was absolutely unprecedented. The fact that all of the perpetrators were African-Americans motivated by Black Lives Matter was virtually ignored or justified. Also not noticed was the use of very rare and expensive firearms that had previously never been used to kill a police officer. President Obama exploited every memorial service to spew Black Lives Matter propaganda which seemed to inspire the next attack. These attacks targeting police finally stopped only after a police chief in Lousianna refused to have a public memorial service to deny President Obama a pkatform to incite the next attack. That police chief happens to be black.

Your niece's backpack with Kevlar liner is not an entirely irrational response. Does she understand that while it might be effective against a mass shooter with a handgun (which is actually more likely than a mass shooter with an "Assault Rifle," any centerfire rifle will turn that Kevlar into Swiss cheese? More importantly, is your niece perceptive enough to advocate for legal and judicial reforms that will hold potential mass shooters responsible for crimes before they escalate to mass murder? Most of the mass shooters dont seem to have criminal records but they grow up in an environment where people can commit numerous violent crimes with little risk of being arrested much less prosecuted and convicted.

When a Judge and a Jury can be so imbecilic that they can not recognize that a pair of marijunna bootleggers (not the hemp that George Washington grew, but Washington was also a whiskey distiller) who offer the excuse "we're old. We dont have time to shoot at children," are criminally insane, the problem isn't guns.
Post by alphapatch   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:44 pm

alphapatch
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia wrote:Should the legal national voting age be lowered to 16 in the US, mimicking some other countries? It was shot down in Washington, D.C., this week.

Some cities have already lowered the voting age for local elections.

Actually, I am of the opinion the right to vote should be further restricted. Maybe a system where the only ones who can vote are military veterans. Or only people who pay more in income tax than they get back.
Post by noblehunter   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:51 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

alphapatch wrote:Actually, I am of the opinion the right to vote should be further restricted. Maybe a system where the only ones who can vote are military veterans. Or only people who pay more in income tax than they get back.

The trick is how to manage that without creating a permanent underclass. Especially one that decides since they can't vote, they'll turn to more direct methods of acquiring power. Look at how powerful the idea of being disenfranchised is in the US. How do you think people would react if they were explicitly not allowed to vote instead of the current suppression/defrauded narrative?

I think there's a reason modern democracies have ended up with universal suffrage.
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

alphapatch wrote:Actually, I am of the opinion the right to vote should be further restricted. Maybe a system where the only ones who can vote are military veterans. Or only people who pay more in income tax than they get back.

The first one is a little too Starship Troopers for me to support. The second one is what the Star Kingdom of Manticore uses (with a 1-cent differential), but the Star Kingdom doesn't really rely on income tax since it has the Wormhole Junction which is a massive cash-boost in its own right, so it can afford to keep taxes low and virtually optional.

The problem is that as soon as you start restricting a franchise, you had better put in some Adamantium-level protections to prevent the restrictions being adjusted, or you will eventually end up with a Kleptocracy where only those worth enough to bribe their way into power are allowed to vote. Someone savvy enough may end up ruling via the One Man/One Vote system - he is the man, he has the vote.

This is a classic case not of a slippery slope but an illusion-covered cliff. You need to stay the heck away from where you suspect the edge might possibly be.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:33 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

alphapatch wrote:
cthia wrote:Should the legal national voting age be lowered to 16 in the US, mimicking some other countries? It was shot down in Washington, D.C., this week.

Some cities have already lowered the voting age for local elections.

Actually, I am of the opinion the right to vote should be further restricted. Maybe a system where the only ones who can vote are military veterans. Or only people who pay more in income tax than they get back.
Something like a poll tax, or a literacy requirement?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Politics