Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

16-yr-old voters in US?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
16-yr-old voters in US?
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:36 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Should the legal national voting age be lowered to 16 in the US, mimicking some other countries? It was shot down in Washington, D.C., this week.

Some cities have already lowered the voting age for local elections.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: 16-yr-old voters in US?
Post by Daryl   » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:27 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Simple question with a complex answer.
Many 16 year olds couldn't care less. Many others wouldn't have a clue about issues. However others are interested and better informed than many adults. Certainly in our country's case with compulsory voting it wouldn't be sensible, but a voluntary voting system may winnow out all but those who should vote.
cthia wrote:Should the legal national voting age be lowered to 16 in the US, mimicking some other countries? It was shot down in Washington, D.C., this week.

Some cities have already lowered the voting age for local elections.
Post by aairfccha   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:11 pm

aairfccha
Commander

I don't see too much of a point, if the idea is to get more people to vote, automatic voter registration and weekend voting sound more effective.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

aairfccha wrote:I don't see too much of a point, if the idea is to get more people to vote, automatic voter registration and weekend voting sound more effective.
Also preferental and pencil on paper.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

aairfccha wrote:I don't see too much of a point, if the idea is to get more people to vote, automatic voter registration and weekend voting sound more effective.

The idea isn't to get more people to vote. Hopefully, if it comes to pass that will be a benefit. But the notion was first raised by teenagers themselves, who have been more vocal and political as of late, considering they are dying in record numbers in classroom settings. Supposedly safe environments. If a kid can be sent off to war, he ought to have voting privileges.

Well, schools have become war zones and many 16-yr-olds are as political, if not more, as many adults.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:56 am

TFLYTSNBN

cthia wrote:

The idea isn't to get more people to vote. Hopefully, if it comes to pass that will be a benefit. But the notion was first raised by teenagers themselves, who have been more vocal and political as of late, considering they are dying in record numbers in classroom settings. Supposedly safe environments. If a kid can be sent off to war, he ought to have voting privileges.

Well, schools have become war zones and many 16-yr-olds are as political, if not more, as many adults.

Actually, No on the schools becoming war zones.

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/victims/ ... aDate=2016
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 am

Dilandu
Admiral

cthia wrote:Well, schools have become war zones and many 16-yr-olds are as political, if not more, as many adults.

This is logic's abuse on quite high level.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Joat42   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:25 am

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Actually, No on the schools becoming war zones.

The link you provided is aggregate statistics for juvenile shootings, it has very very little to do with shootings at schools.

Here is a more relevant link:
https://www.campussafetymagazine.com/sa ... ideshow/9/

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Your statistics has very little to do with the mindset and fear of the many students in schools across the country, who have to concentrate on learning while jumping and cowering in fear at the previously innocent sound of a book falling on the floor. Only two points are needing to make a straight line. How many school shootings have there been?

In my day, there was the real fear of global thermonuclear war, especially in my military hometown that is certainly high on the Kremlin's list to send a few ICBMs as a present. Present day kids have that - as well as being shot in their own school - to worry about. Without even the guarantee of decency afforded true criminals before their execution, of having a last meal.

How many kids across the country are having nightmares wondering if they are next? Having to split their attention between their lesson, the teacher and the front door? It makes me damn sad. My niece entered college graduating high school years before turning 18, being a child prodigy. She wears a specially made bullet-proof backpack. Oh the endless tears of her parents and loved ones over the realities of her learning environment.

Shame on the insensitivity of your decision to post more misplaced statistics, FLY. I'm disappointed in you.

Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:21 pm

TFLYTSNBN

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:

Your statistics has very little to do with the mindset and fear of the many students in schools across the country, who have to concentrate on learning while jumping and cowering in fear at the previously innocent sound of a book falling on the floor. Only two points are needing to make a straight line. How many school shootings have there been?

In my day, there was the real fear of global thermonuclear war, especially in my military hometown that is certainly high on the Kremlin's list to send a few ICBMs as a present. Present day kids have that - as well as being shot in their own school - to worry about. Without even the guarantee of decency afforded true criminals before their execution, of having a last meal.

How many kids across the country are having nightmares wondering if they are next? Having to split their attention between their lesson, the teacher and the front door? It makes me damn sad. My niece entered college graduating high school years before turning 18, being a child prodigy. She wears a specially made bullet-proof backpack. Oh the endless tears of her parents and loved ones over the realities of her learning environment.

Shame on the insensitivity of your decision to post more misplaced statistics, FLY. I'm disappointed in you.

I stand by the statistics. The school shootings and the fear IS overhyped. There might not have been as many mass shootings at schools back in the 1990s, but many of the gang and narcotics related shootings occurred at schools.

As for your outrage, I am dealing with a situation where the local judges and jurors are giving a free pass to my marijunna bootlegging tenant who fired a 12 gauge shotgun, probably loaded with 450 grain slugs, at my son. An imbecile county Judge refused our petition to evict and a jury of fucktards refused to convict because their scum sucking whore of an attorney presented perjured testimony by a fellow bootlegger to support the Elmer Fudd defense. This alleged "gun expert" claimed that the tennant's Remington 870 could not have fired deadly buckshot much less slugs (twice the wounding capacity of a .50 BMG) because it has a choke "which would cause the barrel to explode just like what happens when Buggs Bunny shoves a carrot in the muzzle of Elmer Fudd's shotgun." Both Foster Slugs and Breneke Slugs are specifically designed to be fired through a choke. You can change the barrel on a Remington 870 in less than 30 seconds anyway. Just for context, the primary weapons used at Columbine, the San Yasidro McDonalds, Washington Navy Yard, Sante Fe Texas and Anapolis newsroom massacres were 12 gauge shotguns.

You can feed me feces about gun violence and fear when my local community holds my marijunna trafficking tennant accountable for his gun violence.

Return to Politics